Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Would this forum make you want to collect coins?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Musing over the weekend.
We lament the loss of younger people coming into the hobby.
Thinking more on it, I got to wondering how our topics would excite non collectors. We drone on endlessly about differences in grading. Lots and lots of posts about counterfeits.
When I started collecting coins, I had seen .... SOME.... older coins in circulation.
However in addition to that, I got an osmosis type of interest in history. Even TV had references to such historic figures as Davy Crockett and all the western gunslingers.
In school we had textbooks in very early grades with stories of pioneer life and adventure.
I don't even know if they still print schoolbooks.
But....back to topic.
I was thinking of this forum and how FRESH eyes would see it.
We get spurious error posts constantly. I was thinking of having separate categories for errors and fakes.

However, how would the more experienced collectors take that? Grading is important if you're already into coin collecting.

Anyone have any ideas how the forum could be more interesting to brand spanking new collectors?

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say some are driven by history while most others are driven by treasure as in my case. So, posting more articles about both. I couldn't find the one I read a few years back about a kid who found $632,000 worth of old coins with a metal detector but, here is another instance.
    https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/delaware/2015/01/10/boy-finds-cache-greek-roman-coins/21562515/

• Options

Treasure is terrific for general interest. B)

• Options

From the moment I realized that the 1965 silver dime I had spent a few years earlier was a valuable error coin, I was hooked. Then anyone searching the internet will find Blue Ridge and Couch Collectibles which I watched quite a bit before finding this place. Sure, I'm still seeking the treasure but, have now grown an affinity for the hobby.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum (well, Datkside primarily) didn't get me to start collecting, but it definitely helped me evolve my collection over the last decade into what it is today and kept me excited about numismatics and the many directions I can take in the future.

• Options

I can see "broadened horizons" for almost all of us.
    What ...started... you @BryceM ?
    What was the spark that ignited your coin collecting?

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Market doom and gloom, sticker and plastic obsessions, rampant over grading, and a hobby full of chicanery... What's to love?

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum is the most educated in numismatics that I've seen online. I'd be interested in learning about others, if there are any.

There are a lot of people late into their collecting career that spend a lot of time laboring over market nuances, like CAC and things like that. We don't have a ton of discussion on some more common topics like moderns, and mint sets. As an early collector, I still enjoy and enjoyed reading some of the TPG discussions that I could necessarily appreciate yet.

Yes, we could always be better about promoting collecting as a passion and a hobby, and not some vehicle for investment and preservation of generational wealth.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 10:34AM

Market doom and gloom, sticker and plastic obsessions, rampant over grading, and a hobby full of chicanery... What's to love?

Well, reduced prices make it easier to collect, and if one can ignore stickers, plastic, grading, chicanery...there are coins to love.

In my "Great Worn Coins" thread I wrote "coin collecting should be enjoyed be all" in part because the forum is going more elitist, and many of those in the middle have left.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Focus the hobby on the right media and it will thrive. Instagram is a great universe in itself along with getting more content on YouTube. Forums and newsletters are looked upon as old outlets.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It further occurs to me, that if an individual were not interested in coins, they would have little motivation to look at this forum... except when they find parking lot coins... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

....> @Nysoto said:

Well, reduced prices make it easier to collect, and if one can ignore stickers, plastic, grading, chicanery...there are coins to love.

In my "Great Worn Coins" thread I wrote "coin collecting should be enjoyed be all" in part because the forum is going more elitist, and many of those in the middle have left.

Boy, did you say a mouthful.

• Options

@ricko said:
    It further occurs to me, that if an individual were not interested in coins, they would have little motivation to look at this forum... except when they find parking lot coins... ;) Cheers, RickO

Well, it's the top listing in a Google search of "Coin forums."
    I'd guess anyone even remotely thinking of coins would look it up like that.

• Options

@Bullet01 said:
    Focus the hobby on the right media and it will thrive. Instagram is a great universe in itself along with getting more content on YouTube. Forums and newsletters are looked upon as old outlets.

Hearing more and more about Instagram.
    Me, I'm scared of it. Don't trust social media all that much.
    Am I wrong? Is Instagram easy and do they have control settings?

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the hobby of Kings, a few of us paupers are here for entertainment purposes.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

To answer the question, “ Bookmark
    Would this forum make you want to collect coins?”

I don’t know.

Iwas interested in coins before I actively engaged into this forum. Previously, used the forum’s search function for research and read a lot.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf

I was collecting a bit here and there in my early teens - mostly modern US Mint stuff. I then disappeared into several decades of education and work. Eventually I got to a place where I had a bit of time and money and looked into silver. That led to a few handfuls of junk on eBay and a growing realization that it wasn't quality stuff.

I came to the Internet forum world as a member, then moderator, then administrator of an unrelated hobby forum..... So naturally when I got more interested in getting educated I found this place. That ignited an interest in historical coins and one thing led to another. Before long I was attending shows and snagging some pretty fun coins.

I've been around enough "coin people" to know a curmudgeon when I see one. Let's face it. This hobby doesn't attract entirely normal people. Introverts and antisocial types are pretty common. Unfortunately it also attracts a good number of crooks and shady characters. It takes a certain amount of resilience and toughness to hang around this forum very long. If you're easily offended or frequently take offense this probably isn't the place for you. If you can manage it, you will learn from some incredibly smart and experienced people. The vast majority of those who post here are thoughtful and encouraging.

As for the forum becoming elitist, I dunno. I don't see it. (Maybe you're talking about folks like me?) There's always been a huge amount of turnover here. It's part of the hobby.

I don't see as many set-building, goal-achieving posts as I once did. There don't seem to be as many people "having fun" with their coins. That's regrettable, but the current coin market is dragging down people's enthusiasm. The threads often get pretty deep into the nuances of grading and the market -- certainly these things aren't the soul of collecting.

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

There's a lot of competition if you want to capture the interest of young people today. Keep in mind that the majority of young people today don't go to the library or read books, they have the information highway on their phone. They can find virtually anything of interest in a few seconds versus a few hours.
    So all you have to do now is figure out what would make someone want to search for coins instead of online gaming, sports, concerts, dating sites...it goes on and on. My guess would be discussing long term profit potential from coins that the average 20 - 30 year old can afford.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 11:56AM

@topstuf said:

@Bullet01 said:

Toppy, look at my Instagram page, I am going all in.

There some exceptional coins on Instagram and a lot of junk just like everywhere.

Follow the best of what you collect.

It is very easy to use.

They do have control settings.

• Options
    Bullet01Bullet01 Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@Bullet01 said:

I don't know what's so scary about it. You sign up with pretty much the same info you do to register on this forum. Easy.

This hobby is 100% visual. Instagram is exactly that. Just search coins on it and you'll instantly feel like Neo booting into the Matrix for the first time. So many connections can be made and the right hash tags alone can create more likes, comments, awareness, and conversations to your content.

If a kid had any curiosity about coins or other collectables, finding it would be easy on Instagram. One picture is all it takes to be like "Holy shit, I never seen a coin like that. Who knew we produced cool stuff like this." Then he/ she would scroll endlessly and overtime head to these forums to gain more knowledge in the hobby.

Just my couple of cents on the matter as a 34 yr old.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

This forum is a great resource with lots of very smart people and people who have some truly knockout coins. However, the times are a'changing and there are other avenues to pique interest. Instagram has already been mentioned, but for me, the PCGS apps have really sparked my interest in building digital albums, which are a blast. I'm not chasing registry points at all, but would like to complete some sets over time.

The younger people are out there, but the mediums and styles of collecting are different. Talking down to them (dumping on their generation, conspiracy BS, passing cleaned as BU) won't get them in the door in this forum, coin clubs, shows or anywhere else.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be honest - this not my favorite coin forum for a whole bunch of reasons. It was the coin forum I came to because 1) I started buying PCGS coins and 2) that led me to do the registry thing.

That in itself ( slab collecting and registry participant) makes this site not a good place to discover if your a novice or just starting out and collecting raw coins. There are several denomination speciality sites which are more informative for a new collector to find and begin the journey and education.

This site has many times over the years been - shall we say- not welcoming, helpful nor friendly for some who have found it and and asked a basic question or just tried to jump in. I know it was not for me when I first got here and I have several collector friends who do the registry thing And were active at one time but now prefer not to interact on thIs forum.

So back to your question - does this site want to make you collect coins. It helps me collect coins, it expands my knowledge, I get a lot from those that know. But the ratio of those who discover this site- and stay seems not to make others want to hang around and collect coins.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know, stupid question here..................can you do instagram on a laptop ??

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 12:52PM

Yes it would.

But I would want go in my own direction compatible to my strategy and budget.

New collector in coin club working on a nice slabbed coin by country and target is gold and silver coins preferably w low pop. No more than 4 coins by country and must be no more than $400 each. She was real excited about a 2016 Women’s Right to vote commem Dollar PCGS 67 she got off eBay for $13.50

Her other target is PMG graded USA NBN VF or better and PMG World Currency ideally CU65-67.

She does not care about registry or CAC.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    I know, stupid question here..................can you do instagram on a laptop ??

Yes you can! While on a PC, click on my sig line to view my Instagram profile. I've never tried to add pics from a desktop or PC though.

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 12:57PM

BryceM:

As for the forum becoming elitist, I dunno. I don't see it. (Maybe you're talking about folks like me?)

Or, I could be talking about myself, as I collect mostly 1794-1807 US - although many of my coins could be considered dreck from wannabe dealers :o

It is nice to have the best coins posted here. It is the loss of those who collect in the mid-range, the circulated sets, the researchers, who provided a lot of interest and fun here - which does benefit PCGS.

This says it for me:

I don't see as many set-building, goal-achieving posts as I once did. There don't seem to be as many people "having fun" with their coins.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options

@1630Boston said:

You could probably do it while flying, lol.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this board is fine as is and I've learned a lot here in my 10+ years visiting. I don't think this board has to be all things for all people. I think CoinTalk is likely the right place for newish collectors and by going there at this stage of their learning curve will be more gratifying.

One could call this view elitist (and I don't consider my collection or numismatic knowledge to be elite), but I would rather see more threads that interest me rather than debating parking lot finds, harshly cleaned coins, or other types of arm wrestling with people who don't want to have the feedback. Nothing wrong with lurking either if one doesn't have much to say.

As for an area that we could improve upon as forum members, I would wish that we not take ourselves so seriously and not be so quick to take offense. Perhaps that is reflective of our outrage culture these days.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like to think so as there is a true wealth of good information on this forum, especially if you include the archived posts and threads.

When we respond to newer members, maybe we should have that exact question in mind.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 2:09PM

Good topic. I’ve often thought that our obsession with grading and quality is bad for the hobby.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019 9:20AM

There was a great thread in 2016 about favorite purchases under $50. That was the thread that got me to join and post here. Now I wasn't a new collector at the time but I would imagine threads similar to that one would be well received by new collectors or collectors with limits on their coin collecting funds.
    I think I'm going to go find that thread and bump it. :)
    -Couldn't find it :/

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 5:08PM

I think it's a great and very diverse bunch of people here and the conversations are generally fascinating. There's a lot of negativity and this place is hard on newbies and the uneducated. But, yes, I'm pretty sure that I'd still be interested in collecting and could even become interested by reading the forum.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I got more and more into collecting it became apparent that the different coin forums all had their unique nuances. Yes, this forum made me want to collect, and it still does.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    In the hobby of Kings, a few of us paupers are here for entertainment purposes.

is it going in the same direction as the "sport of kings?"

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always find these discussions about the forum itself interesting.

Even before I was into coins, I knew that online forums usually held a treasure trove of answers. So when I started my numismatic journey , if I had a question I would type it in to Google or whatever but also make sure to include the word "forum". It was through this process that I was familiarized with the nuances and subtle differences between all of the different coin forums.

CU stuck out to me as very unique amongst the crowd.

There are a lot of great numismatic minds at the other forums too. I am on CCF and can promise you that it is filled with many experts on various topics. I have fun there. But it is intentionally different. I respect and appreciate it for what it is. I also have one or two accounts elsewhere as well.

But when it gets down to the nitty gritty...
    these boards are like an online numismatic think-tank. It is not replicated anywhere else and I am proud to be a small part of it.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019 10:49PM

@MrEureka said:
    Good topic. I’ve often thought that our obsession with grading and quality is bad for the hobby.

I think this forum gears collectors towards coins that stand out hence the focus on grades, condition and great photos.

There are many other forums that don't necessarily have this focus so I assume people will end up where they are comfortable.

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

Nope. Young people would be turned off. All you all old people are a click, an old club. New ideas get blasted. People not indoctrinated in "old" ways get blasted.

It's not a fun place to be for us younger people. but some of us stay anyway to learn as much as we can.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think this forum would turn a non collector into a collector. I feel it’s geared more towards people who already have the bug and have begun to research their hobby. This forum has a boatload of knowledge and is a great asset to have while collecting.... but does it get new people to collect. I doubt it

What can be done to change that is the million dollar question. Not sure.... maybe promote the forum on various social media sites, Promote coin shows in surrounding town, PCGS could try to set up new clubs for elementary and middle schools which inevitably lead to some new interest in young kids heads. Maybe offer a mentor program with willing and able forum members and connect them with a newer member? I could be way off but that’s what I’m thinking....

• Options

@Zoins

I agree, and I don't see the problem with the focus on grading etc. After all that's what it boils down too and the industry commands it. If I just wanted to fill an album w/ circulated coins I wouldn't waste my time here. I'm sure there are plenty of other sites for the millennial circus rides who get butt hurt too easily. My take away: Just keep your hands inside the cage until you learn how to pet the sharks properly otherwise...

• Options

@CoinscratchFever said:
    @Zoins

I agree, and I don't see the problem with the focus on grading etc. After all that's what it boils down too and the industry commands it. If I just wanted to fill an album w/ circulated coins I wouldn't waste my time here. I'm sure there are plenty of other sites for the millennial circus rides who get butt hurt too easily. My take away: Just keep your hands inside the cage until you learn how to pet the sharks properly otherwise...

OO-rah! :D

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman...."This forum has driven me to drink more." Yep... That is the good part... and why I am here every day.... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    selling3selling3 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2021 8:44PM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file