Options

"Lopsided Scores Policy" gets coach suspended

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

he probably had a $100 bet on the over.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

The rule should be applied only if your leading by 150.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

“lopsided score committee”

I'm not sure if this sounds more like a passage from the famous book 1984, or a Monty Python skit.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

first NFL implementation takes place in 2 days

Eagles go up 119-0 on the Bears in the 3rd quarter and Doug Pederson is relegated to distributing his cornucopia of controlled substances for 3 weeks

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I'm not sure if this sounds more like a passage from the famous book 1984, or a Monty Python skit.

Pretty much the same thing, just one used fear and the other humor to get their points across.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

But they still get their participation awards, right?

• Options

Golden State may want to look into this.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

Pretty much the same thing, just one used fear and the other humor to get their points across.

The book 1984 comes up often these days. I like to highlight the fact at least some people tried to fight. We all went so willingly, eagerly in some cases.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    first NFL implementation takes place in 2 days

Eagles go up 119-0 on the Bears in the 3rd quarter and Doug Pederson is relegated to distributing his cornucopia of controlled substances for 3 weeks

Eagles are now in trouble.

The infamous CU Sports Talk reverse jinx is effective approximately 99% of the time.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@stevek said:

The book 1984 comes up often these days. I like to highlight the fact at least some people tried to fight. We all went so willingly, eagerly in some cases.

One day when the robots take over it will be a lot worse. ;)

• Options

Quick fix would be one point for a TD and half a point for a field goal. Safeties should be eliminated as they are demoralizing.

No one would ever lose a game by more than ten points and the coach's job would be saved.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Quick fix would be one point for a TD and half a point for a field goal. Safeties should be eliminated as they are demoralizing.

No one would ever lose a game by more than ten points and the coach's job would be saved.

Or, if we're going to infantalize these players by protecting their widdow feewings about getting beaten by too much, why not just put in a mercy rule like actual little children have and stop the game when a team gets up by a certain amount? To tell a team that they need to keep playing, but stop trying, is just stupid, and probably more demoralizing to the losing team than just playing the damn game.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

Or, if we're going to infantalize these players by protecting their widdow feewings about getting beaten by too much, why not just put in a mercy rule like actual little children have and stop the game when a team gets up by a certain amount? To tell a team that they need to keep playing, but stop trying, is just stupid, and probably more demoralizing to the losing team than just playing the damn game.

About fifteen years ago Oklahoma and Baylor spent much of the second half (fourth quarter?) under running time.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

Maybe give the winners a $100,000 bar and the losers a zero bar.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a fan of coaches who run up the score just for the sake of doing it. First, of all, the second and third string players should get a chance to play when the conditions permit it. Those guys practice and devote their time to the team just like the first stringers. It's only fair to let them have a chance. It's also a good idea to give them some game experience now and then. It’s also good for team morale, which is quite important.

Second. such a policy can come back to bite you. As I have cited in the past, When Dallas Cowboys first because a top team, Tom Landry went around the league running up the scores on lesser teams. He did that in the home game against the lowly Philadelphia Eagles, who were bad as usual by a score of something like 49-0. The trouble was Landry's policy came back to bite him. In the Philadelphia home game, the Eagles won 14 to 10 in a lower scoring game. It was big upset to say the least, and Eagles might not have been "out for bear" if Landry had not embarrassed them the first time around.

Having said that, there are reasons to keep the hammer down if the game is not totally in hand. When I was undergraduate school, Villanova was a football big rival for my alma mater, The University of Delaware. It was also a close tough game. Delaware was a Division Two school, and the Wild Cats were a Division One school and just big enough to give the Delaware Blue Hens, a championship team in those years (late 1960s), a lot of completion.

Delaware got a three touchdown lead in the third quarter. The coach, the late Tubby Raymond, decided to bring in the second team. Villanova rallied and finally won the game by a few points. It was a huge disappointment for the Delaware fans to say the least.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

I am the opposite.

Run that score up.

There is no better motivation than getting your as$ whooped.

Not saying you have to sweep the leg, but the kids on the winning team are getting penalized. Plus you distort stats when crap like this happens.

The point is to score, not coddle.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

And if one of you key players gets hurt when you are out there running up the score? This has been one of the few things that always gotten to me about Tom Brady and Bill Belichick.

In high school and college second string kids should get a chance to play when it is appropriate.

Kicking the other team when it is down is not cool or a sign of good sportsmanship.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

No one said kicking them while they are down.

Kicking the ball back to them after you keep scoring? 100%.

And we aren't talking YMCA tee ball here.

Were talking high school football.

• Options

And what do you propose once the 2nd and 3rd string are put in and the result is the same?

Tell the back up and underclassmen who've worked their tails off to just quit?

Where does it stop?

Furthermore, what happens if a team actually comes back and wins after being down 31 points?

It's happened, ya know. Even in the NFL.