Home U.S. Coin Forum

Progress on my 7070. Only one to go...

OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 29, 2019 11:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

A few compromises along the way and a couple of upgrades pending, but getting close. Photos will enlarge.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks pretty good. I loved putting my set together over the course of a few years. I can't quite bring myself to spend much more on upgrades and I don't have the fire to start a second set so It's one and done for me!

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet!

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very nice set. I may have to try a set after seeing yours.
    The early pieces are well matched. You should be proud of this set.

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!
    When I saw the header, I figured you're either missing a seated dollar or the Classic Head large cent...always the toughest to fill.
    Your 1814 is very nice, and probably my favorite coin in your album. Although that two cent piece looks pretty nice too.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your 1814 Large Cent is quite nice for raw or slabbed :)

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice 7070 set... Congratulations on a great project.... Cheers, RickO

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done! Someday I might try this, but the journey may be too long for me to assemble a complete set to my satisfaction. Thanks for sharing this with us. Always enjoy seeing sets like yours.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful set, you should be proud to show it off.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite nice :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• mcarney1173mcarney1173 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice, consistent set you have there. All the seated types will make you go crazy completing that set. I am finishing up my 7070 right now (down to 9 holes left to fill including both seated dollar types). I have been using this set to help me discover which series I like the most- for me it’s large silver coins ie. halves/dollars. I was also lucky enough to track down an old “gold type” (page 6) for the 7070 so I will be slowly filling that with nice AU pieces as i come across them and the budget allows.

• DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

Very pleasing look to the set. Thanks for sharing!

• MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Very Nice! Once you get the Seated Dollar, do you have plans to pursue the gold page?

• Wahoo554Wahoo554 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic collection! Did you purchase everything raw, or were some of them crack outs?

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer a Type set to a series set. Very nice accumulation of coins!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set!
    Surprisingly heavy book when full, isn't it? Satisfyingly weighty!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was very pleasing to scroll through :) Thank you

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great congrats, I still have two or three holes to fill on mine as well.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Superb . . . and with some room to improve in a couple of areas, but oh, yes . . . the Classic Large Cent! That REALLY has a nice look, and as mentioned above, is the first coin in the 7070 that is examined!

Drunner

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks or the comments. Only the 1814 cent and the seated dollar were purchase slabbed. Full disclosure, dollar was VF cleaned and cent was a Fine with environmental damage. If you look close, you can see a slightly pebbled surface, but since some early large cents were struck on bad planchets, it was acceptable to me because of the color and detail were nice.. Gold page remains to be seen, but first, I'm looking for the page with moderns. Anybody have one?

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice collection! Been a while since I added a coin to my set!

• RWMRWM Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

Great set. Working on a similar set myself and I have to say it is the most enjoyment I have had in this hobby.

• ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set! I'm almost done with mine too, only lacking the silver 3 cent piece! I had one in there that was bent, but decided I'd rather get a better one.

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@savitale said:
    Nice set! I love albums.

Ditto!

Thanks for posting and the nice pictures

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your set is very nice and with the addition of just one more coin it will be complete........unless you want to include all of the gold varieties too. You might find the gold to be a very interesting for your next challenge.

OINK

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Type sets are tangible links to our entire history. You'll never get bored with that album.

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

Great set you have there. I'm working on one as well, down to 2 coins.

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 7:46AM

Agree, very nice looking set overall and thanks for sharing your progress.

I had started mine (generally XF or better) in the mid-1970s as a college student and had filled about 2/3s of the holes when i put it away as my interest changed in the early 80s. I looked at the set periodically but didn't finally pull it out a couple of years ago as a "fun project" between currency purchases. I added a few new pages to bring it more up to date, expand the commems, etc as well. Filled the last hole early this year (one of the hardest and last was finding a nice the turban head cent with "the look" without breaking the bank) along with a number of upgrades. Some of the coins were nicer than I'd remembered, but more than a few were not. Still very satisfying to work on and complete and the project introduced me to a new set of dealers and advanced my knowledge about US coinage dramatically.

As someone said before this is one of the best and a relatively accessible set to illustrate most of the history of US coinage irrespective of the grade one choose to pursue. Still looking for at least one upgrade; a nice bust 25 cent in the same condition as yours and am not totally satisfied with the barbers but am in no hurry since its such fun to work on.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

What fun!

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, and thanks for sharing! I've been working on mine off and on for years. There's always room for improvement. ... at least my set anyway! ;-)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 10:04AM

Awesome looking set! Congrats! How bad is your OCD with that one missing hole though? :D

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set! Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's real nice to see, I like

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file