Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I have an authentic AU $10 Indian with unusual feathers on the wing. **Answered**

Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 6, 2019 3:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

One of the first places to look for wear on the $10 Indian is the shoulder of the eagle's wing. While examining this coin for authentication and grade. I noticed an unusual feather pattern. Could this be a "special" coin?

PLEASE NOTE: It takes too much effort to post these if the knowledgeable folks answer in the first reply. I know you know the answers. Let's give the newer members a chance to think these out.

Comments

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

spark erosion counterfeit?

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The neck looks suspiciously thin.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

The coin is authentic.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tooled.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Reengraved?

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

1908 No Motto, stippled eagle variety.

• Options

@WaterSport said:
    Tooled.

WS

@coinJP said:
    Reengraved?

Both tooling and reengraving involve moving metal on the surface. So neither of these. Possible pattern?

• Options

@thebeav said:

I thought it might be a "new" variety. Show us yours..

• Options
    ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Die scratches?

• Options

Since you said special coin, I was thinking proof with polished dies that had lint or some other material that was struck onto the coin

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@thebeav said:

I thought it might be a "new" variety. Show us yours..

I'm just being facetious....sorry......

• Options

@Electricity said:
    Die scratches?

Keep guessing. Do those feathers look like scratches?

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe some type of metal "stippling tool" was used to apply texture (like a tiny meat tenderizer) thus concealing wear?

• Options

Was this Coin Underwater?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damaged coin? Re engraved details?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

Possibly in a piece of jewelry?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Weird looking..... Seeing that on a potential purchase would cause me to move on.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never use 60 grit flips! :o

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rusted die...wild guess.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. PMD. Also reject for Thanksgiving dinner.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    John2000John2000 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Bad planchet. Looks like many Jeffersons.

I may not know what I'm doing most of the time, but I'm Damn good at it. 😇 😈

• Options

Answer will be posted late tonight.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe someone trying to "improve" the coin.

• Options

@Smudge said:
    Maybe someone trying to "improve" the coin.

Possible I guess, but why and how?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

$ and a tool of some kind.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmm... well, this one is a poser... My first thought was counterfeit, but you said the piece is authentic. Then I thought tooled, but you're right... I don't really see any metal being removed. I guess I'm down to struck through something that left a repetitive mark on the wing.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Looks like someone just say down with a penny nail or something and started poking it for fun.

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

Perhaps poked to hide graffiti or an obvious scratch of some sort. An attempt to improve the coin.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Delam on a bad planchet?

Have no clue otherwise.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    John2000John2000 Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

It does look a bit like the gold Buffalos with the "hand hammered" fields.
    Could be done with detailing tools for metal, jewelry, etc...

I may not know what I'm doing most of the time, but I'm Damn good at it. 😇 😈

• Options

I’m still thinking jewelry piece, that had a clamp pressed onto the reverse of the coin

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Would you post a pic of the whole reverse before giving the answer?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching and learning.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like someone stippled the wing with a sharp tool to hide or camouflage wear or other problems.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited November 6, 2019 12:39PM

@ffcoins said:

Coin sent back. This is the important part and the reason it looks different.

I find it very helpful if I describe what I'm looking at. Try to describe the feather design on the wing of this coin to a blind collector who cannot see them. The reason I posted this image is because they look different than those on the other $10 Indians around here.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must be guilty of MASSIVE underuse of my loupe. :/

• Options
    ffcoinsffcoins Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@ffcoins said:

Coin sent back. This is the important part and the reason it looks different.

I find it very helpful if I describe what I'm looking at. Try to describe the feather design on the wing of this coin to a blind collector who cannot see them. The reason I posted this image is because they look different than those on the other $10 Indians around here.

Fair enough. I’m just wondering what it would have looked like/how much it would have stood out from a little farther away. Up close it looks like the surface has been eaten away by something (not sure what would eat away gold though).

If the shoulder of the wing was originally worn smooth though, it’s possible someone roughed it up a little in the hopes it would look like the fine textured feathers on an MS or better struck eagle in the hopes of passing it off as a better specimen.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those from the edge of another coin?

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

[whistling silently]

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm... Sand or media blasted?
    Maybe the the coin was taped up except for the wings and shot with some abrasive course media to give that pockmark texture.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Partially grease-filled die or struck-through would be my guesses.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    One of the first places to look for wear on the $10 Indian is the shoulder of the eagle's wing.

FWIW that's the bird's wrist, not the shoulder. But everyone "gets" shoulder.

No guess on the waffle look except that it's PMD.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:

@Insider2 said:
    One of the first places to look for wear on the $10 Indian is the shoulder of the eagle's wing.

FWIW that's the bird's wrist, not the shoulder. But everyone "gets" shoulder.

No guess on the waffle look except that it's PMD.
    Lance.

Excellent point!

While the joint at the "shoulder" is attached to the body and the part showing is correctly called the "wrist" of a wing, it seems that when the wing is folded next to the body it resembles and is called a "shoulder" by most folks. Sadly, I think it's best if I continue to post incorrectly so others "get it." :)

PS It is informed posters such as yourself that make this place a great place to learn.

• Options

This is an altered coin. Someone has taken a "tool" of some kind and marked up the worn area of the wing turning an obvious AU into a beat up MS coin. Here is a similar yet better executed alteration on a Morgan dollar. Just another reason to purchase coins that are already graded.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

People have got to use their Tandy leather tools for more than just making wallets. It's called multi-tasking.

thefinn
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting - seems like it would turn a AU coin into Genuine rather than a beat up MS??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@Lakesammman said:
    Interesting - seems like it would turn a AU coin into Genuine rather than a beat up MS??

Right. A genuine AU with obvious wear to a genuine beat up MS coin with no wear.

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@Lakesammman said:

Right. A genuine AU with obvious wear to a genuine beat up MS coin with no wear.

Except who looks for wear there on this series? Not any graders or professionals I know.

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file