Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When buying a coin you like, CAC or not how do you approach a VF-35 graded coin?

Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,954 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you figure what you are willing to pay or not pay? Assume its a nice coin and you like it. Its not VF20 and its not XF40.. How do you arrive at a buy price?

Or do you pass and label it a "trap coin"

Comments

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have owned at least a few early dollars in vf 30 and 35.

Recent auction archives provide very good price guidance

• Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd approach it carefully but in no way dismissively. Instead of a trap coin, those can be great for the price and for relative rarity, on say Barber or early Walkers (just as an example) that are so tough to find in PQ mid-circ grades.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

Auction records are best source for price, but quality of coin makes a huge difference.

However, many dealers will try to buy it for vf-20 money, especially at a show

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that grade.
    Often very good detail and original surfaces at an affordable price.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will a buyer be willing to pay a premium over ordinary VF? The answer in most cases is likely to be "no". Think like a dealer and buy like a dealer ...

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find VF-35 coins in slabs to be very attractive. They just have the "look.". I'm not saying that they're under graded, But so many times they just look better that EF 40-45. To me at least. Just preittier! And.....I don't own any. Go figure.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Extrapolate.

thefinn
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Extrapolate.

If you're referring to me......I'm trying, but stumped for a response. I'll sleep on it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I like the coin, I will either pay the price or negotiate.....but likely buy it in the end. It is not the grade, it is the coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Will a buyer be willing to pay a premium over ordinary VF? The answer in most cases is likely to be "no". Think like a dealer and buy like a dealer ...

I'm guessing that buyer doesn't buy very many VF35 coins if any at all. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's a wholesome original coin...this dealer pays a handsome premium for VF35's over a VF20!

@291fifth said:

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

My interpretation: VF35 should be a choice VF coin for which one should expect to pay close to XF money. The differences between amounts of wear across the 4 VF grades is small. 35 should be not only close to 40 in terms of wear, but also a really nice coin. The only reason it misses 40 is wear. If its wholesomeness is compromised, it should be called 30. The coins shown above are clearly choice VF. An XF40 with minor issues that cause it to be "netted" to a lower grade should be called 30.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not. ( you mentioned CAC, or not).

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I view 35 coins as "I vacillate whether or not it has a shot at 40". There are a lot of super nice coins in this grade and will likely be what I aspire to when I put together an 18th C type set...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2019 10:28AM

Even VF30's are worth a close look. I would wager I have at least a dozen or more 35's that are solid XF's. While this example is extreme, this is why you have to look at the coin and not the holder.
    This:

Turned into this:

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thefinn said:
    Extrapolate.

Or, Interpolate 😉

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very quietly like you were hunting Wabbits!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 7:02AM

I would simply refer to CF and go from there in evaluating MV or premium above VF 20. VF 35 coins trade at a premium vs VF20 this can vary based on the issue. Regardless would price cost plus / accordingly.

These are nice circ coins which will sell. For me it’s the coin and it’s potential in the marketplace. Can be like a 4 star recruit with A plus potential.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I too approach them the same way I would for any grade.

Eye appeal and clean grade. My forum id picture is a VF-25 CAC and I love it.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@matt_dac said:
    I too approach them the same way I would for any grade.

Eye appeal and clean grade. My forum id picture is a VF-25 CAC and I love it.

Mine is a VF35 and I like it more than the higher graded coins I've seen for that date.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2019 5:44AM

I love VF-35 coins if the price is right. I was able to buy my 78-CC Trade $ for almost $2000 less that an XF-40. Since then the prices have went up a lot on the VF-35.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks 40 to me , T.Dave! :D

• Options

Probably bumped down a notch for the pot marks. Nice Original Look!

@kaz said:
    Looks 40 to me , T.Dave! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file