Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Do you use coin flips or cardboard holders?

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 16, 2019 3:35PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Wondering what type of holder people use

Plastic flip?

OR

Cardboard 2x2?

Post why you use a certain holder

Young Numismatist/collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Poll: Do you use coin flips or cardboard holders?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The plastic flip is better

For my ancient coins I use flips. For my world moderns and few u.s. coins left, cardboard flips.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 2x2 cardboard holder is safer

I hate plastic flips for a ton of reasons.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saflips and cardboard holders

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like high end mylar flips for some coins, but I also use mostly the old cardboard 2x2s, but only after I have wiped the cardboard dust off the inside.

My issue with flips is that they are not air tight, but the 2x2s, once stapled, are mostly air tight.

• Options
    DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

I like to use the 20 pocket sheets and put them in binders. The 2x2’s give me the preferred symmetrical look where the plastic flips seem to let the coins go all over the place.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

• Options
    rmorganrmorgan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭✭

I see advantages to both. But if the coin is special, I use a round capsule which is my favorite of all the options.

My strategy is about collecting what I intend to keep, not investing in what I plan to sell.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both, depends what I am going to be doing with the coin.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 5:00PM

None of the above, if it comes in a flip or holder it immediately gets transferred to a tube prior to burial out on the back forty.

I do posses some slabs (less than 1000) and usually leave as such unless they have the nasty then I crack and dip to make them right again.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the amount of info I can write on both sides of the cardboard. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    None of the above, if it comes in a flip or holder it immediately gets transferred to a tube prior to burial out on the back forty.

I like that! By the way.....where's the back 40?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2019 9:42PM

I use plastic flips because they are easier - no staples.

They can be much safer if you use a heat seal.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero staples near my coins. Flips.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    RockyMtnProspectorRockyMtnProspector Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both, depending on destination--slabbing, or to keep raw in the collection.

GSAs, OBW rolls, Seated, Walkers. Anything old and Colorado-focused, CO nationals.

Gonna get me a $50 Octagonal someday. Some. Day.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dansco.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

plastic flips don't cause staple scratches.

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

2x2s have never been a problem for me in reference to staples.
    I use a “Max” flat-clinch stapler.

Vs a standard stapler

• Options
    CollectorBonEZCollectorBonEZ Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 4:30AM

I like to use the cardboard and mylar flips for half dollar size and smaller. For large dollars, similar sized coins and extra thick coins I use a full mylar plastic flip or an Air-Tite plastic capsule. When I use the cardboard flips I do not use staples as the can damage other coins and flips if stored together. No one wants to pull out an uncirculated coin only to find a fresh scratch running across the face giving it a detail grade. Instead of staples I use clear tape tightly pressed around the edges. This does sometimes allow the coins to move a bit, but a little tap on one side or the other will put it back in place. In my opinion the tape looks nicer than staples, as well.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost all of my good U.S. coins are slabbed, but when I have a raw coin I use safety slips. For early copper, I use envelopes and cloth lined pouches. I prefer to have tokens, medals and my foreign and ancient coins raw and stored in flips.

I only use cardboard holders for items that I am selling in venues like my local club auction.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the plastic flip (non PVC)...Though I have a lot of coins in 2x2's....mostly acquired that way. I do not like the staples and mash them down or sometimes just remove them and put in flips. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Almost all of my good U.S. coins are slabbed, but when I have a raw coin I use safety slips. For early copper, I use envelopes and cloth lined pouches. I prefer to have tokens, medals and my foreign and ancient coins raw and stored in flips.

I only use cardboard holders for items that I am selling in venues like my local club auction.

What's the advantage of envelopes with cloth lined pouches? I have a few tokens I've purchased that came this way.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I do use flips, I heat seal them to keep them in place.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

How do you heat seal them?

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 10:18AM

I use both depending on the coin.

Flips - Usually larger coins50c size and up plus proofs

2x2 cardboard holders - Usually smaller, cheaper coins. Ideal for my $5 and under junk box at shows.

Raw coins usually displayed in display case 2 at shows in 20 coin pages stacked which go in binder. Presently collector coins and raw nice bullion ASE or world bullion. Coins in pages can range from $1 to $60. Display case 2 also displays graded currency, slabs under $100, raw world currency in stacks $3 - $120. Case 1 higher priced slabbed coins around 100 pieces - Varsity.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate flips. Do you like scratches?

2x2 cardboard all the way. Only a dork would scratch a coin with a staple so that is not part of the consideration.

• Options
    matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t use any of the ones above. I’m fancy and only have slabs!

@blitzdude said:

I do posses some slabs (less than 1000) and usually leave as such unless they have the nasty then I crack and dip to make them right again.

Ha ha ha! What is the nasty?

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 11:01AM

@Kliao said:

@oih82w8 said:

How do you heat seal them?

This works nicely with Saflips.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the cardboard flips then as a back up the plastic ones

• Options

@johnny9434 said:
    I use the cardboard flips then as a back up the plastic ones

Do you trim the 2x2? Or how do you het it to fit?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend not to mess with it none to much. about the only thing I do with the flips is flatten the staples so not to scratch any thing, fwiw

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

saflips only

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

Those BCW flips are awful. They contain PVC. I really recommend that if you intend to store coins in flips for anymore than a few weeks to just buy Saflips.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

it seems that the word "archival" would never be used with the stapled cardboard/mylar flips. that should mean something, but judging by the Poll it doesn't.

interesting.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2019 1:32PM

@OwenSeymour said:
    Those BCW flips are awful. They contain PVC. I really recommend that if you intend to store coins in flips for anymore than a few weeks to just buy Saflips.

Really? I have most of my coins in them. They said that they contained no PVC!

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I hate flips. Do you like scratches?

2x2 cardboard all the way. Only a dork would scratch a coin with a staple so that is not part of the consideration.

There have been dorks around for many years. I committed to a coin many years ago, and the dork dealer scratched it with a staple before I paid for it. The coin was in a flip with a staple at the top. In those pre-slab days, dealers frequently stirred their inventory that way.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CCGGGCCGGG Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 2:24PM

Couldn't vote since no poll options really fit. For raw coins, ~20% flips, ~30% cardboard, ~50% folders/albums.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I use plastic flips because they are easier - no staples.

They can be much safer if you use a heat seal.

Has anyone studied what the air is like in the sealed part? I know it can be bad in those with PVC. As a consignor long ago, I've had coins that started to haze by the time I saw them at lot viewing.

Just recently acquired some raw at a major auction that looked OK but smelled terrible like the shower curtain PVC. They now have to be acetone rinsed. Have found that to be the case on many raw sealed lots for decades, so I don't think they all had the problem before being heat sealed. Have tried heat sealing long ago and from the smell on the outside you knew it was trapped on the inside also.

As far as non-PVC and heat sealing, I haven't seen any thing studied. Still, just would not trust that long term without proof of safety.

As far as preferred holders I like both cardboard 2x2's, as long as dust is cleaned off the inside, and PVC-free flips.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cardboard holders for me... and careful with the staples.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@blitzdude said:

I like that! By the way.....where's the back 40?

Gods country! Semper Fi!!!

• Options

@matt_dac said:

@blitzdude said:

Ha ha ha! What is the nasty?

Any toning on silver or gold. Disgusting, oh it makes me want to vomit.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2019 7:07PM

The Collector might not like staples for any number of reasons but I have never seen a staple attack a coin of its own accord. There is a proper way to install staples around a coin in a 2x2 and there is a proper way to remove them that is safe.

I use Saflips and cardboard 2x2's. Properly heat sealing a Saflip makes it both air tight and waterproof. I'm not crazy about Saflips for the reason they easily scratch.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the cardboard ones that stick together without staples.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    I use the cardboard ones that stick together without staples.

There are ones that don’t need staples?

• Options
    OwenSeymourOwenSeymour Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@OwenSeymour said:

Really? I have most of my coins in them. They said that they contained no PVC!

Yeah, funny story about that. About four years ago I had some very nice Gem Franklins in them. After a few months of storage they were covered in PVC, and ruined. Even after acetone they looked awful. I called BCW and they informed me that the cover of the package was misleading, and that they did indeed contain PVC. No "sorry". Lol

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t use any of the ones above. I’m fancy and only have slabs!

My vote was in jest. :D I use both.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use plastic, cardboard, and tubes. Lately, it seems I've been taking more and more out of cardboard flips and putting them in albums or in a tube. When packaging and shipping, it's typically heat sealed plastic (no pvc) . Because houses for coins are temporary ( with exceptions).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file