Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Post a fun non card item...

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an item in my collection that while not a card is made of cardboard. One of those weird items that I purchased a while back because it is linked to a favorite player of mine. As a big Mickey Mantle fan, I have read The Mick , and I have read The Last Boy and a few other biographies of the Commerce Comet. I believe it was in the The Mick by Herb Gluck where Mickey tells the story of how when the season ended in 1950, he was the league MVP and batting champion for the Joplin Miners and just as today, the pros were still playing. As such, Mickey Mantle and a few other players were given the typical September call up treatment. Given the roster and the nature of that Yankees team, none of these guys played down the two week stretch but they all wore the Major League uniform, traveled with the team, took batting practice and in a way - given that he would participate in Spring Training and make the Opening Day roster in 1951 - this is the moment Mickey Mantle became a Yankee.

In the book, Mantle says he was very star struck and it was all a blur and he spent most of the time hiding in the clubhouse, then the dugout and they finally dragged him on the field for BP. He describes his most vivid memory from the day as seeing the way Phil Rizzuto took fielding practice and realizing that he would never play shortstop in the majors, as he had played all season for Joplin. Obviously, this proved true as Mickey would debut in right and settle in centerfield where he would play the bulk of his career. Oddly enough, the day he was called up was a double header against the St. Louis Browns.

If you’re still with me, that brings me to the reason for the post - this piece. It is the program from the game referenced above - the first time Mickey Mantle appeared in a Yankee uniform during a Major League Baseball game.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Air23GOATAir23GOAT Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

This is an interesting item. An '84 UNC Dean Smith/Michael Jordan coloring book. Pretty random but still a cool piece to my collection.

1997 Greek Almanako magazine with MJ card still inside. Just like the Nintendo Chaos in the Windy City perforated card you got out of the magazine. I actually own a few of these mags. The seller in Greece kept listing them so I kept buying them. Pretty rare. I can't bring myself to tear one of these cards out so I can have one for myself & maybe get it slabbed.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.
    Any other big Jordan nuts out there let me know.

• bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2019 9:51AM

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

Won this on ebay a while ago. Thought it was a nice item.

Since then I have been told that Killebrew purchased these and gave them to his team mates. I don't know if it's true, but that would be WAY COOL!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CommemKing said:

Who signed your balls?

• dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty sure Randall was the starter when I bought this pack of chewing gum! Wanna piece? lol

• ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Arthur

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Air23GOAT said:

This is an interesting item. An '84 UNC Dean Smith/Michael Jordan coloring book. Pretty random but still a cool piece to my collection.

1997 Greek Almanako magazine with MJ card still inside. Just like the Nintendo Chaos in the Windy City perforated card you got out of the magazine. I actually own a few of these mags. The seller in Greece kept listing them so I kept buying them. Pretty rare. I can't bring myself to tear one of these cards out so I can have one for myself & maybe get it slabbed.

I've never seen the coloring book before, very cool.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

This is a 30x48 Hand Painted Oil over Silkscreen on Canvas by Steve Kaufman. It belonged to my dad and I got it after he passed. From what I've heard the reason it says Mickey Mantle's is that it had something to do with his Restaurant.

• CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2019 12:11PM

@NGS428 said:

@CommemKing said:

Who signed your balls?

Sorry. They are matching 1989 Official World Series baseballs signed by Oakland Athletics satrs, Mark McGuire and Jose Canseco. "The Bash Brothers." They were the best in those days. I was 12 and I was a huge Oakland A's fan then. I had to make this little set. Brings back memories every time.

I've never seen the coloring book before, very cool.

I know. This is the only one I've ever come across. I wonder why they decided to make these. Or why they decided to make only one.

I'm all about that Jordan stuff. Cards, stickers, posters & whatever else is cool. The rarer the better. And always in a PSA 10 if I can help it.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one makes me both happy and sad, how awesome would it have been to have 1985 Topps cards of Barry Larkin and Will Clark?

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

over the years I have been blessed with so many gifts from my cardboard family, got this one year for my BDay (nice card that was sent with it, but lost in limbo in photobucket somewhere...….. )

Also received this Via Upper Deck in 2009

During this Holiday Season, we would like to hear your stories about how you contribute to society by giving away cards/product to those less fortunate. Tell/Show us how you help to make a difference during the holidays, and one selfless fan will get an autographed Ken Griffey Jr. promotional poster opposed to lumps of coal ;) Happy Holidays!

Thank you to everyone for sharing your various stories of how you help the less fortunate over the holidays. Michael Doffing was our random winner - thank you "magicpapa" for helping to spread holiday cheer to those in need throughout the year! We hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday!
    numbered 24/24 to boot :D

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice Mantle piece.
    Too bad there is no reference to him on it.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2019 5:18AM

@jay0791 said:
    Very nice Mantle piece.
    Too bad there is no reference to him on it.

I don’t disagree but I also like it for the same reason. Let’s face it - starting in 1952 and lasting until his death, Mickey Mantle is the headliner. On this day in 1950, he is just some anonymous, unlisted ‘extra’ Yankee. Just a kid in the dugout who still isn’t sure he’s going to be good enough...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

1963 AFL Champion SAN DIEGO Chargers Coca-Cola Candy dish. Never seen another...

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • judgebuckjudgebuck Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I think there are some 1950 Yankees programs from late in the year where Mantle is listed on the roster but without a number.

Always looking for Mantle cards such as Stahl Meyer, 1954 Dan Dee, 1959 Bazooka, 1960 Post, 1952 Star Cal Decal, 1952 Tip Top Bread Labels, 1953-54 Briggs Meat, and other Topps, Bowman, and oddball Mantles.

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

edited October 26, 2019 2:25AM

one of my old Hot Wheels

and a few older 100's

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

not sports but have this in my collection , thought was interesting to buy

Not sports related but one of my favorites. My dad got me into all of the great, classic comedians ie Marx Brothers, 3 Stooges, Chaplin, W.C. Fields, Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello.
    This photo is from the 1938 movie Room Service & signed by Groucho, Chico & Harpo. Not my favorite movie of theirs but still pretty great.

Basketball season is here people!

• psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

For all us Dodger haters...

A Giant(!) 33 oz. bottle!

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

Got this signed by Brown at the Flyers Wives Carnival in 1995 or 1996