Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What’s your “go-to” solvent when acetone doesn’t work?

DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a collection of WLHs in a Whitman folder. I looked at the better dates 1938-D 1921-S and the early coins in book 1. I didn’t look at the back of every coin. (Insert lesson learned).
Four coins ended up being glued very well into their holes. Acetone had zero affect after several days.
I think it may be an epoxy resin.
What would you try next? Before the wire brush.
I’m sure they’re ruined, but I’d like them to be a little cleaner for the junk pile.

Comments

• Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh my goodness. That’s horrible!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 3:15PM

I would just scrap them. Not worth the cost of the solvent for common date circ.

You can try hexanes if you want to experiment.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 3:20PM

Paint remover, turpentine, mineral spirits...Great practice coins. Wish I had them. Keep playing and NO SCRUBBING. Let us know what worked. I'm 100% sure some of us here could take that stuff off.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 3:58PM

Xylene may work. But if it does, your probably going to have ugly, mottled toning.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

EZest will work but you probably won't like the looks of the coin when your done.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you send the '42 to me, I will try some of my methods....(I like that date, and would work to ensure the coin is not damaged)....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

A propane torch might work, and you might get a colorful, artificially toned half as a bonus. ;)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

toulene
    2-Butoxyethanol

• Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

goo gone

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that is worse than the tape I used to use to keep coins from falling out. I like the freeze and heat idea. Liquid Nitrogen might be a little extreme though.

• Options

@MrScience said:
    Try immersing them in liquid nitrogen - the stresses caused by differential contraction between the glue and the metal may cause the glue to delaminate....

This will sometimes work at higher temperatures than liquid nitrogen. You can safely cycle heat and cold using a regular freezer first. May not be a big enough temperature change, but most people don't have access to liquid nitrogen.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Why Were they glued to the book?

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    Wow! Why Were they glued to the book?

They were probably loose in the album and were falling out.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some on internet say to boil them to try to get the glue softer and then see if most of it will come off with a fingernail rubber/plastic scraper. Then the remaining residue try fingernail polish remover, or other solvents mentioned above.

Aircraft paint stripper (methylene chloride) might work. Supposedly it does not hurt most metal including sterling , but I used this on a 90 year old car frame and it is powerful stuff and will burn if you do not wear gloves. There is a water based version that washes off better.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrScience said:
    Try immersing them in liquid nitrogen - the stresses caused by differential contraction between the glue and the metal may cause the glue to delaminate....

This is a good idea. If you don’t have liquid nitrogen handy...

Put them in the freezer for awhile then drop them in very hot water.

Something will happen...

Caution: Beware of splash back.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:
    EZest will work but you probably won't like the looks of the coin when your done.

Don't think it will affect the coating.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Electrolysis.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dry ice may help to super cool enough for the glue to crack. ( Use caution & gloves! )

A soak in lacquer thinner might work also. ( Use caution! Very flammable & strong fumes )

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't use Acetone. I use Methylene chloride. Period.

thefinn
  • Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

If I have to go a bit harder, I will typically use xylenes. Beyond that, MEK and others can be amazing, but the health risks increase, and do you really want to shave off some life expectancy for common silver? Also, some mechanical work, such as attempting to freeze off the material, might be a good first pass. Any sort of large glob of glue will take a while for a solvent to work through and simply breaking it off can be faster.

PS: since most people don't have a fume hood, make sure to use organic solvents only in places with plenty of air circulation, preferably outside. Read the SDS or other safety instructions before using any unfamiliar solvents.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Trichlorotrifluoroethane but its hard to find anymore

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

That one is known to deplete ozone from the atmosphere. Please don't use it.

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrScience said:

That's an interesting concept. I wonder if using this idea he could take a can of computer keyboard duster and turn it upside down so it releases the freezing liquid contents directly onto the glue? Aren't the contents nitrogen or something similar?

Use gloves and eye protection!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Previously owned by a Rocket Scientist who adhered them for space travel?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

You will all laugh but. WD-40.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not suggesting that you use it, but I would use Carbon Tetrachloride.
    (Atmosphere: Nitrogen-78%, Oxygen-21%, Argon-0.93%, Neon-0.00182%, Methane-0.00015%, Krypton-0.00014%, Hydrogen-0.00005%,...)

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:
    You will all laugh but. WD-40.

And then pull off with duck tape? ;)

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

@MrScience said:

That's an interesting concept. I wonder if using this idea he could take a can of computer keyboard duster and turn it upside down so it releases the freezing liquid contents directly onto the glue? Aren't the contents nitrogen or something similar?

1,1-difluoroethane refrigerant (R152a).

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

50% ammonia

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ccmorganccmorgan Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Warm them gently with a propane torch 150-200*F and gently higher if needed. At those temps the coins will not tarnish and the adhesive should peel off.

Love the 1885-CC Morgan
  • Options

@ms70 said:

@MrScience said:

Use gloves and eye protection!

The liquid in a duster is at ROOM TEMPERATURE. The can gets cold due to expansion of the liquid to a gas during ejection. Same principle as a refrigerator or air conditioner. You'd be better off just throwing it in a freezer, I would think.

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@georgiacop50 said:

Agree. But I gave trying to get it, hard to find.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

toulene
    2-Butoxyethanol
    - these are worth a shot

xylene, in lieu of toluene

if acetone didn't work, MEK probably won't either

Trichlorotrifluoroethane - worth a shot

turpentine

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    philographerphilographer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, after all these recommendations, sounds like you’ll need to get a hazmat truck over over to your house when you’re done!

He who knows he has enough is rich.

• Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 5, 2019 8:32AM

Lots of compounds suggested here. I know the basics of chemistry but I’m getting a bit lost. When we want to go a step beyond acetone, what are we looking for in a chemical?:

— less polarity? Even to the point of being insoluble or immiscible in water?

— higher molecular weight?

— specialized “stripping” or “degreasing” properties? Surfactants?

Here’s a straightforward source that kinda ranks several of the chemicals mentioned here, and the stripping/degreasing actions:

https://www.ehow.com/list_6868703_relative-cleaning-strengths-solvents.html

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file