Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thinking of submitting question

shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have about 200 coins that likely should be slabbed. They were all collected in pre-slab days, about 50 bust halves, the rest copper. How would you handle this? Bundle them all up and send them off?...ouch! Send to a trusted dealer to pre-screen and get a discount on submissions? Send them in in increments of x? Something else?

Most value likely under $200, some maybe $500'ish, a few maybe $1,000'ish.

Thanks.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    I have about 200 coins that likely should be slabbed. They were all collected in pre-slab days, about 50 bust halves, the rest copper. How would you handle this? Bundle them all up and send them off?...ouch! Send to a trusted dealer to pre-screen and get a discount on submissions? Send them in in increments of x? Something else?

Most value likely under $200, some maybe $500'ish, a few maybe $1,000'ish.

Thanks.

That is a very complex question. Here's some answers:

1. Having a trusted dealer screen them for suitability would be advisable. Not so much for the discount but for the opinion. Something that won't straight grade may not be worth submitting, for example.
    2. Why do you think they should be slabbed? A lot of $200 coins are simply not worth slabbing UNLESS they are frequently counterfeited or the slab will add more value upon resale. If it costs you $35 to slab a $200 coin, it better add more than $35 in value or you are simply wasting money.
    3. Are you planning on selling? Are you planning on selling through a venue that needs the slab? Don't be afraid to do the math. If you are selling, let the venue submit, it should be cheaper.
    4. If you are slabbing just because you want them in slabs, then you can submit them as many as you want whenever you want.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post THE ONES YOU THINK ARE THE BEST,see what comments you get.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

The more people you can show your coins before submitting, the better feel you'll have for what should be graded. If you can get them to a big show, you'll have access to a lot of opinions to help guide your decision. At the end of the day, if you're not comfortable with determining which coins will benefit from being graded, then find a dealer who is that can screen and submit them for you. Post a small, random sample, as well as some of the high end coins and you'll get lots of advice.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start at the top of> @grip said:

Post THE ONES YOU THINK ARE THE BEST,see what comments you get.

I totally agree. I also agree with @messydesk. He broke it down for you the way I’d go about this problem if I didn’t know how to grade on my feet.
    Show us the most expensive ones first, like the &1000.00 coins first then work your way down. Many times the coins eye appeal can make a coin jump in value but not so much the grade.
    I wish you the best luck😉

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

My comments are similar to the first poster to your inquiry.

If you know / trust someone who knows more than you do about these coins, see if he / she would pre-screen them for you.
    Otherwise, if you can get to a major show, some dealers specialize in specific series of coins, and if they're not busy, many will look them over for you. At Long Beach, for example., some dealers have a full case of Capped Bust Halves, ranging from VF to low end Unc. Someone like this would be ideal to look at your Capped Bust Halves.

I agree that the only reason you would want many sub $200 coins slabbed is to establish authenticity for coins which are often counterfeited. A heavily circulated Trade Dollar is a good example of this.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow that would be quite the grading bill, I would for sure find someone to look thru the coins and help to weed out any that might not grade. From there I would want to decide what the end goal is, keep, sell, registry, etc. and further reduce the coins to send in for grading (or not) biased on the end goal. Good luck with whatever you decide and post up some pics.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not invest in slabbing coins of little value... self slab them with your own label. Show the high value coins and you will get plenty of help here....make your decisions accordingly. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

pick out the best coins. sell the rest raw to pay for encapsulating those.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send them all at once in 4 separate insured packages. BOOM!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join the PCGS Gold Collector Club, and send them in for FREE GRADING. 4 coins/year for 50 years... :)

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B that would be a very optimistic plan, since I just turned 60 and have been the oldest living male in my family since I turned 45. Lol. :#

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Id vote to send in the ones that are solid coins over $200 and the ones that if graded correctly, at the right grade, give you the most value. Yes, it will be expensive. Maybe you could send in a few at a time to soften the blow! Economy tier would be the cheapest route but be patient!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    Join the PCGS Gold Collector Club, and send them in for FREE GRADING. 4 coins/year for 50 years... :)

Dave

Wow! When did the PCGS Gold Collector Club become free to join?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file