Home U.S. Coin Forum

What does everyone use?

What does everyone use for storing coins, especially raw coins? Box's? Folders? Just curious as to storing them and organizing them. Any pics would be great of your set ups for future ideas.

Thanks Jim.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Comments

• BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Danscos. I have Intercept Shields for my raw Lincolns and Indian cents.

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still an envelope guy and 2x2 red boxes.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 clever idea.

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea I'm in the red box 2x2 storage also. Except for my Danscos.

• RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red box 2x2, black slab boxes, PCGS blue boxes, Danscos.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a bunch of acid-free 35mm archival fiber slide boxes (the slides are now in archival pages in binders). 35mm slides are 2"x2", so they're perfect for holding... 2x2's. The corners are bound with metal making the boxes incredible strong.

I also have a friend who works in a bio-lab, and she had a bunch of empty Matrix 12.5 ul pipette tip boxes made of polypropylene that holds two rows of 2x2's in a flip top type container. They work great, are very strong and stackable, and best of all, they were free. :D

Images upon request...

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dansco and various slab knockoff holders-i.e. Coin World slabs, etc.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

i use Dansco for raw and the Eagle type 3 ring binders for slabbed and plastic flips for other dreck.

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

For raw coins (which almost all of mine are) I am currently looking for good storage options. I do have an old metal slide box which I like for 2x2s. A lot of them are in 2x2s and sorted into plastic zip-lock bags until I can find better options. I also use tubes and flips.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Danisco 2x2 flips and the pcg

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs boxes and NFC boxes

• WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

For all my raw coin sets they are in Dansco albums, extra coins I store in flips and in red 2x2 boxes. My proof and mint sets are stored in black storage boxes.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 6:48AM

On my raw coins I use
    Lighthouse Quadrum 2x2 Coin Holders -16 to - 56 mm --5 to 10 packs. Then I put them in this holders those up to 39 mm the rest goes in oversize box. I started this a few years ago and I have about 8 of these filled now. They hold about 60 coins/tokens. And they stack nice just don’t drop it! :smiley:

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Old 35mm slide boxes. there are different sizes. 2x2's fit in to them perfectly. they stack and are neat, slots are even numbered.
    check second hand stores and flea markets. I paid $1 each and bought 15 of them (all the guy had)

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coins I have actually gone through and organized are listed below. I have an embarrassing amount of stuff that is still loose in bags or boxes, individually stored in whatever the eBay seller used to ship them to me.

The Lincoln clipped date set is in two Gardmaster albums, these are similar to the old Harco Coinmaster albums but with archival quality slides;
    The clipped type set is in a Dansco 7070;
    My childhood Lincoln set is also in a Dansco, but I am planning to move it into a Meghrig album;
    Several partial sets of US and foreign coins are kept in older Whitman Bookshelf albums;
    Then there are several boxes of loosely organized error and variety coins in flips in red 2x2 boxes;
    Finally, a couple of old toolboxes full of Lincoln and Jefferson BU rolls.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS slabs in PCGS boxes.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

My raw coins are stored in drawers of coin cabinets....some in 2x2's, some loose. Coins of value, or gold coins are in a large safe. Cheers, RickO

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Safe flip 2.5 x 2.5's and a binder with individual pages holding 12 coins per page

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly slabs in red double-row Intercept Shield boxes, slabs in PCGS boxes, and Danscos.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 10:55AM

2x2 holders (flip or cardboard) in Whitman storage box or binder 20 coin pages.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

2.5" flips fit in nicely in the slots in PCGS plastic boxes. I have a mixture of flips, cardboard 2x2, loose coins all over my desk, etc.

Collector, occasional seller

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well this is going to be a little different - I use drilling core sample boxes that are similar in size to the coin flip boxes. I used to work for an oil company and they discarded those boxes after they got rid of the core samples.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • CWT1863CWT1863 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭✭

Raw ones are stored in 2x2 Saflips inside of 2x2 single row box. I kept going back and forth between traditional 2x2s, saflips, and envelopes but have settled on the Saflips. PCGS/NGC slabs are in double row intercept box.

ANA-LM, CWTS-LM, NBS, TAMS, ANS

• BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

All of the above at one time of other, Depends on frequency of access.

• Jayyk31Jayyk31 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

I use airtights for my raw's and also plastic 2x2's and I use the boxes that the 2x2's come in. They stack right up.

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally like 1.5 x1.5 coin flips of mylar flip. I use these for 1 cent thru 25 . They take up less room in the safe. I also use albums I just purchased another set of Wayte Ramond boards for my IHC over flow. I am also a dansco fan my nickels, dimes and Franklin are housed in them.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

• RipVan_SmithRipVan_Smith Posts: 2
    edited May 18, 2022 3:32PM

I went with the BCW brand snap cases because they have a white side for labeling. The Lighthouse ENCAP Q52 plastic holder will hold 20 of these per page in an album. I like the Lighthouse Vario G albums that come with a slipcase. Get a couple of them on a shelf and they look like a set of encyclopedias.

• justindanjustindan Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pcgs slabs in pcgs boxes humidity controlled safe.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

In safes, Tupperware, boxes, on the desk, in the desk, ( on the floor 😎), upstairs, downstairs, binders and safe deposit box 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file