Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Turn around times

Does PSA ever complete bulk orders before the 85 days.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had one of those "lucky" bulk subs that pop in a week or two after submission in well over a year but I know some people do. Here is my "conspiracy theory". When we see the average turnaround times are at 75 days, per the previous weeks average, I would bet that is correct. But, as most of us are seeing turnaround times for bulk well beyond that there has to be a different side. My "theory" is that they have to throw a few thru faster to keep that average down or we would be looking at 85+ days as the average and that would start to make the natives restless again. I know they have changed the turnaround time on bulk to 85 days but sure looks better if they say it's 85 days and they are getting them done in 75 and not too upset if it goes a little beyond. I think most of us that submit bulk will probably be looking at 85 or more. From my conversation with a customer service rep at a show a couple weeks ago, stuff is lined up all over the place waiting to be graded. Again, this is my theory and may hold no water at all. I don't believe there would ever be a way to confirm this. What we do know is that orders are not first in first out.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

^> @PROMETHIUS88 said:

What we do know is that orders are not first in first out.

THIS ^

Why the heck do they not use this??? It is a pretty standard business practice, and seems to be the only sane option to use. You may need to have a 'beautiful mind' to understand what process they are using otherwise.

Step 1. Use the box to queue for opening - determined by the # of days written on the box
    Step 2. Open the box and determine what orders are inside and then add each of them into an appropriate FIFO queue

Step 3. PSA, please send me a check if you implement. xD

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    ^> @PROMETHIUS88 said:

THIS ^

Why the heck do they not use this??? It is a pretty standard business practice, and seems to be the only sane option to use. You may need to have a 'beautiful mind' to understand what process they are using otherwise.

Step 1. Use the box to queue for opening - determined by the # of days written on the box
    Step 2. Open the box and determine what orders are inside and then add each of them into an appropriate FIFO queue

This would be fine if they didn’t have different submission tiers and a finite number of graders weighed against seemingly infinite submissions. As much as FIFO works in the ideal world, in reality you have to consider what you would do when you’re about to grade 50 bulk and 50 2 day arrive. Which one gets priority? Now multiply that by the number of daily incoming orders...

It’s simple really - the more you pay the less you wait and the less you pay the more you wait.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Well since it’s been
    A while since I sent
    A bulk order , I was really stunned by the turn around time.

Thank you all.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

This would be fine if they didn’t have different submission tiers and a finite number of graders weighed against seemingly infinite submissions. As much as FIFO works in the ideal world, in reality you have to consider what you would do when you’re about to grade 50 bulk and 50 2 day arrive. Which one gets priority? Now multiply that by the number of daily incoming orders...

It’s simple really - the more you pay the less you wait and the less you pay the more you wait.

The different submission tiers is completely understandable and should take priority. I think the question is how one bulk sub can go over 100 days when another pops in 2 weeks with similar cards involved.
    What we need is Todd to sneak down to the grading room and get us some solid answers!!! ;)

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    ^> @PROMETHIUS88 said:

THIS ^

This would be fine if they didn’t have different submission tiers and a finite number of graders weighed against seemingly infinite submissions. As much as FIFO works in the ideal world, in reality you have to consider **what you would do when you’re about to grade 50 bulk and 50 2 day arrive. ** Which one gets priority? Now multiply that by the number of daily incoming orders...

It would make sense to have X amount of graders working solely on the bulk side, X amount solely on 2 day, X amount solely on 1 day, and so on for each tier of turnaround time. I used to work in CS for a major sunglasses manufacturer and that's how we did it with our repair department. So many worked on consumers glasses, and so many work on retailers glasses that were sent in, and so many worked on walk-ins, etc. We used to also say our turn around time was 7-10 business days, when in reality, it was only in our possession a couple of days. The thought process was we knew they'd get done in just a couple of days internally, and the customer would be surprised and happy when they got them back "early." I know I'm not comparing apples to apples, but the idea is similar, just on a different scale.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

My bulks grade quick unless I have a lot of first graded or new spec items that need entry. I'll try and calculate my 2019 average when I get home. Pretty sure I'm under 40 business days AVERAGE. Of course I keep them between 100 to 125 cards maximum

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has NOT been the case for me. In fact, in my experience, the opposite has been the norm.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

My last experience with SuperExpress (advertised ESTIMATED TURNAROUND: 2 Business Days)

1 card --
    Dropped off at NJ PSA office on 10/1
    Reported received in CA on 10/7
    Grading process finished and card shipped on 10/15
    Graded card delivered on 10/17

• Options
    edited October 30, 2019 7:23AM

@gurban12 said:
    My last experience with SuperExpress (advertised ESTIMATED TURNAROUND: 2 Business Days)

1 card --
    Dropped off at NJ PSA office on 10/1
    Reported received in CA on 10/7
    Grading process finished and card shipped on 10/15
    Graded card delivered on 10/17

I was just over 2 weeks as well for superexpress. Seems like it should be a lot less if you truly are paying for turnaround time.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash
    @gurban12

We’re these ‘first to be graded’ items? Just curious as that adds time. Stinks that you’ve had tough luck. Also, do you follow the guidelines they offer about what the cards are placed in, labeling and identifying them properly, etc?

Just trying to be helpful - not a wise guy. I’m a collector, not a dealer, so I don’t have deadlines to meet. I have one on the way there and one that’s been there a while. The latter has research involved so it may take some more time.

I’m nowhere near a big time subber but I’ve had pretty good luck when I’ve paid up for faster service tiers - with one to five cards.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

The clock on timing according to guidelines starts when received and ends when grading completed. So according to PSA, even though I dropped off at PSA NJ on 10/1, the clock didn't start until received in CA on 10/7. Additionally, the clock stops once grading is complete. My card sat in 'Shipping' status for no less than 3 business days before it was actually shipped so those days didn't count according to their policy. (plus the 4 weekend days). So technically, they weren't that far off from their stated policy. I have 3 open orders with them. 2 bulk (right at 100 cards each) and one 15 card free w/ membership submission which I believe is estimated at 25 days. We will see.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2019 12:57PM

@secretstash
    @gurban12

We’re these ‘first to be graded’ items? Just curious as that adds time. Stinks that you’ve had tough luck. Also, do you follow the guidelines they offer about what the cards are placed in, labeling and identifying them properly, etc?

Just trying to be helpful - not a wise guy. I’m a collector, not a dealer, so I don’t have deadlines to meet. I have one on the way there and one that’s been there a while. The latter has research involved so it may take some more time.

I’m nowhere near a big time subber but I’ve had pretty good luck when I’ve paid up for faster service tiers - with one to five cards.

Not having labels may play a part in my speed, I suppose. I think it is ridiculous to label each card saver 1 though, so I just simply do not do it. If I send in a bulk order, I just put them in the same order the submission is entered in. Never had an issue with misplacing cards or losing my order, although I did have an extra card in my order once. LOL.......I had put in a card on the end of a box to act as a barrier for the end of the box and they asked me if I wanted to grade it. It was a card of absolutely no value though, so I told them to please just throw it away.

• Options

@secretstash said:
    Not having labels may play a part in my speed, I suppose. I think it is ridiculous to label each card saver 1 though, so I just simply do not do it. If I send in a bulk order, I just put them in the same order the submission is entered in. Never had an issue with misplacing cards or losing my order, although I did have an extra card in my order once. LOL.......I had put in a card on the end of a box to act as a barrier for the end of the box and they asked me if I wanted to grade it. It was a card of absolutely no value though, so I told them to please just throw it away.

I went thru a phase where I wasn't putting the stickers on each card and my last several subs I have. It's a pain but I figure it's helpful if something happens and just to be safe. In my experience, it hasn't made a difference whether there were stickers or not on the turnaround time. Stickers on does not seem to be making them go any faster.
    I will say that my login time seemed much quicker dropping off a couple submissions at a show. I know they still had to ship them back to the office but two of them were logged within 5 calendar days of the end of the show on Sunday and the other was 7 business days

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cannot make exact comments on specific submissions, but things to keep in-mind that can affect turnaround times...

• Packages that are not labeled on the outside
    • Packages that include cards that would be first-graded examples
    • Improperly filled out paperwork

Truthfully, I wish that we could tour people through the entire logging/grading/slabbing/shipping process as it is a lot more detailed than one would think, but that is just not possible.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:
    I cannot make exact comments on specific submissions, but things to keep in-mind that can affect turnaround times...

Truthfully, I wish that we could tour people through the entire logging/grading/slabbing/shipping process as it is a lot more detailed than one would think, but that is just not possible.

Will there ever be a time when we can tour PSA like the Hershey's factory? Sign me up.

• Options

@secretstash said:

Will there ever be a time when we can tour PSA like the Hershey's factory? Sign me up.

Free samples at the end of the tour

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@AFLfan said:

I heard if you put Todd's name on the outside of the box it will sit on a shelf and collect dust for 2 years.

No 10s for you!!!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@AFLfan said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

I heard if you put Todd's name on the outside of the box it will sit on a shelf and collect dust for 2 years.

No 10s for you!!!

10's aren't a problem, I get plenty of those. It's the inconsistency of grading 1962 Jell-O that concerns me. I wish someone could explain it to me.

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

How long do most orders stay in research and ID? I have a one card express order received on 10/14 still in that phase.

• Options

@soxaddict said:
    How long do most orders stay in research and ID?

There's huge variability in that phase. If it's something fairly common that they've graded before, it can be pretty quick (couple weeks on bulks). If it's a 'first copy graded' item, I've got subs logged 9/4 & 9/5 still in R&ID.

• Options
    soxaddictsoxaddict Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

Decided to get the autographed graded on this.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I've had an order stay in QA2 this week. How long does it stay there? It seems it would move out of there fairly quickly.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have cards in assembly that have been there at least a week.

Losing my mind!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    gurban12gurban12 Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November 2, 2019 9:45AM

Lol. Glad I just read the last 2 posts to reset my expectations. One of my bulks just moved from grading to assembly yesterday. So I muttered to myself, things should probably move quickly now! Haha.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

My 15 card CC renewal moved through the post Research/ID stages pretty quickly this week. Was watching like a hawk yesterday, hoping it would get out of QA2 before the weekend. Alas, no dice - still QA2 at midnight eastern. Much to my surprise, I received at email early this afternoon that grades were in - yay weekend PSA hours! :)

Jim

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@soxaddict said:

Decided to get the autographed graded on this.

Sick nice!

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

At my age I probably will not remember I sent my bulk order in when I finally get them back.

• Options
    bcubsbcubs Posts: 344 ✭✭✭

I have a bulk that is 17 business days in assembly phase. I would think once it gets past grading it's just in and out of the slab room.

Appreciate today-

Bill

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Don't have snagit or other on desktop to get the screenshot, but I believe this is pretty good.

It went through the 'arrived' 'order prep' 'research and id' 'grading' levels before I completed wiping me bum from the last tragic sub I had.

Behold :
    'PSA labels are being printed, and each eligible item is being sonically sealed within a PSA holder'.
    Total Items: 100
    Date Received: 10/29/2019
    Date Shipped: N/A

100 card bulk.. maybe 'Assembly' will take a long time due to my associated Studness, Hope so cuz I was not expecting to have to pay for this for another 5 months. I better sell sheet fast.

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I have about 20 tickets submitted on the ticket special a few quarters ago. Logged 6/28. I was hoping for poppage around thanksgiving but the order hasn’t moved from stage 3 yet. It’s mostly President inauguration tickets.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

I've had some good movement recently it seems.
    Bulk from 10/15 is in Assembly
    CC-Free from 10/21 moved to QA2 today.
    Bulk from 10/21 still in Research

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

What phase do the grades pop ? I look more forward to that than actually receiving the cards.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

@eagles33 said:
    What phase do the grades pop ? I look more forward to that than actually receiving the cards.

Shipping