Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

U.S. Mint to redesign gold and silver American Eagles

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this was already discussed, sorry..................

The U.S. Mint is planning to redesign the reverse of gold and silver American Eagle bullion coins in 2021 and incorporate anti-counterfeiting technology into the production cycle.

The U.S. Mint is moving ahead with plans to redesign the reverses of the silver and gold American Eagles for 2021 to accommodate the use of anti-counterfeiting technology at the production stage.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has given the Mint the green light to replace the designs, which have appeared on the coins since their release in 1986.

“We are planning a redesign of the American Eagle Silver and Gold coins in honor of the 35th anniversary of the American Eagle program. The details of this redesign will be announced in the near future. There is currently no plan to redesign the American Eagle platinum or palladium coins,” said Todd Martin, acting chief for the Mint’s Office of Corporate Communications.
The redesigned reverses will be introduced first on bullion releases dated 2021. The anti-counterfeiting measures will be introduced later on the Proof and other collector versions.

“Since the early days of the Republic, the Mint has been very sensitive to the threat of counterfeiting,” Martin said. “We have made progress in developing state-of-the-art anti-counterfeiting measures for bullion coins, and are prepared to implement changes that will enhance the security of the gold and silver bullion coin program.”

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/u-s-mint-to-redesign-gold-and-silver-american-eagles-implement-security-devices

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Although discussed briefly before, it is an interesting topic. I would be interested in understanding more about the anti-counterfeiting methods for coins. I have read a little (such as in the linked article), but would like to know more. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd expect something like the maples do now, or that uv/black light stuff with geiger.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster ....Probably, I would just like to understand the details better.... however, that would tell the counterfeiters all they need to know.... ;) So probably we will not know a lot more....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awaiting the proposed designs next year and it should prove to be very interesting.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long overdue imo, the reverse of both coins have been blah at best but knowing the US Mints track record on coin design I wouldn't expect anything too extravagant. They should look at hiring some Canadians or Aussies to get with the times.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the obverse of the SE, and also the reverse (I know I am in the minority there). I like the obverse of the GE but have never liked the reverse.

Based on past history, I am bracing myself for worse designs if/when they redesign the coins.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked to see the Eagle in flight. Would like to see this for the ASE reverse.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm taking a positive outlook. Wouldn't hurt to save the negative thoughts until the proposed designs are reveled. Those tricky folks at the Mint could present something interesting, modern and, hopefully, universally liked. Hey, it could happen.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the thread I started a couple of weeks ago...

Mint to Redesign Silver and Gold Eagles (ASE's and AGE's) in 2021...

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice if they redesigned both obverse and reverse on both
    the ASE and AGE. I'm getting tired of seeing these designs year in, year out.
    Change them out every 3 years. While the current designs are nice, they
    are not that special anymore. 30+ years is enough. Rant over.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    I'm taking a positive outlook. Wouldn't hurt to save the negative thoughts until the proposed designs are reveled. Those tricky folks at the Mint could present something interesting, modern and, hopefully, universally liked. Hey, it could happen.

Where the Mint is concerned, I've learned to set expectations such that one can be pleasantly surprised when they're exceeded.

• Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 6:25AM

I didn't realize there was a big problem with ASE being counterfeited... I could understand AGE due to value, but not ASE... Anyway, I'm not against a rev design change, at this point, as long as it's static and doesn't become another joke like the Washington quarter series.

Actually I like the ASE obv and rev as it is... The AGE could stand an update on both sides.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the ingredients that go into the Mint's "Bullion Soup" right now. I'm used to the taste.

I'm afraid that if the "Recipe" is changed, the result might not taste as good.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again; I just can't wait to see what a sensitive, caring, multicultural eagle looks like.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:
    Again; I just can't wait to see what a sensitive, caring, multicultural eagle looks like.

It might be an eagle that identifies as a dove. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file