Home U.S. Coin Forum

What's the longest a discussion about a new mint release has lasted on CU?

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

A limited mintage SE was offered a week ago. It sold out. Some here got one. Some here got more than one. Some here missed out on this "gift" to collect or flip.

When will it be "OLD NEWS?" Will folks be posting about this coin in January? What is the longest one of these discussions about one of these popular issues has lasted on CU in the past?

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    A limited mintage SE was offered a week ago. It sold out. Some here got one. Some here got more than one. Some here missed out on this "gift" to collect or flip.

When will it be "OLD NEWS?" Will folks be posting about this coin in January? What is the longest one of these discussions about one of these popular issues has lasted on CU in the past?

I think I personally had 1000 posts on the 2017 Enhanced Uncirculated set over a period of several months.

• CCDollarCCDollar Posts: 717 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2016-W Gold Mercury Dime was quite popular...

Nickel Triumph...My Led Zepps
  • 92vette92vette Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

2011 5 coin silver eagle anniversary set was epic.

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long do the discussions last? This issue had about four discussion running at the same time!

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall the Apollo 11 commem thread had legs.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

The UHR has a lot of steam, and the Martha not so much.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kennedy piece and the Lipton saga lasted a while

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They last entirely too long.... the buildup is usually about a week and a half.... then the release goes another two weeks...then the 'Shipped/received' threads another two - three weeks....So five to six weeks anyway....Cheers, RickO

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you would get off your butt (or stay on it) and find some die varieties, you can personally keep it going for at least a year. Even fake a die variety and see how long it takes people to figure it out. :)

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is one of the 2006 20th Anniversary SAE threads would be the longest but just searching for it would take all winter with all the results of a 2006 20th anniversary Search.

@shorecoll said:
    If you would get off your butt (or stay on it) and find some die varieties, you can personally keep it going for at least a year. Even fake a die variety and see how long it takes people to figure it out. :)

1846/9? discussion?

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

My money would be on the 5 oz American the Beautiful coins. I can't find the original, but that thread had thousands of posts and lasted the better part of a year, I believe. The issue was the 5 or so bullion dealers wanted to maximize profit on the high demand, but also needed to follow unclear mint rules on distribution. So they were slowly distributed throughout the year in various ways.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of the threads I've started, the longest was the 2017 EU set which had 88,491 views, 3,198 posts and lasted from July 2, 2017 to July 22, 2018.

• meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

2009 Formative Years with all the errors.

edited November 21, 2019 4:20PM

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Of the threads I've started, the longest was the 2017 EU set which had 88,491 views, 3,198 posts and lasted from July 2, 2017 to July 22, 2018.

Is that a record?

The photo Friday thread is a very long one and at least it is interesting.

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 21, 2019 4:24PM

John Nanney's 2008 rev of 2007 thread.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2, no I was joking and meant finding die varieties with the 2019-S Enhanced blah, blah. Maybe an "accidental" clash with a Jeff. Lol.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

All I know is I am never going to bother trying to get the 2019 enhanced silver eagle. This whole thing seems like a big disgrace to collecting rarities. This coin isn't actually a rarity as it was purposely produced as a low mintage item to get people to spend more money on it.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you remember where you where when the gold JFK came out?

That was a biggie.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Is that a record?

I have no idea. I believe it is for a single product. (And my threads are easy to find for me. :D)

The photo Friday thread is a very long one and at least it is interesting.

Did you forget the title of your own thread?

What's the longest a discussion about a new mint release has lasted on CU?

The photo thread isn't a new mint release, afaik... Heh...

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@morgansforever said:
    John Nanney's 2008 rev of 2007 thread.

That lasted forever, but it wasn't a new mint release. I think a new thread today about the gold Kennedy stunts would still have legs for a while, whereas threads about the release of most other issues wouldn't get much attention at all 5 years later.

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

We may be in the middle of it now.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

There are so many threads about the ERP that I guess one will survive and be the go to place. Until that happens posts will be all over the place

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file