Home U.S. Coin Forum

Remembering Coin Shows from the early 70s.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

STUMBLING through fields of diamonds.
And not bothering to pick up EVERYTHING ! :D

Comments

• mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold $20: $50 each, pick from pile.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Late 1960s. George Bennett auctions at the Masonic Hall in Van Nuys, CA. Bad lighting. Anything and everything available. From whizzed and cleaned you name it to Unc. early 19th Century type. The guy auctioned coins as quickly as a North Carolina tobacco auctioneer. You look at him, belch or fart, it was often taken as a bid.

Occasionally I could pick up material cheap at the end of the auction when hardly anyone was there:
    1) An Unc silver set of Roosevelt Dimes for $15
    2) G-F IHC rolls for $8-$10.
    3) Gem late date Mercs for $1 or less

My best buy was a roll of RD 56 D Unc. Lincoln cents for $2. Years later, most of them graded MS 66.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got an AU 1915-S half eagle for $35.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember when I was a kid, my Uncle took me to a local show in the early 70s. I recall seeing the $20 Libs for $50 (like @mustangmanbob mentioned) and thinking that was a lot of money. My Uncle bought me a VG 1880-S Morgan for $1.25 as a gift since I had just celebrated my first communion. I still have that Morgan in a 2x2 somewhere.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

:) Still I don’t remember anything.......I’m a teen

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• RichRRichR Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

And all Morgan CC GSA’s ripe for the picking at $50-$100 each!!!!! Fortunately, as a teenager, I did actually buy a few...and still own every one of them!

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2019 5:56PM

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good stuff... cheap compared to now...but I earned less then as well...Cheers, RickO

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

One word - smoky. Might explain where a lot of brown toning came from though.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

We had smaller local shows almost every Sunday. They were at a different VFW depending on which Sunday of the month. Some had auctions at them also.
    They were great to attend or set-up at. A lot of fun....A couple of them had open bars. A little easier to close a deal over a few beers.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file