Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

W Idaho 2019 Quarter Quest Thread

The final coin of the PCGS 2019 Quarter Quest has officially been released and we can confirm we have (at least) one submission in-house that is entering into the authentication and grading process. We are excited to share the stories of this final quarter with you and look forward to following the discovery of these and the rest of the 2019-W ATB quarters!

Heather Boyd
PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

Comments

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sing with me now......

"And here we have Idaho...
    Winning her way to fame...
    Silver and gold in the sunlight blaze...
    and romance lies in her name...

Singing, we're singing of you...
    Ah, proudly too,
    All our lives through, we'll go
    Singing, singing of you,
    Singing of Idaho."

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019 6:21PM

I know you're from Idaho, Bryce. Don't rub it in. Most lovey state in the Union. Best, most friendly people. Most beautiful women on the planet. The men are the most manliest of men. The children are the most happy of happy. The mountains shine in the sunrise and sunset. DON'T RUB IT IN, BROTHER!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2019 9:47PM

Reference update, 2 Nov, from previous thread, Texas San Antonio Mission Ws: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1024756/w-san-antonio-2019-quarter-quest-thread#latest

River: Pending
    SAM: 3497 (-81)
    War: 6501 (+37)
    AM: 2885 (+65)
    Low: 9107 (+46)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have yet to find on in the wild.... I have one sent to me by a very generous forum member (a Lowell)...so at least my set of W coins is complete at this point...still waiting for the W nickel (hint, hint - to the mint)... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2019 2:05PM

@ricko said:
    ...still waiting for the W nickel (hint, hint - to the mint)... ;) Cheers, RickO

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/u-s-mint-has-circulating-coin-plans-on-schedule-for-2020-release
    _
    The U.S. Mint is considering a number of possible options for special circulating coinage for 2020.

Mint officials indicate a decision has not yet been made on which option or options will be initiated, the denominations that will be pursued, which Mint production facilities will strike the coins, nor how many or each issue will be distributed or how distribution will be executed.

Any 2020 programs will follow upon the 2019 programs for both circulating and numismatic coins._

Ricko-

There's still hope on the horizon.

• Options

Update on the W-River.

First Week of Discovery deadline: November 12th

Early Find deadline: December 20th

• Options

@HeatherBoyd said:
    The final coin of the PCGS 2019 Quarter Quest has officially been released and we can confirm we have (at least) one submission in-house that is entering into the authentication and grading process. We are excited to share the stories of this final quarter with you and look forward to following the discovery of these and the rest of the 2019-W ATB quarters!

I still don't understand why my coins I sent in on November the 2nd & 4th do not count for First Discovery or Accidentally Early Release... Can you please explain! Nobody will respond to my emails from PCGS! I even have picture of when my packages were sent and arrived. I don't care about the prize money. I'm very upset about the Iabels Im being told I will receive.. thanks Grady W

• Options

@Grady83 said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

I still don't understand why my coins I sent in on November the 2nd & 4th do not count for First Discovery or Accidentally Early Release... Can you please explain! Nobody will respond to my emails from PCGS! I even have picture of when my packages were sent and arrived. I don't care about the prize money. I'm very upset about the Iabels Im being told I will receive.. thanks Grady W

Did you put “FD19” on all sides of the package in black ink?

Seemingly many fail to do so and there is a section of the rules to point this out.

For the quickest response, call CS:

You can reach the PCGS customer service department Monday - Friday 7:00am - 5:00pm Pacific Time.

In the United States call toll free at 800-447-8848. Outside the United States call 949-833-0600.

—————

Mandatory Eligibility Information

“To be eligible for the any of the 2019-W pedigrees, submission packages must be clearly marked in black ink on all sides of the shipping package with the term, “FD19.” Boxes and packages without being clearly delineated with “FD19” will not be eligible for pedigree labels, no exceptions.“

Scroll down: https://www.pcgs.com/2019quarterquest?utm_source=PCGS&utm_medium=spotlight&utm_campaign=2019 Quarter Quest&utm_content=quarter_quest_2019

• Options

@Grady83 said:

@HeatherBoyd said:

Hi @Grady83, I have sent you a PM

Heather Boyd
    PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

• Options
    edited November 8, 2019 8:55PM

First update with the Rivers.

Seemingly a slow start, but more than likely, the numbers have not been completely entered for the Rivers. Highest graded is MS66 and lowest is MS63.

SAMs still have strong submission numbers.

River: 24 (Start)
    SAM: 3909 (+412)
    War: 6586 (+85)
    AM: 3050 (+165)
    Low: 9176 (+69)

Total mintage is 10 million (2 million per quarter.)

Total (as of the above numbers) of 22,745 West Point quarters have been graded, certified, and encapsulated (or 0.0022 or 2/10ths of 1% of the total mintage.)

• Options

I've been tracking eBay listings for the River W quarter. A PCGS first release is being sold out of Baltimore, Md. During the opening days, the first listings are from sellers in Utah (lots of sellers there, interestingly), Louisiana, and Arkansas. A few days later, sellers from Kentucky, NY, and California (rolls which may or may not have W's) popped up. Interestingly, there were also two sellers from Idaho Falls, ID. (A Coin World article from yesterday said that a bank in Salmon, ID bought $14,000 in "2019-D" quarters from the Fed in conjunction with the official release, I wonder if those were salted with W's. I guess Utah isn't that far away, either). Based on a YouTube video I saw, someone in Colorado may have also found some.

I know that pairing eBay listing sites and release points/cities isn't an exact science, but I think it gives us a decent idea of where they are showing up. Utah seems to be a hot spot for all the W's!

In short, they're out there, and one thing is for sure- the list of places will grow. Good luck, everyone!

• Options

Update from the last post.

A bit slow for the week; guessing many of the Idaho Rivers are pending or being graded.

Highest graded River is 66+.

River: 55 (+31)
    SAM: 3957 (+48)
    War: 6599 (+13)
    AM: 3069 (+19)
    Low: 9181 (+5)

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Highest graded River now is a lonely MS67

• Options

Seems many of the River’s have had a rough time at West Point. A different shift appears to have made these compared with some other Ws.

IMO

• Options
    edited November 26, 2019 3:24PM

Update.

Initial surge for First Week River’s. The highest graded is currently MS67 (total of nine.)

River: 618 (+563)
    SAM: 4053 (+96)
    War: 6608 (+9)
    AM: 3074 (+5)
    Low: 9184 (+3)

Edit to add link: https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/category/1715?l=washington-america-beautiful-quarters-2010-2021&ccid=0&p=MS&sn=718008&pn=2&ps=100

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

I found very few escaping the clutches of the big boys here in Albuquerque. I did manage to get a couple of boxes of mixed old quarters an River coins. When I did find full boxes of Rivers there were not many W's in them. Someone at the place that distributes them got the bulk of the. I ended up with less than 200 W's. I have now stopped getting boxes as they mostly contain 2018 or old coins now. I did real well on the Lowells but not much after as the boxes with W's in them disappeared. before they were released.

• Options
    mgkmgk Posts: 34 ✭✭

It looks like the Mariana Islands has the lowest overall graded populations to date !
    https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/grading-services-certify-thousands-of-2019-w-quarter-dollars

• Options

An update.

As usual these numbers reflect the changes since my last post.

Short week and the numbers reflect it.

River’s still maintain the lead in numbers graded for the week. First week labeling ended on Nov 12. Early find will end on Dec 20.

River: 753 (+135)
    SAM: 4053 (+0, no change)
    War: 6624 (+16)
    AM: 3074 (+0, no change)
    Low: 9186 (+2)

• Options

@mgk said:
    It looks like the Mariana Islands has the lowest overall graded populations to date !
    https://coinworld.com/news/us-coins/grading-services-certify-thousands-of-2019-w-quarter-dollars

Agree. I’ve mentioned that quite a bit on prior posts. It’ll have an impact on those trying yo collect the 5-coin series since it will be the denominator for the 5-coin sets. Possible a premium for First Week and Early Find AM slabs will develop as these sets are being made and sought after.

• Options

Update.

Very big jump in Rivers; and 11 more MS67s graded for a total of 20. Nothing higher, so far. Overall numbers still fairly low. Might become the new denominator for the 5-coin sets. Deadline for EF River’s is 20 Dec.

River: 1668 (+915)
    SAM: 4161 (+108)
    War: 6624 (+24)
    AM: 3074 (+7)
    Low: 9186 (+14)

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have finally seen some river of no return but they were Philadelphia. I am still missing the San Antonio’s and RIver of no return. In W totals I have 2 lowells, 2 AMP, and 1 War in the Pacific.

• Options

Another update.

Last week was the big jump for Rivers and they still are the weekly leader. But, still a lag for total numbers. The end of River EFs is around the corner, 20 Dec. Overall Rivers are l still trailing AMs the initial slabbed low counter since its release. Looking more likely that Rivers will be the slabbed set denominator.

River: 1835 (+167)
    SAM: 4162 (+1)
    War: 6652 (+28)
    AM: 3085 (+11)
    Low: 9203 (+17)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have found over 1500 Ws searching boxes but have yet to see a River of no return in my area. Very few San Antonios as well.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

I have found every one in varying amounts and have sold them all as I got them. It has been a lot of work as these boxes are heavy and I bet the credit unions are glad to see the end of this run as the counting machines have taken a beating from them.

• Options
    edited December 28, 2019 4:53PM

An update.

All First Week and Early Find labels are over, last day was 20 Dec for the River.

West point labels are available until 31 Dec unless it get extended.

River’s are the denominator for any slabbed 5-coin sets, i.e., the maximum 5-coin sets, as of this post, is 1983.

Added MS## which designates the highest graded West Point, as of this post.

River: 1983 (+148) MS67
    SAM: 4199 (+37) MS68
    War: 6660 (+8) MS68
    AM: 3104 (+19) MS67+
    Low: 9215 (+12) MS67

Total slabbed: 25,161

Total mintage: 10,000,000

Total % slabbed: 0.002516 or less than 3/10ths of 1%.

Enjoy your Ws!

Merry Christmas!

• Options
    mgkmgk Posts: 34 ✭✭

How long do you think until there are no more full boxs of 2019 quarters in banks ?

• Options

@mgk said:
    How long do you think until there are no more full boxs of 2019 quarters in banks ?

I got a box of all shiny new 2017's just the other day.

• Options

@derryb said:

@mgk said:

I got a box of all shiny new 2017's just the other day.

As @derryb is referencing they’ll be popping up for years.

• Options

Update.

River: 2190 (+207) MS67
    SAM: 4251 (+252) MS68
    War: 6732 (+72) MS68
    AM: 3158 (+54) MS67+
    Low: 9273 (+58) MS67

• Options

Highest graded River is MS67+ from MS67.

River: 2331 (+141) MS67+
    SAM: 4331 (+80) MS68
    War: 6759 (+27) MS68
    AM: 3182 (+24) MS67+
    Low: 9296 (+23) MS67

• Options
    Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Has it been confirmed wether or not they will continue the West Point quarters in 2020??? I have not been able to find a definitive answer.

Got my W River for Christmas. Buddy at the coin shop grabbed me one. These have been a blast.

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

• Options

The W quarters were/are marketed as a “numismatic rarity.” It is supposed to be only a one-year 5-quarter circulating issue for 2019, i.e., cannot be bought from the Mint and only found through circulation through the Federal Reserve system.

This is how it started back around April 2019.

What actually happens in the future is anyones guess.

• Options

no announced plans to continue. Was US Mint's part in the Great American Coin Hunt in 2019.

• Options
    Td337Td337 Posts: 74 ✭✭✭

Thank you guys for confirming that it was simply a one year deal and there are no current plans to carry the program beyond 2019!

Will keep eyes and ears open!

Successful transactions with: Outhaul, Saen78, Pocketpiececommems, mapleman, CelinaCoin, tommyrusty7, braddick, greencopper, CommemDude

• Options
    edited January 11, 2020 11:15AM

@Td337 said:
    Thank you guys for confirming that it was simply a one year deal and there are no current plans to carry the program beyond 2019!

Will keep eyes and ears open!

There are already a couple threads on this but the W nickel will be released in 2020 with the Unc, PR, and Ag PR sets.

• Options

Weekly update. River submittals still going strong.

River: 2602 (+271) MS67+
    SAM: 4345 (+14) MS68
    War: 6775 (+16) MS68
    AM: 3197 (+15) MS67+
    Low: 9315 (+19) MS67

• Options
    Weather11amWeather11am Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical — Do you have those numbers broken down by first week, early find, and nothing?

• Options

@Weather11am said:
    @Hemispherical — Do you have those numbers broken down by first week, early find, and nothing?

I did awhile back, but it became to cumbersome, this link will have all the data, expand the W you want the information on to get the total, FW, EF, and base (no special label.) Additionally, SAM’s has the “accidental early release” label; and the River’s has the Damastra signature and “early circulation” labels.

https://www.pcgs.com/pop/detail/category/1715?l=washington-america-beautiful-quarters-2010-2021&ccid=0&p=MS&sn=718008&pn=2&ps=100

• Options
    edited January 18, 2020 6:28AM

No West Point MM quarters for 2020, but, how about West Point / Privy marked quarters.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1031504/privy-marks-on-2020-issued-atb-quarters-to-commemorate-the-end-of-wwii

• Options

Surprisingly, Lows surpassed Rivers submissions for this update. Possibly a 100+ bulk Low submission.

River: 2735 (+133) MS67+
    SAM: 4385 (+40) MS68
    War: 6787 (+12) MS68
    AM: 3221 (+24) MS67+
    Low: 9457 (+142) MS67

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Td337 said:
    Has it been confirmed wether or not they will continue the West Point quarters in 2020??? I have not been able to find a definitive answer.

@Hemispherical said:
    No West Point MM quarters for 2020, but, how about West Point / Privy marked quarters.

The search continues. The next W Quarter will be released into the wild February 3. Good luck. I'm still searching for last years...and when I find one it's pretty exciting around here. I have searched just over 20,000 quarters since the start and have found 3 W's, 5 proofs, and about 6 or 7 silver quarters. Not to mention a handful of foreign coins which usually look like silver finds at first!

• Options

• Options

River’s still chugging away with another triple digit coins submitted for the week. Someone is looking for top pop?

River: 2839 (+104) MS67+
    SAM: 4393 (+8) MS68
    War: 6803 (+16) MS68
    AM: 3232 (+11) MS67+
    Low: 9465 (+8) MS67

• Options

Still being graded/entombed in some quantity.

Preparation for 2020 ATB West Point quarters and 10-coin sets?

River: 2926 (+87) MS67+
    SAM: 4488 (+95) MS68
    War: 6880 (+77) MS68
    AM: 3260 (+28) MS67+
    Low: 9503 (+38) MS67

• Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    Still being graded/entombed in some quantity.

Preparation for 2020 ATB West Point quarters and 10-coin sets?

River: 2926 (+87) MS67+
    SAM: 4488 (+95) MS68
    War: 6880 (+77) MS68
    AM: 3260 (+28) MS67+
    Low: 9503 (+38) MS67

And more to be graded B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file