Home U.S. Coin Forum

ReadyFireAim Got a CAC on a Saint! Congratulations!!!!

winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see from a post reply in another thread that @ReadyFireAim received a CAC on one of the Saints he submitted. Congratulations! I'm happy for you. I know the following:

1. As of several months ago, you never would have thought that you'd ever submit coins to CAC.
  2. I understand that you're disappointed that more of your lovely Saints did not CAC.
  3. Your 1923-D PCGS MS66 Saint that did CAC was your least favorite of your Saints.
  4. The increase in market value for the one that did CAC is now about $1,000 - $1,500 higher than that same coin without the CAC, so you're well ahead financially regarding all of the $14.50 submission fees you paid. No need for anyone to debate this comment about the increase in market value, as I readily admit that MANY people will not pay that increase in price on a Saint in that grade with a CAC, and that's OK, but there's no doubt that many people will indeed pay that higher price, and there's no doubt in my mind that you (or your heirs) can sell that MS66 Saint with a CAC very quickly and profitably.

Have you completed submitting all of your Saints that you intend to submit?

Again, congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Comments

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the original thread gone? I was anxious to see the results, but can't find it.

Many posted their favorites out of the group that was submitted. I was hoping to test my preference vs CAC. Trueviews were nice and made it easier.

Congrats RFA

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 2:53PM

@Pedzola said:
    Is the original thread gone? I was anxious to see the results, but can't find it.

Many posted their favorites out of the group that was submitted. I was hoping to test my preference vs CAC. Trueviews were nice and made it easier.

Congrats RFA

In that original thread, I believe @ReadyFireAim only submitted his five Saints with the highest dates, and unfortunately, none of those stickered. He indicated his original plan was to have a couple of more submissions by date groups, but I don’t know what he ended up actually submitting. As noted in my OP, I read one of his replies in a post that his 1923-D MS66 did indeed sticker, and this was his only success, but he did not say if he submitted all, or just some of his remaining Saints.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Concerning point number 4
    If ready aim fire isn’t a dealer he will only pay the $14.50 on the coin that received a CAC sticker. Plus shipping etc. of course. If he’s a dealer of course it’s a different story.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 2:48PM

In that original thread, I believe @ReadyFireAim only submitted his five Saints with the highest dates, and unfortunately, none of those stickered

Nailed it

• OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    I just don’t think he understands what JA is looking for in a 66. The reason I said none would sticker was that the nicer ones all had shiny high points...not what JA wants in a 66.

Perhaps, all coins with shiny high points are really AU58? Or is JA a different grading standard than the ANA Standard? Why can we not have a common grading standard?

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 11:40PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    I just don’t think he understands what JA is looking for in a 66. The reason I said none would sticker was that the nicer ones all had shiny high points...not what JA wants in a 66.

I'm withholding judgement until after the 2nd submission.
    I just sent the following!

The 23-D was a bean-cross-NGC @ 66 so I'm just doing a re-sticker
    The 20 was a recon/bean at 64 that did + (not sending it in for a sticker because it is a keeper)

All above are MS65
    But yes...ZERO for five on the first MS66 submission.
    No comment yet.

Click my sig for high rez pics

@No Headlights said:
    If ready aim fire isn’t a dealer he will only pay the $14.50 on the coin that received a CAC sticker. Plus shipping etc. of course. If he’s a dealer of course it’s a different story.

CAC cashed my check for $92.50 and refunded $0.00
    100% failure

edited September 20, 2019 12:55AM

@ReadyFireAim, if your 1920 Saint was originally graded MS64 and had a CAC, and you then sent it back to PCGS for Reconsideration and it was upgraded by PCGS to MS64+, then you should send it back to CAC using a separate submission form for Re-apply with just a $3 fee, and they’ll AUTOMATICALLY reapply the sticker (without having to “requalify” for the bean) since the Cert Number should have remained the same in the Reconsideration process.

Edited: Good news! I just looked at your beautiful set, and the Cert Number for your 1920 MS64+ indeed has remained unchanged and IS currently in CAC’s system as having a CAC. As such, just do as suggested in the prior paragraph, and with NO qualification risk, they’ll automatically reapply the sticker.

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@No Headlights said:

100% failure

Call them. Ask for your credit balance. I’m certain you’ll find you have a credit balance. They only charge for coins that sticker unless you’re a dealer. Good luck with this batch.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:
    In that original thread, I believe @ReadyFireAim only submitted his five Saints with the highest dates, and unfortunately, none of those stickered

Nailed it

Unfortunately I did as well.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Your 65's posted above are nicer than most of the 66's I've been looking at lately. Your 1916-S is my favorite of the group.

• ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:

@No Headlights said:

100% failure

On my last two submissions, I too have not been refunded for my coins which didn't sticker. Both times one coin did not sticker. We'll see what happens the third time around.

Congrats on getting a CAC, I like these stickers.

• ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

@ReadyFireAim said:

@No Headlights said:

100% failure

On my last two submissions, I too have not been refunded for my coins which didn't sticker. Both times one coin did not sticker. We'll see what happens the third time around.

Congrats on getting a CAC, I like these stickers.

That is because they give you an account credit and their invoice shows exactly what you're charged for. It make sense if you submit regularly, but if you submit 1-2 times a year it doesn't make sense to leave your money (account credit) with CAC. If you don't use your account credit up quickly they will send you a check for the outstanding amount.

@ReadyFireAim will get a check in the mail from CAC if he doesn't submit more coins to them in the near future. Otherwise, he can send in coins with no check and the credit on his account will be used...

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, Saints are not my strong suit. But given that CAC is so influential in the series, is there any spread between PCGS CAC and NGC CAC at a given grade level? Or is the sticker really what matters in terms of premium?

@scubafuel said:
    First, Saints are not my strong suit. But given that CAC is so influential in the series, is there any spread between PCGS CAC and NGC CAC at a given grade level? Or is the sticker really what matters in terms of premium?

While I have not done an analysis, as a BROAD generalization with PLENTY of exceptions, market values tend to increase in the following order (I truly hope this does not start one of the "much TOO often" debates that will cause our hosts to shut down/remove this post): NGC no CAC; PCGS no CAC; NGC with CAC; PCGS with CAC. Oh boy!

• joebb21joebb21 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS and CAC commands a higher price than ngc and cac. The market just views pcgs as tougher in general.

That said, the cac stickered saint market vs not stickered is huge too. I would pay around $2000 for a non stickered coin I was ok with and offer $3500 for a cac'd 1923-d in ms66

may the fonz be with you...always...

Great learning opportunity would be to study pics of CAC saints and compare them to yours. I see one maybe from the above group.

edited September 20, 2019 5:16PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    Great learning opportunity would be to study pics of CAC saints and compare them to yours. I see one maybe from the >above group.

Here is a collection of CAC saints.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932/publishedset/183666
    What do you think?
    CAC 1925 MS66

My reject 1925 MS66

CAC 1926 MS66

My reject 1926 MS66

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Saints FWIW

I like the look of your coins better in both cases. First thing I look at on Saints is the rays. Banged up rays ruin the flow for me.

• SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats on getting a CAC sticker on your 66 Saint. CAC 66 Saints are truly stunning coins....it’s a very high standard. Non CAC 66 are probably the most overgraded coins out there. I’ve seen piles of them.

I’ve probably bought more 66 CAC than most - I really enjoy handling them.

Wait until you see a 67 CAC Saint - a whole new balllgame.

Collecting since 1976.
    edited September 21, 2019 12:10PM

This is what my MS66 1923-D looked like when I bought it.
    The picture was pretty good but not great.
    I paid the CAC tax & trusted the sticker.
    When I got it, I was a bit disappointed.
    3 heavy bag marks on the eagle and 3 on Liberty's left shin. (and some little ticks)
    I kept it anyway and now I'm just sending it back to have the sticker put on the new holder.

Here is a TrueView (click pic to enlarge)

Not saying they are bad.
    I think people are putting way too much faith in the bean.

Well said

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well said Seth. You literally have to look at thousands of Saints in auction boxes to appreciate the differences with in the grade. JA has seen zillions and he liked what he likes and the market hasn’t spoken with their wallets

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited September 22, 2019 4:10AM

@Justacommeman said:
    JA has seen zillions and he liked what he likes and the market hasn’t spoken with their wallets

I have 18 saints and only 2 have beans.
    This is the other one. (1920 64+)
    Both have huge luster & noticeably more than the others.

My dirty gold/toners might not be the thing JA likes.

edited October 8, 2019 12:07PM

I got a sticker!....
    Well...Sort of :D

None of the other 8 CAC failures came with any explanation.
    Still looking for the PVC.
    (Pics of submitted coins in the 10th post above)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file