Home U.S. Coin Forum

If all the surviving 1909-S VDB cents were placed back into circulation. . .

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

How easy or difficult would it be to locate one randomly in your change?

Comments

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extremely difficult. No one uses cash, much less US coinage here.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 10:53AM

I'm sure it would depend on lot of factors. How many of the less than 1/2mil that were originally minted are still out there? Would they all be dumped into circulation on the same day and/or at different locations? etc... No matter, if you didn't get one on the first day or two of circulation they would be gone. It's super easy to spot any wheat cent these days.

I can guarantee you that there are 7 that will never be back in circulation "in my lifetime". :)

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do coin shows still do 'coin drops' anymore?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do you put two cents in when it's only a penny for your thoughts?

• tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your would have three times more pieces circulating than the original mintage indicates.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aotearoa said:

Where is here?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Are businesses required by statute or law and are mandated to accept the 1909-S VDB in commerce? Can a business owner reject this coin at his or her own discretion?

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@Aotearoa said:

Where is here?

New Zealand. Cash has nearly disappeared - other than the plumber seeking cash as part of an under-the-table deal...

Smitten with DBLCs.

Anyone here know of someone who found a 90-S VDB in change? Maybe a parent or a grandparent?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would disappear into collections almost immediately...there are a couple million change searchers out there...Cheers, RickO

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be very difficult to almost impossible to find one... but one could get very lucky.

If all were dropped into circulation would they be worth more, as each was discovered- then they are now?

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2019 11:34PM

@abcde12345 said:
    Anyone here know of someone who found a 90-S VDB in change? Maybe a parent or a grandparent?

Not a 90-S VDB but one of my boys got a 1909-S VDB in change when he was 12-13 years old. He noticed it was different. A wheat cent. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, it was fake. But...It is in the Dansco and I like it. The only penny I had to buy for that set was the 14-D. Started that set when I was a little kid. That fake 1909 suits me just fine. All things considered, better than the real deal!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

IT's a simple math problem. 150,000 coins or so mixed in with 50 to 100 billion cents. So, on any transaction involving cents, you have roughly a 1 in 1 million chance. If you are old-school cash oriented and do 10 transactions per week involving a total of 20 cents, then you would expect to encounter 1 SVDB every 50,000 weeks.

@abcde12345 said:
    Are businesses required by statute or law and are mandated to accept the 1909-S VDB in commerce? Can a business owner reject this coin at his or her own discretion?

A private business owner can reject any coin or currency they choose.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

Yes, when I was in junior high school, about 1964, one guy found one in a girl's change purse during lunch.

He told her about it, and I don't know what the result was-- if they sold it or what.

Frank

BHNC #203

@hvellente said:

@jmlanzaf said:

A private business owner can reject any coin or currency they choose.

Except in Massachusetts... (cf above).

Even there they must have some rights. For example, stores often won't take hundreds. Do they have to in MA?

@jmlanzaf said:
    IT's a simple math problem. 150,000 coins or so mixed in with 50 to 100 billion cents. So, on any transaction involving cents, you have roughly a 1 in 1 million chance. If you are old-school cash oriented and do 10 transactions per week involving a total of 20 cents, then you would expect to encounter 1 SVDB every 50,000 weeks.

The maths I was looking for.
    this guy maths!

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Are businesses required by statute or law and are mandated to accept the 1909-S VDB in commerce?

No.

Can a business owner reject this coin at his or her own discretion?

Yes.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 3:15PM

If all 1909 SVDB's ever made were mixed in randomly with all wheat cents ever made, one would be looking at odds of about 1 in 53,000 of finding just one. Of course, the odds get much, much worse when one considers adding to the mix all Lincoln cents made from 1959 to the present. Really, too hopeless to contemplate.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 3:49PM

You might be surprised just how "easy" they'd be to find... ...at first. Each week a few would be found but finds would taper off to nothing in less than a couple years. Most of them would never be found unless collectors check the circulating pennies before they get scrapped. This is probably very unlikely because the odds of a coffee can full of pennies having a valuable memorial, shield, or '09-S vdb in it will be very low. They'll mostly just be shoveled into the furnaces or tossed in the trash.

I don't need to say it but hold onto you '09 cents!

Tempus fugit.
    edited November 18, 2019 6:44PM

@hvellente said:
    @cameonut2011

Please see my earlier post (immediately preceding yours).

The Coinage Act of 1965 makes all of the coinage of the United States legal tender. There is no federal law that requires a vendor to accept the coins however. If you owe someone a debt and the individual or entity refuses payment then you may have an affirmative defense to a contract suit. The concepts are distinct. Also you cannot walk out with merchandise if a vendor refuses to accept your money. He or she legally can refuse to do business with you for any reason so as long as it isn't for an unlawful purpose (think state and federal civil rights laws here - you can't refuse for race for instance).

Edited: There may be state statutes in play, but I want to see case law interpreting the Massachusetts state statute cited. Its purpose is to prevent the total prohibition of cash payments in favor of credit and debit cards. While a retail establishment (which is not defined) may not bar currency payments all together it is not completely clear that it prohibits reasonable limitations such as refusing $100 bills or $1,000 face value in cents. I think it is erroneous to ignore the rest of the statute which provides context.

MGL c. 255D sec. 10A - Discrimination against cash buyers.

No retail establishment offering goods and services for sale shall discriminate against a cash buyer by requiring the use of credit by a buyer in order to purchase such goods and services. All such retail establishments must accept legal tender when offered as payment by the buyer.

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the 50-100 billion cents really "in circulation" if they are mostly sitting in jars and containers in millions of peoples' closets? The number in banks and cash registers now may be more in the 2-5 billion range since most extant cents are not actively in circulation.

See, your odds just got a little better. Now everyone put your 09SVDBs back into circulation.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think the slab would be a dead give away. I doubt it would fit in the cent section of a cash register.

@sellitstore said:
    Are the 50-100 billion cents really "in circulation" if they are mostly sitting in jars and containers in millions of peoples' closets? The number in banks and cash registers now may be more in the 2-5 billion range since most extant cents are not actively in circulation.

See, your odds just got a little better. Now everyone put your 09SVDBs back into circulation.

Except the same fraction of S-VDBs would be sitting in the same jars and containers, so your odds stay the same.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hvellente said:
    The underlying intent of the law is to prevent discrimination against poor and minority consumers who are more likely to pay by cash and coin.

It would be easier to believe this is the intent if the government didn't exempt themselves from the need to comply with the regulation.

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can I film the episode when you try to walk out with the Coke because they would not accept your $100 bill? :#

@hvellente said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Even there they must have some rights. For example, stores often won't take hundreds. Do they have to in MA?

Yes, all merchants must accept any note or coin issued by the US government. The law is exhaustive (it makes no exception for quantity or denomination).

The law also creates an implied agreement by the merchant to accept all US notes and coins. For example, if I want to purchase a can of Coke with a hundred-dollar note, the merchant must accept the note. If the merchant refuses the note, I can walk out of the store with the Coke because I fulfilled my duty to pay but my payment was wrongfully refused.

In practice, some stores do, in fact, have signs and policies refusing larger denominations. Those signs and policies are unlawful and would not survive a criminal case (ie: a store tries to prosecute a customer for shoplifting).

PS: The law applies to all merchants, which excludes government agencies. So a town or county or state office can refuse cash or coin, but not a store, restaurant etc.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cents have a limited legal tender status. I think that are limited to 50 cents. Beyond that the business is not required to accept them in payment for a debt. The old fable about dumping a truck load of vents on someone’s front yard to settle a disputed debt is an urban legend. It would not satisfy the debt and could result in legal action.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited November 19, 2019 1:15AM

@hvellente said:
    I'm sure that you meant no harm, but I must insist that did not, in any way, "ignore the rest of the statute which provides context". If you'd like me to cite case law on the subject please call my office.

@hvellente said:
    Yes, all merchants must accept any note or coin issued by the US government. The law is exhaustive (it makes no exception for quantity or denomination).

The law also creates an implied agreement by the merchant to accept all US notes and coins. For example, if I want to purchase a can of Coke with a hundred-dollar note, the merchant must accept the note. If the merchant refuses the note, I can walk out of the store with the Coke because I fulfilled my duty to pay but my payment was wrongfully refused.

In practice, some stores do, in fact, have signs and policies refusing larger denominations. Those signs and policies are unlawful and would not survive a criminal case (ie: a store tries to prosecute a customer for shoplifting).

@hvellente said:
    In Massachusetts, all retail establishments are required to accept "legal tender" (MGL c. 255D sec. 10A), and Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, defines "legal tender" as all "United States coins and currency..." So here, the retail establishment would be required to accept the coin or the consumer's debt is discharged (considered paid in full).

I'd actually really love to see case law supporting the contention that you can place merchandise in your cart, hand the cashier hundreds or thousands of cents as payment, and walk away without paying when the cashier refuses. The statute makes no reference to dollar values or series/design. What if someone refuses obsolete currency of low value or no face value premium (e.g. hundreds from the 1960s, 1980s, and 1990s in worn condition), which is still legal tender, for fear that it is counterfeit or for fear that the banks might not accept it? Would that individual be free to walk away with large sums of merchandise? Does a car dealership count as a "retail establishment"? What about an Apple store? Could you buy a new Lexis or Audi SUV in cents or nickels over the objection of the car dealership who would spend large sums of money transporting the money to the bank and counting it? Do you think your client could beat a grand larceny charge if he drives off with it and then sue to compel transfer of title? What about a couple of grand in cents for a new Macbook Pro? What about paying for your $300 dinner at a luxury restaurant in change? Could you gas up a fleet of vehicles for your business and compel a gas station attendant to accept thousands of cents in payment? To keep this coin related, could someone abscond with a five figure coin from a dealership when the dealer tells him to pound sand when he tries to pay in zinc Lincoln cents? Could he beat a theft charge and then sue the poor coin dealer for "discrimination?" (Many collectors love to hate on dealers sadly.)

The purpose of the statute is to prevent people who don't have bank accounts (and thus debit cards) or credit cards from being excluded from the economy per you. I buy that and it is a lofty goal; however, your interpretation does nothing to further the obvious intent. Forcing someone to take hundreds or thousands of dollars of coins to a bank to exchange them for higher value currency excludes no one from the economy nor does it satisfy the obvious objective of the statute. You may very well be correct in your interpretation and Massachusetts appellate courts might very well adopt your reading (I have my doubts); however, that seems so far out in left field to the point of likely being ruled a scrivener's error or reinterpreted under the absurdity doctrine. If I am wrong and you can find cases to support the questions in this thread, I would not be surprised to see those cases overruled at some point.

Any way this was a fun exercise in statutory interpretation. :)

@hvellente said:
    As stated above, the law is perfectly clear, absolute, and exhaustive, which means that there are no exceptions implied or otherwise. The legislature had an opportunity to create exceptions or limitations, but did not. Also, as a matter of common law, the statute does not have to define or explicate every word or phrase. For example, "retail establishment" is defined elsewhere in state law and is understood by the courts.

Can a consumer, in Massachusetts, "walk out with merchandise if a vendor refuses to accept your money"? Absolutely. In Massachusetts, every merchant impliedly agrees that a consumer might pay with cash or coin. If the merchant refuses the payment, then the consumer's obligation to pay is satisfied by his or her intent and attempt to pay by cash or coin. In fact, under GL 93A, the consumer can sue the merchant for refusing to accept legal tender...!

I'm sure that you meant no harm, but I must insist that did not, in any way, "ignore the rest of the statute which provides context". If you'd like me to cite case law on the subject please call my office. I charge $425 an hour, but I can not specifically advise you any further without creating an attorney-client relationship. ;)

@hvellente said:
    In Massachusetts, all retail establishments are required to accept "legal tender" (MGL c. 255D sec. 10A), and Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, defines "legal tender" as all "United States coins and currency..." So here, the retail establishment would be required to accept the coin or the consumer's debt is discharged (considered paid in full).

Another statute defines retail establishment as "any premises in which the business of selling services or tangible personal property is conducted, or, in or from which any retail sales are made." I agree that appellate courts will look to how it is used in other statutes in defining "retail establishment" for this statute. As I read this broad definition, it includes attorneys who sell their services. When you feel overcharged by your lawyer, can you leave several thousand mint bags of circulated cents in his lobby if you aren't happy with the outcome of your case? >:) Is your debt discharged when the lawyer tells the client no?

https://malegislature.gov/laws/generallaws/parti/titleix/chapter64h/section1

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2019 9:49PM

@BillJones said:
    Cents have a limited legal tender status. I think that are limited to 50 cents.

I believe the Coinage Act of 1965 removed limits on the number of coins considered to be legal tender.

edited to add...

Title 1, Sec. 102:

All coins and currencies of the United States (including
    Federal Reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal Reserve banks
    and national banking associations), regardless of when coined or
    issued, shall be legal tender for all debts, public and private, public
    charges, taxes, duties, and dues.

https://fraser.stlouisfed.org/files/docs/historical/congressional/coinage-act-1965.pdf

edited November 18, 2019 10:00PM

@amwldcoin said:
    Can I film the episode when you try to walk out with the Coke because they would not accept your $100 bill? :#

(Obvious hyperbole for a coke, but it is fun to dream.)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have more than a few signs that informed customers that the restaurant (usually) would not accept $50 or $100 bills.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hoard the keys! Hoard the Keys!

All glory is fleeting.

@291fifth said:

It sounds like you're saying, "Florida Keys! Florida Keys?"

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:

@291fifth said:

It sounds like you're saying, "Florida Keys! Florida Keys?"

Not a good place to store the hoard ... they may corrode.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file