Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question on "No Spec Info"

Five cards in one of my submissions got dinged in R&ID for "No Spec Info" Three of them were not a surprise since I had provided a link to an outside source for the checklist and was unable to find others in the sets that had been graded previously. The other two rejected that are part of sets where other cards in the set have been previously been graded by PSA.

Anyone have experience with this scenario? Would it be appropriate for me to call PSA directly to discuss?

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

Happened to me. It just comes down to laziness on their part. One of my cards came back with no spec while on the same sub I had other cards for that same set that got graded. I didn't catch it but sent it off in a following sub and it got graded. Call them.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

What were the cards?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:
    Happened to me. It just comes down to laziness on their part. One of my cards came back with no spec while on the same sub I had other cards for that same set that got graded. I didn't catch it but sent it off in a following sub and it got graded. Call them.

Call who? The regular rep on the customer service or who can you have a constructive call with that handles grading aspects?

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:
    It just comes down to laziness on their part.

That's an awfully bold statement considering how little you know of the situation. The amount of research that goes on would blow your mind. All of the rare vintage that has been produced over the years, in addition to the thousands of sets from all different genres that are issued each year... Those people have a ton of work on their plates and i can assure you they are not lazy.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2019 1:00PM

I prefer consuming Mich Ultra and opening cards up over being lazy any day of the week.

• Options

@AFLfan said:

EagleEyeKid said:

That's an awfully bold statement considering how little you know of the situation. The amount of research that goes on would blow your mind. All of the rare vintage that has been produced over the years, in addition to the thousands of sets from all different genres that are issued each year... Those people have a ton of work on their plates and i can assure you they are not lazy.

Exactly correct Todd. I have had some "issues" with PSA as I added quite a few cards to the Killebrew Master set over the years. I did not always agree with the decisions, but I wouldn't accuse anyone of "laziness".

To the OP;

If you actually expect a good answer, your going to need to be a little more specific. Outside sources must be "legitimate" publications and even then PSA might disagree.

For example; I sent in a Killebrew Washington Senators Team Issue 4x5 for grading and possible future addition to the Master set. The "Big Book" listed the set and year (1958?) as the chcklist being incomplete and possibly having additional players. In my opinion, Killebrew would have been in the set because he was a hot new young player. Since he was not listed, my request was denied. Frustrating, but understandable.

You stated that "other cards in the set have been previously been graded by PSA" in that case (since you didn't tell us what they were) you may need to call PSA for an answer, sometimes they decide to quit grading certain issues, sometimes they make mistakes, especially if you are submitting obscure(?) cards.

Cossetta and Gayle (hope I spelled their names correctly) have always been very helpful when I have contacted them NEVER lazy!

Good luck with your submissions in the future.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    _EagleEyeKid__EagleEyeKid_ Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

EagleEyeKid said:

So Todd, I sent 4 cards from the 2016 Ultimate Collection hockey set. 3 of those cards had spec numbers and one did not, and the card number itself was 2 or 3 away from each other. So the one that didn't have a spec number was just never graded before. Oversight or laziness? I choose the latter. Granted I didn't get charged, and sent the no spec again and it got graded. A population of 1 now.

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

For some reason, I can't post. Says my response needs to be approved.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

EagleEyeKid said:

@AFLfan said:

EagleEyeKid said:

So Todd, I sent 4 cards from the 2016 Ultimate Collection hockey set. 3 of those cards had spec numbers and one did not, and the card number itself was 2 or 3 away from each other. So the one that didn't have a spec number was just never graded before. Oversight or laziness? I choose the latter. Granted I didn't get charged, and sent the no spec again and it got graded. A population of 1 now.

I cannot provide an answer to your specific situation for many reasons - I don't collect hockey and am unfamiliar with the set, I did not see your submission, I don't work in that department, etc. But there are likely possibilities that are neither oversight or laziness.

One possibility is that in dealing with newer cards especially, the exact and appropriate title of a card is important. Switching around the order of just a couple of words can result in completely different identification experiences. It may be that the manner in which you listed the set on your submission form did not make immediate sense and caused the spec number not to be found. I'm just spit-balling with that idea, but it is certainly possible. I know that I have personally researched some modern cards that were given to me with names out of order and I looked for a long time to find them. Then when I realized the order of words in the title was incorrect, I was able to find the item very quickly.

Like I said, I do not know exactly why your cards were not initially graded. But what I can say is that it wasn't laziness.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

Looks like there's 10 different 2016 "Ultimate" hockey sets. Could that be a part of the problem?

Also, I don't know the exact process, but your cards may have been looked at by more than 2 different graders, so the grader may not have been able to find the card with no spec number.

Sounds like the card should have been graded the first time, but people do make mistakes. I have gotten cards rejected for being miscut and sent them in again and they got a grade. Stuff happens.

In the end it got graded and you have a pop 1.

• Options
    CoarsegoldCoarsegold Posts: 132 ✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:

EagleEyeKid said:

Cards have become so complicated. Things where so much easier pre-1981.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

Whenever I send a card in that PSA hasn't been graded yet, I always provide all of the background info. that's available. Pictures, links, scans from the Standard Catalogs, etc. It's usually overkill. Still, I've still had many cards returned No Spec Info. It's very frustrating. I've sent a few of them in again and they've been slabbed the second time around, so that's an option.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will chime in to add this:

If you are the impatient type, and there’s never been one graded and no spec, send it alone. It will likely save you some heartache and definitely save you time.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

I think it’s laziness. I’ve had many instances where I gathered information, got checklists published online, sent scans of the front and back and scans of albums..... basically did all of the research and spoon fed it to their specs department. I get an email confirmation that it’s approved for grading. I print the approval email and all of the back up and attach it to the order form.... even write “see attached please call if you need any further information “ on the order form next to the line item in question. Even after all of that I still get n9. Usually I catch it in time and call to have them hold the order.. then magically it’s graded in a day. I’ve probably gotten 15-25 sets approved for grading. It’s frustrating but I used to really enjoy it.

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

AFLfan - If the submitter knows ahead of time the card is likely to be troublesome for PSA, couldn't we have a system to flag it for special attention and maybe even a scheduled callback for a spec conversation? Doesn't seem unreasonable to add some protocol/webform for that situation, especially since it would help all involved. Even if this cost me an extra buck or two, I'd probably pay it for the added convenience.

• Options

Wanted to update this thread.

I spoke with a customer service rep at PSA. The rep placed the order on ship hold and has promised to talk with the R&ID group after the order is ready to be shipped in order to possibly get the "No Spec Info" cards graded.

Currently, the balance of the order minus the "No Spec Info" cards have made it through grading and are awaiting Assembly. I'll update as the order proceeds.

Thanks,

Jason

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

I spoke with Steve Sloan directly about several peoples "observations" . Here's what he said

""" The reality is that we are just incredibly oversubscribed with demand, and so the queues are excessive. We’re adding training for efficiency and adding more staff to catch up. We have conceptualized remote work for Research and need to build the system. This is on our roadmap currently """"

Believe they know about the headaches people are describing and are working towards fixes that at least make it quicker and more efficient. Change of course doesn't happen overnight- never does it as fast as we'd personally like it.

Will it ever work the way everyone on the planet wants ?
    Doubt it- too many roadblocks to perfect it. But should at the very least get smoother down the road.

Jason glad to hear they helped you out .

Jeff

• Options

Hello QA Check 1! My excitement builds!

• Options

A week or so in QA Check 2 so hopefully some news soon!

• Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    I spoke with Steve Sloan directly about several peoples "observations" . Here's what he said

""" The reality is that we are just incredibly oversubscribed with demand, and so the queues are excessive. We’re adding training for efficiency and adding more staff to catch up. We have conceptualized remote work for Research and need to build the system. This is on our roadmap currently """"

Believe they know about the headaches people are describing and are working towards fixes that at least make it quicker and more efficient. Change of course doesn't happen overnight- never does it as fast as we'd personally like it.

Doubt it- too many roadblocks to perfect it. But should at the very least get smoother down the road.

Jeff

What might be the most helpful would be to include some of the collectors as research assistance. PSA would probably only need to provide high resolution scans of the front and back of most cards and those that are major collectors of either a particular set or player would probably be able to help out with the few cards the in house research group are unsure of. Just a thought....you have customers that are experts in at least what the cards are...we might not be expert graders.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    AGBCWriterAGBCWriter Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November 12, 2019 9:57AM

@Coarsegold said:

Cards have become so complicated. Things where so much easier pre-1981.

Boy is that ever the truth. I find myself going to baseballcardpedia all the time to try and understand the variations and inserts in sets over the last 20 years. On some issues it becomes a deterrent to collecting. I can't figure out which card to buy. I've gotten to the point where I just go by aesthetics and hope I choose the card that gains value too.

America's Great Boxing Cards, Exhibit And Related Sports Arcade Cards...I wrote 'em.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

@eagles33 said:
    I think it’s laziness. I’ve had many instances where I gathered information, got checklists published online, sent scans of the front and back and scans of albums..... basically did all of the research and spoon fed it to their specs department. I get an email confirmation that it’s approved for grading. I print the approval email and all of the back up and attach it to the order form.... even write “see attached please call if you need any further information “ on the order form next to the line item in question. Even after all of that I still get n9. Usually I catch it in time and call to have them hold the order.. then magically it’s graded in a day. I’ve probably gotten 15-25 sets approved for grading. It’s frustrating but I used to really enjoy it.

Not only all of this. I live in Korea and travel to Japan when I have the time. I collect Korean and Japanese cards. I create and upload all Korean (and many Japanese) checklists for these sets to TCDB as well as uploading images if I have them. To my knowledge this is the only place they are "published." This includes brands Epoch, BBM, Bandai, Calbee and Konami. I was part of a sub that has already popped except for my 14 N9s (all Korean/Japanese). I linked 14 of the 17 N9s (that I added sets of on TCDB) in an email to my friend that he forwarded to PSA. Now they have a Japanese researcher looking into it when I have already done all the work.

• Options

Sub popped this morning so I emailed the cs rep who I spoke with at the end of October.

• Options

CS rep responded that she is awaiting "...authorization from management..." on the same day I let her know the sub popped. Not sure what the process is or how long it will take but am hopefully!

Regarding the four cards in questions, I can't figure out how to post links so I'm just going to post pictures.

The first card is from the 1947 Pepys Whist International card game set. PSA has graded other cards in the set so this one was a surprise.

The second card is from the 1950 Clifford Series and has not been previously graded by PSA so wasn't real surprised on the rejection.

The third card is from the 1950 Smashers Sport Photos series and, like it's predecessor in this thread, and has not been previously graded by PSA.

The fourth, and final, card rejected is from the 1953 A & J Donaldson Sport Favourites set. PSA has graded other cards in the set.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is that 2 of the 4 end up in slabs, but I sure hope they all do.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Been researching that last card above for another sub and I suspect I know why it is not graded. Looks like it might be difficult to correctly identify the set and year as it appears the same checklist was issued in multiple years.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

If you are the impatient type, and there’s never been one graded and no spec, send it alone. It will likely save you some heartache and definitely save you time.

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

so sending it alone helps ?

• Options

i have a lot of first time graded, (at least 15) you just need to be patient and its better you contact them before you send...

• Options

Thankfully I’m in no hurry at all. Curious though, why is calling in advance better than providing links and evidence in the submission itself?

• Options

@dad2cl3 said:
    Thankfully I’m in no hurry at all. Curious though, why is calling in advance better than providing links and evidence in the submission itself?

I’m not sure that it is.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Checked this morning and the five cards now have certs! Looks like all will be slabbed! Great Christmas present to me!

• Options

@dad2cl3 said:
    Checked this morning and the five cards now have certs! Looks like all will be slabbed! Great Christmas present to me!

Awesome!

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:

I don't understand. I have N9s with cert numbers.

• Options

The cert numbers on the order originally said No Spec Info... They now have a full description of the cards.

• Options

@skrezyna23 said:

@eagles33 said:

Not only all of this. I live in Korea and travel to Japan when I have the time. I collect Korean and Japanese cards. I create and upload all Korean (and many Japanese) checklists for these sets to TCDB as well as uploading images if I have them. To my knowledge this is the only place they are "published." This includes brands Epoch, BBM, Bandai, Calbee and Konami. I was part of a sub that has already popped except for my 14 N9s (all Korean/Japanese). I linked 14 of the 17 N9s (that I added sets of on TCDB) in an email to my friend that he forwarded to PSA. Now they have a Japanese researcher looking into it when I have already done all the work.

you have a japanese reasercher ? wow

• Options

@jradke4 said:

@jeffv96masters said:

Jeff

What might be the most helpful would be to include some of the collectors as research assistance. PSA would probably only need to provide high resolution scans of the front and back of most cards and those that are major collectors of either a particular set or player would probably be able to help out with the few cards the in house research group are unsure of. Just a thought....you have customers that are experts in at least what the cards are...we might not be expert graders.

i sent front and back
    front and back of the book of standar catalogue
    also the Becket online checklist
    and nada
    i will send again

• Options

@lawyer05 said:

you have a japanese reasercher ? wow

No. PSA apparently does.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

Is PSA going to recognize Bandai finally? It makes no sense for them not to.

@skrezyna23 said:

@eagles33 said:

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    Is PSA going to recognize Bandai finally? It makes no sense for them not to.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

They never did with some of the wrestling cards that are out there. Sometimes PSA chooses to grade baseball issues but will not for other sports.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options

I sent a Korean Pokemon card but it N9'd. The numbers vary slightly for the Korean sets so that may be why. Maybe if I created a checklist/images on TCDB it could help.

• Options

Called in to PSA this afternoon for an update because the order is on a Ship Hold. Wonderful CS rep told me the last five cards are graded, slabbed, and ready to ship and she plans to get the order through to shipping hopefully today! Patience wins!

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

Nice. Always great to see new sets getting slabbed for the first time

Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options

Grades popped this afternoon. Happy they've all been graded. The grade of 1 on the Clifford Series is likely due to the holes in the card. Unfortunately, the cards were packaged in stapled booklets. Not sure how to address that with PSA though. I'm definitely surprised by the 1 on the last card. Don't recall it being in that bad of shape but I haven't seen it since July so my memory is likely unreliable :-)

EXCELLENT 5 1947 Pepy's Game International Football 9 W.Woodburn
    VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1947 Pepy's Game International Football 9 W.Woodburn
    POOR 1 1950 Clifford Series First Edition 4 Willie Woodburn
    VERY GOOD+ 3.5 1950 M.M. Frame Sport Photos-"Smashers" 17 Willie Woodburn
    POOR 1 1953 A & J Donaldson Ltd. Sport Favourites 70 Willie Woodburn

• Options

Just went back to the reference for the A & J Donaldson card and those were also sold in booklets so staple holes are expected.