Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Express gets the ‘Scan’ treatment???

1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 17, 2019 2:28AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I think I missed the announcement for it; that’s a big step in the right direction for card security in my opinion.

I’m not always the most savvy guy when it comes to all things internet but I know that for me personally it’s gotten a little harder to find some of the older listings online with their photos still included.

With so much of the detective work from the Blow Out Forums based off of card scans and photos, the more rapidly the PSA database of scanned cards can grow, the better.

A tip of the cap @PSACard

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 5:31AM

They stated it was being done at the higher service levels and would be working down to the lower ones. Currently it is express and up.

https://www.psacard.com/articles/articleview/9887/psa-adds-free-securescan-service-super-express-level-orders-higher

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great first step. However, unless PSA invests in technology to photo match previously graded cards to new submissions or adds a team to look for matches the way the Blowout Detectives do, this will not help them catch trimmed cards. I am not a modern guy, but how embarrassing will it be when PSA grades a serial numbered card that is trimmed when the evidence is right in their own database?

I keep waiting for a follow up announcement on how they will use this database to stay ahead of the trimmers - but a National has gone by and nothing has been announced.

Gathering these photos is important - doing something with them is what is necessary for PSA to put all of this behind them.

• Options

Thank you, Express Level!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Looks great in the holder. Sincere congratulations on completing your set.

• Options

@brad31 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

Looks great in the holder. Sincere congratulations on completing your set.

Brad,

Thank you. Sincerely.

I share many of your same concerns. While progress has been slow, we have seen the wheels turning here and there. On this specifically, the cart can’t come before the horse; you have to have a mountain (of data) before you can mine. The scanning of cards by PSA is a big step and it’s expanding to more cards even faster than I would have thought it would.

I am not looking for this thread to disappear; maybe we can chat more via PM. Reach out anytime.

Thanks again

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

This is terrific and I'm glad they are capturing scans of both front and back of the card. The back is especially critical since some of the detective work to match cards focused on print dots on the backs of cards. My fear is now the card doctors know they have to cleanup/modify markings on the backs so that they cannot be matched to the prior version.

I think all the TPG's should capture and share with each other front/back pictures along with description/notes as needed to describe anything they saw during the grading process.

• Options

Not trying to get a thread closed. I do agree that accumulating photos is a positive, welcome step. If my post went too far hopefully they can delete the post and not the thread. I am most excited to be able to see a high quality scan of cards via a cert lookup to get better scans than are available from the seller.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not going to delete the post or thread. The scanning process is just one step we are taking in beefing things up. I am not at liberty to say what, how or when things will be implemented, but the lack of statement is not due to lack of caring or unwillingness to rethink the process.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

And congrats on landing your white whale! I've been following the story for a while now, and am so happy you were able to complete your set!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.