Home U.S. Coin Forum

Heritage down.............................for quite a long time.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

The tab at the site says "Maintenance" but it seems like an awfully long time for that. Additionally, the message says they are unable to respond to e-mails which sounds sort of ominous, like they got hacked or have some kind of major mainframe problem. Does anyone have insight into what's happening??

Al H.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    The tab at the site says "Maintenance" but it seems like an awfully long time for that. Additionally, the message says they are unable to respond to e-mails which sounds sort of ominous, like they got hacked or have some kind of major mainframe problem. Does anyone have insight into what's happening??

Al H.

There is another thread on this. Don't know exactly what happened. They went down on Friday night. They are posting messages (with zero information) on their Facebook and Twitter feeds. All it really says is "stay tuned. we're extending all auctions"

I will also add, they appeared to be having some kind of trouble even before this outage. About 10 days ago, I received notification that I was past due on an auction from 2017. When I contacted them, they said it was a glitch in the system.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope they have redundant backups... not “a” backup, but redundant, since it appears it’s been glitchy for more than a day or two.

Reconstructing records will be rough.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of now still going:

"We are experiencing a technical outage that is taking longer than expected to restore. We realize that open auctions are being delayed, and we will repost them and extend them so that everyone can participate. We will notify all consignors and all bidders as soon as we can. Thank you very much for your patience. We are unable to respond to emails at this time, but will do so as soon as possible.

Please check our Facebook and Twitter pages for the latest information. "

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

@Traz said:

@Hemispherical said:
    Hope they have redundant backups... not “a” backup, but redundant, since it appears it’s been glitchy for more than a day or two.

Most systems don’t have a backup any longer. Systems are usually virtualized these days so it’s possible to have a lot of system snapshots or backups with minimal space used (especially with deduping).

But from the length of this downtime and this coming from someone who is in expert in the field...

“This ain’t good”.

Agreed. It's reminiscent of the earliest days of the internet.

• TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

Let me clarify when I said “a backup” I mean as in one backup.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2019 7:39AM

Very concerned....I hope they're able to sort things out.

I can't imagine how the bidders and consigners must feel....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@Traz said:

@Hemispherical said:

Most systems don’t have a backup any longer. Systems are usually virtualized these days so it’s possible to have a lot of system snapshots or backups with minimal space used (especially with deduping).

But from the length of this downtime and this coming from someone who is in expert in the field...

“This ain’t good”.

Agreed. Most of the time, systems are not hard to bring back up - except in instances of certain classes of hacking operations. The longer this goes on the more I'm wondering if they are the victim of some sort of campaign - like ransomware.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

ransomware is what I was thinking and hoping against.

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we are jumping to conclusions, how many folks bank account and credit card info will be at risk?

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a concern from my perspective. It wouldn't be good if they were hacked. The lack of transparency is concerning.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frustrating as a bidder. Potentially devastating as a consignor. Hope they get it back quickly.

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2019 9:17AM

@Traz said:

@Hemispherical said:

“This ain’t good”.

Agreed - I work in cybersecurity and I hope they weren't hit with ransomware. This level of downtime is very atypical. Backups are great but companies need to have disaster recovery plans in place to ensure business continuity.

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Very concerned....I hope they're able to sort things out.

I can't imagine how the bidders and consigners must feel....

I can. :'(:#

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing...

• FishproFishpro Posts: 377 ✭✭✭

A question, do we need to check our banks and credit cards?

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

pure speculation on my part...Heritage goes up on fees and now their system "crashes"...this issue is definitely costing them $$$...I hope they are able to get this resolved quickly with minimum concerns for all :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Fishpro said:

Yes, I think that’s something that should be monitored daily, anyway....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

@keets said:
    ransomware is what I was thinking and hoping against.

ransomware isnt the only show in town, but it does seem to be one that gets headlines more these days.

I hope they are okay, but ... down all weekend?

Bottom line: they are NOT okay. Any major company dealing in billions of dollars that is down for this long is strictly speaking screwed.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:

@Fishpro said:

Yes, I think that’s something that should be monitored daily, anyway....

Thank you for the reminder to do my daily log in!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Then again, one of the major credit score companies recently got brutally hacked because the system had....

username: admin
    password: admin

So, just because they are a big company doesnt mean they have talented developers/sa's/security-in-depth practices.

In fact, the longer this goes on, I'd assume they DONT have good tech people.

even more confounding, their twitter continues auction advertisements - with links - to pages that are broken.

what are they doing? they are just embarrassing themselves now.

still getting Heritage emails of future auctions but still can't view any of the links

Kennedys are my quest...

@TradesWithChops said:
    even more confounding, their twitter continues auction advertisements - with links - to pages that are broken.

I doubt there biggest concern is to go in and edit old content on their twitter feed.

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look at their caption just uploaded 20 minutes ago...

So they were not hacked, they are just resting as it is Sunday... :D

how about "lost in space" warning Will Robinson, warning

Kennedys are my quest...

edited October 20, 2019 12:32PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

I doubt there biggest concern is to go in and edit old content on their twitter feed.

it's new content. 4 mins old at the time of my posting.

Are you an HA apologist? your posts seem quite forgiving of their mistakes, and contradictory to factual evidence. I'm not calling for them to "edit old posts" - they are creating new content with links to broken pages. It doesnt make any sense at all.

You'd think their marketing team should be aware that its completely broken. They shouldnt be adding new links at the present moment in time.

@TradesWithChops said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@TradesWithChops said:

it's new content. 4 mins old at the time of my posting.

Are you an HA apologist? your posts seem quite forgiving of their mistakes, and contradictory to factual evidence. I'm not calling for them to "edit old posts" - they are creating new content with links to broken pages. It doesnt make any sense at all.

You'd think their marketing team should be aware that its completely broken. They shouldnt be adding new links at the present moment in time.

Is it newly generated or simply timed release?

"HA apologist"? LMFAO Is that supposed to be some kind of dig? No, I'm just patient enough to wait it out without either speculation or accusations.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    No, I'm just patient enough to wait it out without either speculation or accusations.

Now, where's the fun in that?

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    No, I'm just patient enough to wait it out without either speculation or accusations.

Maybe we should start the rumor that PCGS initiated the cyber attack to prevent the sale of a misattributed coin. ;)

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Maybe we should start the rumor that PCGS initiated the cyber attack to prevent the sale of a misattributed coin. ;)

That should skirt the libel clause.
    Barely. :D

@topstuf said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That should skirt the libel clause.
    Barely. :D

Hey, I'm the corporate apologist in the room! I only libel collectors.

• mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the Heritage Homepage:

Heritage would like to thank everyone for their patience as we work to restore our website.
    We apologize for any inconvenience. We have confirmed that we were a victim of a malware attack. Please be aware that client financial information (e.g. credit card, bank account info, etc.) is maintained by a third-party provider and thus not affected.
    We expect to be back online soon.
    All currently affected auctions will be extended or rescheduled and we will notify everyone accordingly.
    More updates soon.

@mbogoman said:
    From the Heritage Homepage:

Heritage would like to thank everyone for their patience as we work to restore our website.
    We apologize for any inconvenience. We have confirmed that we were a victim of a malware attack. Please be aware that client financial information (e.g. credit card, bank account info, etc.) is maintained by a third-party provider and thus not affected.
    We expect to be back online soon.
    All currently affected auctions will be extended or rescheduled and we will notify everyone accordingly.
    More updates soon.

They've already posted it directly on this forum.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2019 1:31PM

...The “official” thread answered this unstated question...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1027174/heritage-website-down-official

@WAYNEAS said:
    pure speculation on my part...Heritage goes up on fees and now their system "crashes"...this issue is definitely costing them $$$...I hope they are able to get this resolved quickly with minimum concerns for all :)

on another note: I wonder what happens when I open this funny looking email attachment

Kennedys are my quest...

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Would not joke about that you might be breaking PCGS rules .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

so if it is a "ransomware" attack, what new fee increase will we see to help pay for it lol :s

Kennedys are my quest...

• bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

Prolly due to an employee posting on coin websites. 😎

@bolivarshagnasty said:
    Prolly due to an employee posting on coin websites. 😎

are you saying "shill bidding" lol :)

Kennedys are my quest...

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great. Now the buyer's fees will go up to 25%.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    ...The “official” thread answered this unstated question...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1027174/heritage-website-down-official

Who authors it makes it "Official".
    I like this one. It is original. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file