Home U.S. Coin Forum

Howell Works Garden- Allaire, NJ and a very special Hard Times token

DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

New Jersey--Allaire. Undated (1835) Howell Works Garden. HT-201A, Low-Unlisted, W-NJ-100-15a. Rarity-9. Copper. Plain Edge. 29.5 mm--Overstruck on an 1820 Matron Head Cent--EF-40 (PCGS)

Here is a magnificent recent purchase from the Q. David Bowers Collection of Hard Times Tokens that has a great deal of local significance. It comes from the "Howell Works," an old mining town in Central New Jersey that was in operation in the early part of the 19th Century. While the tokens from this establishment are not exceedingly rare, this particular example is struck over an 1820 Matron Head Cent and thought to be unique. I love the "look" of this piece, almost all details of the undertype visible to the unaided eye. Quite dramatic. The way the rose is growing out of the star of the cent, it looks like Lady Liberty is wearing it in her hair.
I recently took a trip to the site of the Howell Works, known today as Allaire State Park.

The area known as the "Howell Works" was purchased by steamship builder and New York City businessman, James P. Allaire, on April 27, 1822. A blast furnace as well as some buildings were already on site, and the 5,000 acres of forest provided ample charcoal to fire it. It was named after Benjamin Howell, the previous owner of the Works there. Allaire also wanted to distinguish this from his established business in New York, already named "Allaire Works." What prompted Allaire to purchase land in New Jersey was the abundant presence of bog iron in its swampy marshes, the principal ingredient to casting iron products of the day.

The Howell Works flourished here up until around 1836 when a series of unfortunate events occurred in rapid succession.
In October of that year Allaire lost to the sea his prized steamship, the "William Gibbons." In it he lost the principal manner in which to transport his goods to New York Harbor. It was followed by an even bigger loss in 1837 by the sinking of his second steamship, the "Home," with 100 lives lost. The "Panic of 1837" had by this time set in, and the United States entered a period of economic downturn, making it extremely difficult for Allaire to secure credit necessary to remedy these disasters. Finally, huge deposits of iron ore and coal were discovered in Pennsylvania, producing there a more refined form of iron products at a cheaper cost. The Howell Works lost its relevance but limped on until 1846, never fully recovering from the preceding events and closing its furnace that year.

Today, Allaire Village is celebrated as one of the first self sufficient communities of early America. At its peak in 1836, the town had around 500 residents, complete with a church, school, general store, and many other buildings to support themselves. They even had a stage coach terminal for trips along the seaside towns. Below you will find some photos of what it all looks like today:

This old church was constructed in 1832 and also served as a school. Mr. Allaire had all children living in the village attend until they were around 12 years old, upon which they would enter the workforce. Providing an education to girls was not a common endeavor in the 1830s, but at the Howell Works this was standard practice

Workers' rowhouses

The bakery was erected in 1835 to supply bread to the community. Today, you can purchase fresh apple cider and various pastries from women dressed in period clothing.

Blacksmith's shop was built in 1836 and used the bog ore mined here to produce tools and cast iron products sold in the general store and sent to NYC by way of steamboat. On weekends, you can visit the blacksmith operating one of the four forges, making small trinkets and souvenirs out of iron.

General Store

This general store was the first of its kind. It was an attraction for the area towns, who made trips to shop there in a way which reminds me of a 19th Century mall. It was four stories high and incorporated one of the first elevators using a pulley system to haul supplies.

Inside the general store was a post office.

I brought the token with me and stood outside the general store where it once represented a form of payment. Pondered what value it held for the community, for what goods could it be exchanged? Stood there wondering if it was struck on a cent by chance or for some significance lost to time. It certainly would not have been made for numismatic purposes back then. Perhaps a trial strike, and then it circulated alongside the others.

Whatever the reason, it has taken on a new meaning now, one as a relic of a bygone era. A simpler time, when people worked and lived right alongside each other, sharing life's moments together between sunrise and sundown. And as I walked around the village with this token in my pocket, alongside my children on this beautiful Fall day, I couldn't help but feel a part of those times.

Thank you for reading!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s really awesome, thanks for sharing. I love wondering where coins have been, what they bought, where they were hiding to survive 100-200 years.

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always enjoy being able to see/experience a location that is directly related to a coin or token I have in my collection. As you said, you look at the coin differently after being at the site, especially if you’re drawn to items that have interesting historical stories behind them. I’ve managed to visit a few locations from CWT store card in my collection. Even though the original buildings are usually gone, it’s still fun to think about them when you’re there.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a great post - pictures, history and a CWT......Very informative...Cheers, RickO

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very well done DCW!

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an excellent write up. I too have always wanted one go these tokens......One day :)
    Me and my finance have been planning for years to take some time off and drive through this fantastic country of ours and visit as many historical sites as possible. We are finally getting close to doing this......maybe just a few more years.
    I can tell I need to start making a list and include this one on it.

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice token!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice token and write up :)

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @DCW for taking the time to write this. Great post.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome historical write-up @DCW.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great informative post. I like that the coin had returned to visit it's "home".

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love threads like this! Thanks Dennis.

• CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Great post! One of the benefits in numismatics is being able to hold history in your hand. You took that to the next level by visiting the location of the piece. That token would likely have some interesting stories to tell. If only it could talk. Thank you for sharing!

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's okay to love tokens, but had to laugh seeing you take your tokens out on dates ;):D

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the other Howell Works Garden token from the Hard Times series:
    Allaire, NJ Howell Works Garden HT-200 PCGS XF40,ex. Bowers

I missed out on this one, as I was keeping my powder dry for the one struck over the 1820 Large Cent. Very hard to find this nice with great detail and a smooth planchet. Wouldve been great to keep the duo together, so I'll chalk this up as "one that got away."

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• DCWDCW Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Repost from last year.
    I visited the site again this weekend, as it is very close to where I live. It is one of my favorite places here in NJ. So peaceful. I'm very thankful to have this special piece in my collection.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an awesome write up and story. The tales those buildings and coin could tell. Thank for a feel good story.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for a wonderful post.

• mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

Awesome local place for us. Visit several times a year.

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW ... thanks for sharing !!!!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• truebloodtrueblood Posts: 609 ✭✭✭✭

That certainly is a beautiful and magical place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file