Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1907 Gold Liberty Head/Quarter Eagle - Doubling on date?

Three6ohchrisThree6ohchris Posts: 5
edited November 22, 2019 2:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently acquired this 1907 Gold Liberty Head and I noticed on the date there seems to be a little "extra" underneath the 7 on the date. Is this something that's normal? Or would it be considered Doubling or an error? Has anyone seen this on another one of these coins? I have searched everywhere and have found nothing. Help me Collectors Universe! You're my only hope! 🙂

I've attached a few pictures, although it's very tough to get a really clear image without a macro lens.

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like a re-punched date ( RPD )

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Three6ohchris....Welcome aboard.... It looks like a repunched 7... Good catch. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures.

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Three6ohchris....Welcome aboard.... It looks like a repunched 7... Good catch. Cheers, RickO

@ifthevamzarockin said:
    Welcome to the forum! :)

Looks like a re-punched date ( RPD )

Thank you both. I look forward to participating and learning as much as i can while here.
    Is this common, or considered an error? I'd like to send it off to get graded but not sure if i need to select the option for errors, etc. Pardon my ignorance on this. I'm learning! 🙂

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like it might be in the AU range and errors on large gold coins don't command much of a premium most of the time.
    I think I would save the money and not have it graded. If you have the money and just want to protect it for the long term you could look at grading.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would keep it as is....JMO... However, being a new collector, you may want to preserve your early discovery....Up to you...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

RPD - Die Variety.

These are fairly common, and carry no premium, as far as I know.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin! I love $2 1/2's (mostly Indians though)

• Options

Thank you for the feedback and info, everyone. This helps a lot.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

good eye :)

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 5, 2022 2:51AM

It seems I have the same repunched '7' as @Three6ohchris.

Now, even more pronounced, here is another RPD version but more over the entire date. What is interesting is how much the repunched '1' transcends into the denticles. Very interesting.

My 3rd one may also ever-so-slightly be repunched at the top of the '1'. This one has been graded PCGS MS64:

I have four of this date and you can see how much variation there was for 1907. Although this final one has an unfortunatee slash across the cheek, it is interesting in the date area a little bit... especially in the '1' in the date. Apologies for the incorrect coloring hue from my macro camera set-up here. It seems a re-take is in order.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen several 1907 $2.5 coins with this feature. Interesting coin but no added value.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file