Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Special NEWP *not a coin* 15 cents

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah I know, it’s currency and there’s a currency board, but these are very much related to the coin shortages right after the civil war and I’d bet a lot of the regulars on here would appreciate seeing this.

I’m almost exclusively into coins, and everyone I know is here, so I thought this would be an acceptable thread.

Anyway, I just got this little beauty yesterday.
4th issue fractional currency 15 cent note:

Comments

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!!!

Currency of yesteryear had much more artistry and fore thought to the design than today's notes. IMHO

Congrats on your pickup.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

It is a "paper coin" I suppose, so not OT.

If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful note <3 I am wondering if they carried different size men's wallets then?

• Options

@Paradisefound indeed they were all slightly different in size and shape. But pretty little notes they are!

I have the 5th issue 10c coming in the mail. I’ll post it to this same thread when it arrives. Hopefully Saturday or Monday...

• Options

Thanks everybody for the compliments. :)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice...and interesting. I had seen one of those at a coin show in Seattle years ago....Was tempted, but the coins won.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland ...... I am thinking about getting a sheet of un-cut notes to wrap my Mom's birthday gift but see the premium is quite high. Are those novelty sheets are to be kept in a pristine condition (no creases etc)?

• Options

@Paradisefound said:
    @asheland ...... I am thinking about getting a sheet of un-cut notes to wrap my Mom's birthday gift but see the premium is quite high. Are those novelty sheets are to be kept in a pristine condition (no creases etc)?

Yeah, pristine condition is definitely recommended, but I’ve heard of them being used for wrapping gifts...

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

It certainly is a nice pick up, congratulations. Crisp and colorful

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the artwork on those early fractionals!

• Options
    ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

Both notes are spectacular asheland! Nice pick ups

I also collect old currency and have a couple of Fractional Currency Notes - Those are very nice that you have

• Options

Thanks! This is becoming an addiction quickly. lol I just pulled the trigger on the Stanton 50 cent note this morning. :D

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like both of them alot. That engraving is very appealing. Thanks for sharing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

I got a little carried away with this one. It just arrived yesterday.

A different Friedberg number, blue paper and a lot of fibers. I went all out on this one. Pop 15 with 4 higher.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always loved fractionals. One of the many sets I thought I would put together someday. Seems like life and time get in the way.....

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, and a very interesting series!
    I have a small group put away somewhere that I should look at. A few had come via an estate buyout,
    which is when I became familiar with them, but the better ones came from a small dealer that used to set up at our local monthly show. He'd acquired them from an old collection, and was just putting them out when I walked up. I knew immediately that I had to have some of those!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such fine artistry on those notes. Very nice.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice notes! The fifteen-cent note is very interesting because of the denomination and the representation of Columbia. I don't think any 15¢ coins were ever proposed, but the denomination makes sense in the 1869-1875 context of 3¢ notes and coins in circulation - 5 times 3¢ equals 15¢. I wonder if 20 of these were ever exchanged for a $3 coin...

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

thats a nice note ashland, i like. the rest of it looks good all :) happy thanksgiving as well

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

a red seal as well. is that backed by silver?

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    thats a nice note ashland, i like. the rest of it looks good all :) happy thanksgiving as well

Thank you!

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    a red seal as well. is that backed by silver?

Not really sure, but I tend to doubt it.

• Options

I got a few more of these fractionals that I need to photograph.

• Options

After two years, I finally got around to making a video of this note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUL2x4iWdAo

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several "well circulated" fractional issues.
    They were a gift to me from a local dealer who I dealt with in the mid 70's.
    @ChangeInHistory that is some beautiful paper.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:

>
    But it doesn't do anything. You should flutter it or something.

100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@moursund said:

@asheland said:

>
    But it doesn't do anything. You should flutter it or something.

Make it into a paper airplane and fly it. Now that would be cool. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recall seeing large uncut sheets of these things many years ago. Should have bought them.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file