Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Almost there....with supreme patience.

coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

I started a set of Reeded Edge Half Dollars all the way back in 2003. It was the little set that had two requirements:

1. Each coin had to be perfectly original, with outstanding eye appeal.
  2. The grade had to be XF

I had no idea at the time how difficult it would be to get coins with those criteria.

The first coin (1837) was purchased in Carmel, CA from a local dealer.
It then took me 13 years to find another, the 1838, that I bought from Tom Bush. Lighting struck twice in one year as I was able to get into a bidding war for an amazing 1839-O at the 2016 Anaheim ANA show.

Three years went by until I was able to snag this 1839 from CRO.

Only one more to go, the 1836! Even a dealer has to collect something and this little set has been a real pleasure. If anyone has an 1836 in XF that is amazing, please give me a holler. :)

Happy Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

GREAT COINS!! Patience has PAID!! CONGRATS!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a nice group. I like them all but if forced to choose a favorite.... the 1837.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome coins John

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for giving the update. Awesome addition.

Is the 39-O lit in such a way to show the color? I ask because it seems to stand out with a very different patina assuming that was your intent to match one another.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it!
    But did you really decide to start the set when you purchased the first coin? Seems "supremely patient" to wait over a decade for coin #2. I would have abandoned the idea quickly.
    Good luck!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are really terrific original coins Coinlieutenant. Patience does pay great set dividends to collectors especially when combined with your knowledge of what a truely original coin looks like. Only one more to go!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovin the peripheral die crack on the 39 o. All are very nice.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you get that final piece I hope you promote yourself to coincaptain. Nice collection!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow very nice examples

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive set... The 1837 is my favorite. Which one do you like the best? Once completed what do you plan to do with the set? Sell or tuck it away? When it comes time to sell would you piece it out or sell as a set? What will be the next endeavor?

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive!!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group of coins.... Long time to wait for number two....Good luck with the last one...and please show us when you find her....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set of exceedingly wholesome coins! Good luck with finding your 1836.

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

@drddm said:

Best of luck on finding that 36!

Dave

Thanks Dave. Those you posted are beautiful and amazing. I picked XF in 2003 because I was actively collecting the Lettered Edge in choice AU. Thought the RE would be easier in XF (wrong) and liked the 37 as a perfect coin and wanted to have it match.

@Catbert said:

Is the 39-O lit in such a way to show the color? I ask because it seems to stand out with a very different patina assuming that was your intent to match one another.

Mark took the pic of that coin and did it via two methods (his mirror technique, and straight on) . Posted side by side below:

@DCW said:
    Love it!
    But did you really decide to start the set when you purchased the first coin? Seems "supremely patient" to wait over a decade for coin #2. I would have abandoned the idea quickly.
    Good luck!

I did decide to do it then. But it was a situation where the first coin was so perfect that I had a very very hard time finding an equivalent, especially in this often abused series.

@Crusty said:
    Very impressive set... The 1837 is my favorite. Which one do you like the best? Once completed what do you plan to do with the set? Sell or tuck it away? When it comes time to sell would you piece it out or sell as a set? What will be the next endeavor?

Brishen, I will not sell it when complete. Will either be donated or left to heirs. Hard to say my favorite. I'm buried in the 39-O, so it is likely my favorite if I had to really decide. @TomB has the only other 39-O in XF that would fit in the set. I begged him to sell for literally years. Next is really still ongoing...my Swiss Shooting Thalers and Type. No one cares about Swiss so the chance of competing with my customers in Silicon Valley Coins is nearly zero.

Thank you everyone for the kind words and letting me share.

John

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

great coins I really like the 38.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins and a superb series to collect. Congratulations on having the "eye"!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set. As for the 1836, maybe you should just pony up for a MS coin and use it as a pocket piece until it is XF........

But the coins in your set do look much better than XF, so you might want to degrade them a little in your pocket too.

OINK

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. I imagine many folks don’t realize how hard it is to find coins like these. Great examples.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

No PR40 or 45 1838-O's available?

Nice short set and a nice grade/coins. I have always wanted an attractive '39-O, and I just saw a couple. Thank you.

thefinn
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have the right patience for the right coin. Congratulations

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019 12:48AM

Your perseverance will be rewarded. Good luck to you finding your last one .... and can afford it when you do B)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2019 5:30PM

Randomly in the resurrected "one coin" thread,
    I saw this post of yours from 2005, where you dreamed of owning the 1838-O Norweb (to complete the ultimate set)!
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/4511295/#Comment_4511295

• Options
    fcfc Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭

I like the 38 the best

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file