Home Sports Talk
Options

Not defending Odell Beckham, Jr. but.....................

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

During the season OBJ has taken flack for wearing jewelry on the field, having the wrong shoes and having a dark face mask. I'm not sure about the first, but the last two involved the NFL intervening during the games. The face mask incident happened during a day game where it was evidently to shade from the sun, the NFL said something like it prevented defenders from seeing his eyes. They made him change to a clear face mask during the game.

Fast forward to tonight's MNF between the Ravens and LA Rams.

If you notice, Mark Ingram is wearing a face mask which makes him look like Darth Vader. I'm left wondering why the NFL Office isn't all over it to make Ingram change to a clear face mask?? Can any speculate on why past the obvious??

Al H.

Comments

• Options

not the whole helmet, just the visor!!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 1998, the league banned dark colored visors because medical personnel could not see a player’s eyes once they attended to him on the field when an injury would occur, especially if the player was knocked out or concussed.

OBJ’s point of seeing other players in the league wearing colored or varied visors does ring true in this season for many reasons; but each is medically approved or they are the new Oakley visors.

There are presently 14 players medically cleared for dark visors. I don’t have a list but I assume Ingram is on it.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll add this - given the timing of it, there’s a decent chance it was a Billy Martin/pine tar type of coaching move, to take their “best player” off the field on 3rd and goal.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand the whole Visor thing. Lots and I mean lots of players have dark masks. And why do you need to see their eyes??

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

if the british had visors at bunker hill we would all be drinking tea instead of coffee!

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

@Elliot said:
    Too bad Garrett is not there to rip his helmet off.

Well they sent Rudolph in, but he couldn't get it off.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I don't understand the whole Visor thing. Lots and I mean lots of players have dark masks. And why do you need to see their eyes??

It's for concussion testing.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabe said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It's for concussion testing.

You would think that they would take the helmet off for that.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

You would think that they would take the helmet off for that.

Phrased it wrong - it's for reading a player to see if he's OK while on the field.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

After living and playing in the New York City fishbowl, Beckham has got to be missing the attention and endorsement money. He’s also been largely ignored in the Cleveland offense. Overall it has to have been a frustrating year for him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

So much hype for the Browns this off season. They are starting to play much better. Would like to see OBJ focus more on his play than his attire, etc.

• Options

FWIW, OBJ has been battling a groin injury since Training Camp, on into the Pre-season and now at Week 12 it still limits his practice and Game Day performance.

the continued harping on him says more about the fans and media than it does about him. instead of being criticized for lackluster play it might be better to acknowledge the injury and maybe, just maybe, cut the guy some slack and applaud his toughness for playing through a very real and nagging injury.

other players might take a game or two off, others might use it as an excuse with the media: OBJ does neither and yet he is still hated.

get over it guys. :)

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

the continued harping on him says more about the fans and media than it does about him. instead of being criticized for lackluster play it might be better to acknowledge the injury and maybe, just maybe, cut the guy some slack and applaud his toughness for playing through a very real and nagging injury.

Yeah no . Hating is what we do , its fun.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m > @keets said:

FWIW, OBJ has been battling a groin injury since Training Camp, on into the Pre-season and now at Week 12 it still limits his practice and Game Day performance.

other players might take a game or two off, others might use it as an excuse with the media: OBJ does neither and yet he is still hated.

get over it guys. :)

lol OBJ has been hurt for four years now. Amazing what homerism does to the brain. Not me. Disgusted with the prima Donna since he took a playoff week and game off vs Green Bay. Enjoy getting OLD quick OBJ!!!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240