Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Mint to Redesign Silver and Gold Eagles (ASE's and AGE's) in 2021...

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be in 2022, so they could send the current designs out with a bang for the 35th. Instead, it looks like they'll redesign for the 35th...

Coin World Reports:

U.S. Mint to redesign gold and silver American Eagles, implement security devices

The U.S. Mint is moving ahead with plans to redesign the reverses of the silver and gold American Eagles for 2021 to accommodate the use of anti-counterfeiting technology at the production stage.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has given the Mint the green light to replace the designs, which have appeared on the coins since their release in 1986.

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the reverse of the silver, I think that utilizing the eagle seen on the Walking Liberty half dollar would be an excellent choice. I would become an instant collector of these should that happen.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a good thing. Question: will the redesign be just to add the anti-counterfeiting technology OR also refreshed obverse and reverse designs?

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2019 10:26PM

@koynekwest said:
    For the reverse of the silver, I think that utilizing the eagle seen on the Walking Liberty half dollar would be an excellent choice. I would become an instant collector of these should that happen.

And then the official ASE could look just exactly like 5,000 different but similar private issue silver rounds that have been issued since 1970 with the same designs on both sides. Just exactly like them.

I don't think that's a good idea at all.

I for one will be pleased to see the reverse of the gold changed to something else. Have never ever liked that design.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    This is a good thing. Question: will the redesign be just to add the anti-counterfeiting technology OR also refreshed obverse and reverse designs?

I could see the obverses remaining the same. Like the Queen on RCM/RM/Perth bullion. (And above all else, Eagles' primary function is bullion and should be recognizable as such.)

I will bet the reverse gets a complete redesign (and the Eagle loses the arrows because this is a kinder, gentler world, donchaknow), but they'll have to convince me that any sort of anti-counterfeiting can't be copied. They may be able to stop the knuckleheads, but determined people can do amazing things these days.

It sorta worries me that they're only going to do the bullion in 2021. I hope Ryder doesn't go insane more progressive and have different reverses like the Plats. He might be able to do that without legislation...

So, how many 2021 with 2020 reverse errors do you think we'll see? :D

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure how a redesign is supposed to stop counterfeiting.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to see a new design bet equality beautiful

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the old designs

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

They better be PC
    :s

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, we want P[In]C! LOL

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2019 7:20AM

Maybe they can fix that disturbing facial expression on Liberty during the redesign.

They screwed up the landing eagle's wing on the reverse also.
    The proportions are really far off and they don't land like that anyway.

They can't do any worse unless they try ripping off/improving St. Gauden's $20 reverse :(

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to see them tackle the spotting issue first. You know it’s real if it’s spotted.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting.... I do not have much confidence in the 'design by committee' process...everything gets diluted and sanitized....I would prefer they leave it to a true artist and let the final decision be made between the artist and one person. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2019 9:29AM

I just can't wait to see what a sensitive and caring multi-cultural eagle looks like.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillDugan1959 said:

@koynekwest said:

And then the official ASE could look just exactly like 5,000 different but similar private issue silver rounds that have been issued since 1970 with the same designs on both sides. Just exactly like them.

I don't think that's a good idea at all.

I for one will be pleased to see the reverse of the gold changed to something else. Have never ever liked that design.

I think the Mint would do a much better job of accurately portraying the original designs than the makers of silver rounds have done.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@konyekwest If you need a newer closer replica of the Walking Liberty Half Dollar, the Mint provided a pretty decent official product in 2016.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overall, this will be interesting from the design to the anti-CF process.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mint needs an engraver with bonafides, who is a white hat at defcon. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file