Home Sports Talk
Options

Eli benched

Is this the end for Eli Manning? Daniel Jones looked good in preseason (did I mention it was preseason). Will never forget how this guy lead two 4th quarter drives (each with phenomenal catches) to beat the Pats in SB’s. He’s had some rough moments lately, but still will be remembered as a QB who shined when it counted.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will always remember Eli as the luckiest QB ever. Good riddance

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I agree. If that Giants played that undefeated Pat's team 10 time's......the Pat's would win 9 of them. Pure luck that the Giant's won that SB.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

I agree. If that Giants played that undefeated Pat's team 10 time's......the Pat's would win 9 of them. Pure luck that the Giant's won that SB.

To be clear I’m not taking away anything from the Giants though. They were a solid team and won fair and square, I won’t go down this rabbit hole. NE has had their fair share of luck as well

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

I figured this move was coming after last week's loss to the Bills. They're tired of losing games, and the fans weren't to happy about losing at home last week.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

To be clear I’m not taking away anything from the Giants though. They were a solid team and won fair and square, I won’t go down this rabbit hole. NE has had their fair share of luck as well

Classy post.

I was never an "Eli guy" but he played well in his biggest games, so did the rest of his team.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Wasn't my buddy RANDY MOSS on that undefeated team? That alone guarantees a choke. Bench Moss and they have a better chance. Welker had a good game, Randy.........not so much. Both teams scored on their first possession and the Giants scored twice in the fourth quarter while NE only scored once. Don't really see a lucky win.

Pats were 0-2 against the Manning led Giants in the SB, so I'll say the facts support the Patriots going 0-10 not 9-1.

Hypothetically my Vikings are 3-1 in Super Bowl play, only losing to the Dolphins. Let's not even talk about the NFC championship games they lost! Atlanta, New Orleans, Seattle...........all wins.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Maybe if the Tuck rule game goes different the Patriots never win a SB?

J/k! LOL

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Giants never really had a chance for the Super Bowl before this season began. Now that they are 0-2 their chances are even worse than no chance.

So might as well put the kid in there and see what he can do. Yes, it may be canon fodder right now, but at least the kid will get experience for the future.

• Options

@stevek said:
    The Giants never really had a chance for the Super Bowl before this season began. Now that they are 0-2 their chances are even worse than no chance.

So might as well put the kid in there and see what he can do. Yes, it may be canon fodder right now, but at least the kid will get experience for the future.

And it blows my mind that Miami is still letting Ryan aka “Mr.September” Fitzpatrick run the O, they should put Rosen in permanently to see if he can be an NFL QB

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Giants fan, it’s a little too early for my tastes. I understand that from many perspectives it is the right move. Still, I’ll say that I don’t think the Giants thought this particular move out all the way. There are scenarios where this could be really, really bad for the Giants. And with the way Geddleman operates (he seems to be very sharp but vindictive), I could see a scenario or two where we’d see some karma from the universe that leads our smug GM getting his comeuppance.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

I get the need to show the guy some respect but the last time the Giants were over .500 during the season was Week 17 in 2016,how much worse can it get? They've started 1-8, 1-7 & 0-2(tbd) during that stretch. What exactly is he giving the Giants that they can't get from some younger cheaper QB? His 16yrs of experience really isn't making much of a difference in the only stat that matters,Wins.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

He should have taken a hint from his brother and left on a high note, surely he didn't need the money, nor the ongoing tackles. You only need one good bell ringer to never be normal again!! Exactly why Gronk left the game, a mega millionaire, still very young and appears to be healthy. Goofy as he may be, I think Gronk did it right...although I miss his play.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    I get the need to show the guy some respect but the last time the Giants were over .500 during the season was Week 17 in 2016,how much worse can it get? They've started 1-8, 1-7 & 0-2(tbd) during that stretch. What exactly is he giving the Giants that they can't get from some younger cheaper QB? His 16yrs of experience really isn't making much of a difference in the only stat that matters,Wins.

You can thank a dumb ass front office for ruining a once excellent offensive line. I don’t think I’ve seen worse lines than the Giants of the last 5 years ever.

Thanks for everything Eli. Thanks for beating Brady and Belichick TWICE and for derailing their almost perfect season. As a final act of total class Eli says no way to waiving his no trade clause and will mentor Jones through it all this season.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Classy post.

I was never an "Eli guy" but he played well in his biggest games, so did the rest of his team.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Wasn't my buddy RANDY MOSS on that undefeated team? That alone guarantees a choke. Bench Moss and they have a better chance. Welker had a good game, Randy.........not so much. Both teams scored on their first possession and the Giants scored twice in the fourth quarter while NE only scored once. Don't really see a lucky win.

Pats were 0-2 against the Manning led Giants in the SB, so I'll say the facts support the Patriots going 0-10 not 9-1.

Hypothetically my Vikings are 3-1 in Super Bowl play, only losing to the Dolphins. Let's not even talk about the NFC championship games they lost! Atlanta, New Orleans, Seattle...........all wins.

If I remember correctly the Vikings were 0-4 in SB's. The only team to lose 4 SB's until the Bill's came along and lost 4 in a row. That record will probably stand forever.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

Classy post.

@DIMEMAN said:

@perkdog said:

If I remember correctly the Vikings were 0-4 in SB's. The only team to lose 4 SB's until the Bill's came along and lost 4 in a row. That record will probably stand forever.

If Randy would have been a Giant they would have lost.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I wouldn't miss either one of the Manning brothers. The old one almost drove me to Dominos Pizza ... almost.

Yes, Good riddance.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

I wouldn't miss either one of the Manning brothers. The old one almost drove me to Dominos Pizza ... almost.

Yes, Good riddance.

Your son isn’t named Daniel by any chance, Is it?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@perkdog said:

Yes, Good riddance.

Peyton was an Uber driver?

• Options

Like him or not Payton Manning is in the top 3 QB's of all time.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

Sticking with the more modern guys, I’d take Elway, Montana and Brady over him. Maybe Marino, too.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Sticking with the more modern guys, I’d take Elway, Montana and Brady over him. Maybe Marino, too.

Brady is the GOAT then it's a toss up between Montana and Payton Manning. Marino and Elway would be in the top 10 towards the bottom.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

I’d take Unitas over him too. Unitas does not get the credit he deserves these days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I’d take Unitas over him too. Unitas does not get the credit he deserves these days.

Hey, I prefaced it with modern guys. ;)

Utmost respect for Johnny U.

• Options

Marino over manning? A stat whore with zero rings over a stat whore with 2 rings? How does that work

• Options

@BillJones said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Hey, I prefaced it with modern guys. ;)

Utmost respect for Johnny U.

I consider all the QB's I mentioned as modern........I guess it depends on how old you are. ;)

• Options

This is similar to the Babe Ruth argument. The way baseball works, Ruth has been called the GOAT into at least the 1980s and probably beyond. Were spitballs harder to hit than the modern fastball and slider? I think that football in the 1950s and ‘60s was closer the modern game than 1920s baseball is to current Major League Baseball. Unitas and Joe Namath, when he had at least one leg, would be as good as many of the modern stars.

• Options

So at the half, the Giants are down by 18 points on the road with a rookie QB, and their super star running back is out for the rest of the game with an injury.

Then the Giants come storming back in the second half to win the game.

Still think that you can handicap football games against the spread with the bookies juice and make money huh? 💸

• Options

They were playing Tampa, which has a tradition of losing and picking place kickers who couldn't hit a 20 yard field goal if the game depends on it. Tampa has had seven kickers in seven years, and none of them were worth a darn. Every other team can find kickers; Tampa can't.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was one hell of a first NFL start for this kid.

• Options

@BillJones said:
    They were playing Tampa, which has a tradition of losing and picking place kickers who couldn't hit a 20 yard field goal if the game depends on it. Tampa has had seven kickers in seven years, and none of them were worth a darn. Every other team can find kickers; Tampa can't.

The Patriots need a kicker , he missed again today .

• Options

Can a kicker have worse form than this other than falling down?

He kicked the ball like he was afraid of it.

https://youtu.be/8BUDz5op5qk

• Options

I viewed it again. Looked like the kicker's foot may have hit the ground.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

Yes, he will kill a good team. When these guys turn into head cases, they lose it. Former coach, Jimmy Johnson, talked about a kicker who poured his heart out to him about how he was devastated about his mental state over missing routine attempts. Jimmy cut him, and that's how it is in the pro game.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

Yes, he will kill a good team. When these guys turn into head cases, they lose it. Former coach, Jimmy Johnson, talked about a kicker who poured his heart out to him about how he was devastated about his mental state over missing routine attempts. Jimmy cut him, and that's how it is in the pro game.

Right after the kicker did that with Johnson, was the time of the cut measured in minutes or seconds? LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

@bronco2078 said:

@BillJones said:

Right after the kicker did that with Johnson, was the time of the cut measured in minutes or seconds? LOL

You had to be a Super Star to be on that Team!

• Options
    edited September 22, 2019 6:15PM

The amazing thing is that the Tampa team has picked nothing but losers for the kicking position for the last seven years! That takes talent!

Many years ago, when Bill Parcels was the coach at New England, they had a rookie kicker named Scott Sisson. He missed every kick in sight, even the extra points when they were chip shots. A fan showed up with a sigh with a crossed eyed kicker on it called "missin' Sisson." After Sisson missed a yet another chip shot, Parcels yelled "You suck!" at him as he jogged off the field. That was his last game. Parcels got another kicker who now remains nameless because he did not become famous by not doing his job.

The good coaches fix the kicker problem. The dumb ones don't. Tampa has had a string of dumb coaches.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kid showed mobility something Eli doesn’t have anymore. It can make up for obvious flaws in the OL.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Looks like a good decision - Jones looks very poised for a Rookie and is far more mobile than Eli.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

18+ point comebacks....

Daniel Jones: 1-for-1

Eli Manning: 0-for-44

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    18+ point comebacks....

That is a fun stat

• Options

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    18+ point comebacks....

That is a fun stat

If there was a record for blown games.....Romo would have that by a mile!

• Options

I guess everyone has heard about Saquon Barkley, out 4 to 8 weeks.

That new Giants QB is certainly going to get put to the test.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    18+ point comebacks....

Get a hold of yourself. He did it against Tampa Bay, a time with a talent for pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. If he does some more winning from some teams who amount to something, you can report more “eye opening” stats.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@galaxy27 said:
    18+ point comebacks....

Get a hold of yourself. He did it against Tampa Bay, a time with a talent for pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. If he does some more winning from some teams who amount to something, you can report more “eye opening” stats.

your son isnt named Eli by any chance, is he?

• Options

Eli is better than his stats indicate , Peyton is worse than his stats indicate

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

You are a hoot Bronc......but Payton was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Eli.

• Options

Peyton was absolutely better than Eli. Eli had more luck on his side than Peyton though

• Options

Peyton Manning was a better regular season QB than almost anyone to ever play.

But Eli Manning was better in the playoffs.

In the case of EVERY Super Bowl winning quarterback, you need a solid defense. One of the unsung aspects of the Patriots (more so outside of the fan base) dynasty has been the quality and caliber of the defense; not always with sexy names but always stout - particularly in their secondary. Brady deserves all the credit he gets but that team isn’t a perennial contender without the consistently good defense put forth year in and year out with a changing cast of coordinators and players.

• Options

Peyton Manning was a better regular season QB than almost anyone to ever play.

But Eli Manning was better in the playoffs.

In the case of EVERY Super Bowl winning quarterback, you need a solid defense. One of the unsung aspects of the Patriots (more so outside of the fan base) dynasty has been the quality and caliber of the defense; not always with sexy names but always stout - particularly in their secondary. Brady deserves all the credit he gets but that team isn’t a perennial contender without the consistently good defense put forth year in and year out with a changing cast of coordinators and players.

I will agree with this for the most part but as ever changing the Defense has been the same could be said about the offensive personnel. No QB has ever done more with such a variety of offensive players around him, the offensive players in and out of the organization has always been like a revolving door at the mall during the holiday season.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

You are a hoot Bronc......but Payton was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than Eli.

I'm not saying Eli is better than Peyton. The both have the same number of rings . The paths they took are different. Eli has a 500 W-L record but when put in position to grab a superbowl his record is 1.000

Peyton has the best personal stats of any QB but he wilted on the big stage

Actually if head to head records is the comparison , I think we can all agree Eli is better than Brady B)

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Actually if head to head records is the comparison , I think we can all agree Eli is better than Brady

Based on 2 SB games, you correct. Eli lead 2 4th quarter winning drives to beat the Brady/Pats. In each game, there was very little time for Brady to orchestrate a comeback. I truly believe the difference between winning teams is small, need a turnover, penalty, great catch, have last possession, etc. The Patriots have benefitted and lost close games because of these examples.

Overall, what the Patriots have accomplished over the past 20 years will be nearly impossible to replicate with free agency, salary caps, turnover in personnel, etc. The Dallas, 49ers, Steelers teams were all loaded, which most likely will not occur in today’s game. We will have to wait and see if another organization can have this level of success, consistency, execution, winning, etc. in the future.