Home Sports Talk
Options

How many of these events can you check off.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Live attendance. TV does not count.

1 MLB game
2 NFL game
3 NBA game
4 NHL game
5 Div 1 football game
6 Div 1 basketball game
7 Marathon race
8 Thoroughbred horse race
9 Standardbred horse race
10 Formula one race
11 Indy car race
12 Nascar race
13 Boxing match -- professional
14 Tennis match --professional
15 Golf tournament --professional
16. Professional wrestling card
17 Alice Cooper concert
18 Climbed the Statue of Liberty
19 Driven over Hoover Dam
20 Visited Disneyland

Comments

• Options

Sure I skewed it a bit towards stuff i have done. ;)

1 Tigers
    2 Lions
    3 Pistons
    4 Wings
    5 Michigan
    6 Nope
    7 Detroit-Windsor Marathon
    8 Detroit race course.
    9 Inaugural Woodrow Wilson pace at the Meadowlands.
    10 Detroit Grand prix
    11 Indy 500
    12 Nope
    13 Nope-- Had tickets in Vegas once but my dad was ill so I passed.
    14 Nope
    15 Nope to golf
    16 Yup. Big Time Wrestling at air conditioned Cobo Hall.
    17 Three times and hope he comes down from phoenix again
    18 Yup. The crown...torch was closed
    19 Hoover Dam. yes, before the bypass and once afterwards.
    20 Disneyland in 1975. Pirates was cool.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

MLB
    NFL
    Div 1 football
    Pro tennis
    KISS - 10 TIMES
    Disneyland in 1982
    Bullfight in Tijuana

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zero, but I went to Paris France in 1992 and stood right in front of the famous Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Da Vinci. I was 12 years old. I went with my Grandparents. I'll never forget Paris at night, all the lights. Beautiful city. Also went up on the Eiffel Tower. I remember going into a music shop and buying Metallica, the black album on cassette also. Great times.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 5:34AM

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 5:34AM

1 MLB game
    2 NFL game
    3 NBA game
    4 NHL game
    5 Div 1 football game
    8 Thoroughbred horse race
    9 Standardbred horse race
    16. Professional wrestling card
    18 Climbed the Statue of Liberty
    19 Driven over Hoover Dam

Never saw Alice Cooper but been to a ton of big name concerts. Been to Disney World too.

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

1-6
    8-11
    20(if Disneyworld can be substituted)

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2019 6:23AM

I think I've done about a third of your list...may I suggest:

The dumbest things you've ever done and lived?

My entry would be hiking the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch from El Tovar hotel along the Bright Angel Trail and back, in ONE day, with only 2 snickers bars and a thermos of water. 18 miles round trip, 2 very inexperienced hikers we were, and very, very lucky to have survived. Gravity will really nail you hiking out, especially when the snickers were long gone. Then, we had to drive to Williams, Arizona, about 60 miles south to get a room. DUMB, DUMB AND DUMBER!!!
    4,400 feet in elevation change...if you go, be prepared, not stupid like we were

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

MLB game
    NFL game
    NBA game
    NHL game
    Div 1 football game
    Div 1 basketball game
    Thoroughbred horse race
    Standardbred horse race (also quarter horse & dogs)
    Climbed the Statue of Liberty (only visited, no climbing. I did climb the Washington Monument if that is considered an acceptable substitution)
    Driven over Hoover Dam ( been there while visiting Las Vegas, only viewed it from a distance and took pictures)
    Visited Disneyland

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Zero, but I went to Paris France in 1992 and stood right in front of the famous Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Da Vinci. I was 12 years old. I went with my Grandparents. I'll never forget Paris at night, all the lights. Beautiful city. Also went up on the Eiffel Tower.

Did all that, the Louvre, etc...except for the Eiffel Tower - only took pictures from a distance.

I have a feeling that my "Paris at night" experience was different from yours at 12 years old. LOL

• Options
    edited September 14, 2019 6:51AM

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:
    Zero, but I went to Paris France in 1992 and stood right in front of the famous Mona Lisa painting by Leonardo Da Vinci. I was 12 years old. I went with my Grandparents. I'll never forget Paris at night, all the lights. Beautiful city. Also went up on the Eiffel Tower.

Did all that, the Louvre, etc...except for the Eiffel Tower - only took pictures from a distance.

I have a feeling that my "Paris at night" experience was different from yours at 12 years old. LOL

Unfortunately at that age, the only licking at night I was able to do, was a french Vanilla ice cream cone my grandparents bought me. ;)

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Unfortunately at that age, the only licking at night I was able to do, was a french Vanilla ice cream cone my grandparents bought me. ;)

I drove a rental car in France. Sometimes on certain roads in the beginning, I almost wasn't sure if I'd make it out alive and there were four others in the car with me. It's as if there is no such thing as "yield" in France, it's first come first served as far as the driving lanes. But you get used to it quickly.

It was even worse than driving in some North Jersey cities. LOL

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    I think I've done about a third of your list...may I suggest:

The dumbest things you've ever done and lived?

My entry would be hiking the Grand Canyon to Phantom Ranch from El Tovar hotel along the Bright Angel Trail and back, in ONE day, with only 2 snickers bars and a thermos of water. 18 miles round trip, 2 very inexperienced hikers we were, and very, very lucky to have survived. Gravity will really nail you hiking out, especially when the snickers were long gone. Then, we had to drive to Williams, Arizona, about 60 miles south to get a room. DUMB, DUMB AND DUMBER!!!
    4,400 feet in elevation change...if you go, be prepared, not stupid like we were

A number of people do not survive Grand Canyon visits.

20 years ago a friend visited and we headed to Utah. Along the way we visited slot canyons on the AZ side of the border. It was in August during the Monsoon season. It was cloudy and unspectacular that day.

A week or so later a hard rain hit the same area and flooded the canyons. A number (maybe 10) were killed in the same spot we had been in.

Out here you learn quickly about heat, gravity and flooding.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I drove a rental car in France. Sometimes on certain roads in the beginning, I almost wasn't sure if I'd make it out alive and there were four others in the car with me. It's as if there is no such thing as "yield" in France, it's first come first served as far as the driving lanes. But you get used to it quickly.

It was even worse than driving in some North Jersey cities. LOL

I remember we rode in a doubledecker bus all the way to the Versailles palace and how huge the palace was when we got there. I also remember walking through the hall of mirrors. I also remember eating most of my meals at a Mcdonalds that was about a block from our hotel. I was only 12, so I loved Mcdonalds.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullfight in Tijuana

For me it was the Blue Fox in Tijuana.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

1-2 & 3

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

16 out of 20
    and if you had Div 1 baseball game it would be 17 out of 21.
    however I have not been to a Div 1 hockey game, so that makes it 17 of 22.
    Although I did watch the Frozen 4 playoffs on television. I watched Cale Makar of UMass play in the frozen 4 and right after the tournament score a playoff goal for the Colorado Avalanche in the playoffs. Quite an accomplishment coming from a defenseman.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

1, 3-6, 8, 15

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am missing Formula One, NASCAR, Alice Cooper, Hoover Dam and Disney Land (but have been to Disney World).

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2019 7:33AM

8 out of 20

MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, Div 1 football, Div 1 basketball, Standardbred racing, marathon race

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

12, including Alice Cooper (twice).

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB
    NFL
    NBA
    NHL
    D1 football
    D1 hoops
    Golf tournies
    D-land
    Donkey show in Boy's Town

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    I am missing Formula One, NASCAR, Alice Cooper, Hoover Dam and Disney Land (but have been to Disney World).

Of the 5, go see Alice.

• Options

Question: Does seeing Alice Cooper at a celebrity golf tournament count? It wasn't a concert so I didn't check it. as one of the 20. He did say the words "schools out" to a lady in the crowd who I believe was recording it for her voicemail or ring tone or something. Coinstartled, are you a big Alice fan?

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 4:03AM

@TennisCoach said:
    Question: Does seeing Alice Cooper at a celebrity golf tournament count? It wasn't a concert so I didn't check it. as one of the 20. He did say the words "schools out" to a lady in the crowd who I believe was recording it for her voicemail or ring tone or something. Coinstartled, are you a big Alice fan?

Would love to grant you a credit on the Alice concert, but then I would be checking off the boxing category for myself as i ran into Ray Mancini at Caesars Palace some years ago. Can't do it. ;)

I get to a couple concerts a year. Old timers that are still entertaining and well worth the price. Robert Plant, America, Pat Benatar, Grass Roots, Neil Young...Hell went to see Chubby Checker three years ago.

Crowds are old and you get a bunch of narration with the show. Not a bad thing as the stories are great and it gives the 70 year old performers a chance to catch their breath.

Alice Cooper though..he rocks like it is 1970. Band is always hot and the theatrics are a blast.

Last time he was in town was a few years ago. Outdoor venue and it was 108 degrees at sundown. Didn't slow Cooper down a bit. Great performer. Great show.

https://youtu.be/FFXJj_qzVQM

• Options

I agree, a celebrity golf tournament is nothing like seeing Alice in concert. Some friends of mine have seen him perform live, they would tell me how Alice always finds a myriad of ways to die. A true showman that brings added theatre to each performance.

• Options
    arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

All but two. Can add skydiving over Hawaii and running with the bulls in Pamplona as alternatives to Alice Cooper and a marathon. I have tried to cross town during a marathon which is no easy feat itself.

• Options

About 5 years ago Cooper was touring with Marilyn Manson. He really did not like the matchup but felt it was necessary to sell enough tickets.

Two very different crowds and Manson was first to perform. Everyone was well behaved and seemingly had a good time.

When the Manson segment ended a pretty good number of the younger folks left the site. I thought WTH, you are already here. Stick around and watch a legend.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited September 17, 2019 6:26AM

#1 Tigers at both parks, #2 Lions Ford Field, #3 Pistons when they first went to the Silverdome i was surprised how physical the game was,# Red Wings at the Olympia and JLA, #7 Detroit Windsor marathon, #10 Formula in Detroit, Mosport, Watkins Glenn,Montreal and Indianapolis ,#11Indy racing in the "D",#17 Saw Alice Cooper play with his band at my local high school before he went national.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

1-6, 9, 11, 14, 15, 19 (avg 4 times/yr) = 11
    Add a cricket match, Aussie Rules FB, a strip club that's now been turned into a synagogue, etc.

Does kickboxing/Muay Thai count for #13? It was a televised event. Hundreds of concerts, but sadly Cooper was not one of them.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@Coinstartled said:

Add a cricket match, Aussie Rules FB, a strip club that's now been turned into a synagogue, etc.

The first shul where you have to take off a yarmulke.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 MLB game (old Yankee Stadium, Old Shea Stadium, Rockies, Royals)
    3 NBA game (Denver Nuggets old arena)
    4 NHL game (Islanders Nassau Coliseum, Vancouver Canucks)
    5 Div 1 football game (Army-Navy game in Philly)
    16. Professional wrestling card (WWF back in the 80's)
    17 Alice Cooper concert (David Lee Roth/Poison close)

Add in semi pro Irish Soccer (Airtricity League) in Tallaght, South Dublin and Division 1 Hockey (University of Alaska Fairbanks - although to be fair more like division 3 quality as no one in the WCHL want to play Alaska teams anymore, not even for the automatic win they would get, that's how bad Alaska Division 1 teams are)

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options

@Coinstartled said:
    About 5 years ago Cooper was touring with Marilyn Manson. He really did not like the matchup but felt it was necessary to sell enough tickets.

Two very different crowds and Manson was first to perform. Everyone was well behaved and seemingly had a good time.

When the Manson segment ended a pretty good number of the younger folks left the site. I thought WTH, you are already here. Stick around and watch a legend.

I guess sometimes young people don't have things figured out. Or maybe they are walking out based on some kind of misguided loyalty. I remember in some earlier Metallica concerts, during the warm-ups acts a large group of fans would have their backs turned giving the bird to the stage until Metallica arrived. Not quite the same thing as you described, but some of those opening acts were actually pretty good.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TennisCoach said:

@Coinstartled said:

I guess sometimes young people don't have things figured out. Or maybe they are walking out based on some kind of misguided loyalty. I remember in some earlier Metallica concerts, during the warm-ups acts a large group of fans would have their backs turned giving the bird to the stage until Metallica arrived. Not quite the same thing as you described, but some of those opening acts were actually pretty good.

I remember walking out on Metallica at a concert after the black album came out (and I loved all their prior stuff). Soundgarden was on stage immediately prior killing it and four straight black album songs was all I could take. Lollapalooza, maybe? The only time I ever turned my back to the band was when Bon Jovi tried to poorly cover a Beatles song, can't recall which one now, but it was sacrilegious.

• Options

Only walked out of one concert. Cher in Vegas, 1978 or so, and i was a fan. Seats were terrible, she was terrible. With crap tables 30 feet I figured my time could be better spent.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I can add that watching the Windsor Spitfires for home games for almost two years was very enjoying they were chalking up wins like nobody's business and came away with back to back OHL and Memorial Cup championships.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 8:47PM

Either Help or Here Comes the Sun. But most likely Help. But don’t feel bad about Metallica. Axl did the same thing and to his own band.

@LarkinCollector said:

@TennisCoach said:

@Coinstartled said:

I remember walking out on Metallica at a concert after the black album came out (and I loved all their prior stuff). Soundgarden was on stage immediately prior killing it and four straight black album songs was all I could take. Lollapalooza, maybe? The only time I ever turned my back to the band was when Bon Jovi tried to poorly cover a Beatles song, can't recall which one now, but it was sacrilegious.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2019 8:45PM

Her prime was way before my time. But just saw Cher in DC. Free tickets and was more than pleasantly surprised. Sonny Bono hologram during “I got you, babe” was amazing. And who didnt like ”Mask” with Gar and Dodgers baseball cards?

@Coinstartled said:
    Only walked out of one concert. Cher in Vegas, 1978 or so, and i was a fan. Seats were terrible, she was terrible. With crap tables 30 feet I figured my time could be better spent.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alice Cooper concert is pretty random! I did just do Disneyland last week, though.

Daniel
  • Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Alice Cooper concert is pretty random! I did just do Disneyland last week, though.

50 years times 100 shows times 5000 seats per show equals 25,000,000 opportunities.

*sure my numbers are overstated...but that is a metric here.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

1 MLB game. Yes, many
    2 NFL game. Yes, 5
    3 NBA game. Yes, 6
    4 NHL game. Yes, 1
    5 Div 1 football game. Many
    6 Div 1 basketball game. Many
    7 Marathon race. 0
    8 Thoroughbred horse race. 0
    9 Standardbred horse race. 1
    10 Formula one race. 0
    11 Indy car race. 0
    12 Nascar race. 1
    13 Boxing match -- professional. Many
    14 Tennis match --professional. 0
    15 Golf tournament --professional. 3
    16. Professional wrestling card. 0
    17 Alice Cooper concert. 0
    18 Climbed the Statue of Liberty. 0
    19 Driven over Hoover Dam. 0
    20 Visited Disneyland. Yes

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 19, 2019 9:29AM

1 MLB game - tons, can't count, in Detroit, NY, Denver, Seattle, Atlanta (all 3 stadiums)
    2 NFL game - many
    3 NBA game - many
    4 NHL game - many
    5 Div 1 football game - tons
    6 Div 1 basketball game - tons
    13 Boxing match -- professional - once
    15 Golf tournament --professional - several
    16. Professional wrestling card - once

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭
    1. MLB game Yes, very many. Philly at Connie Mack, the Vet and CBP, NY, Boston and Balt
    2. NFL game Yes, only Eagles
    3. NBA game Yes only Sixers
    4. NHL game Yes only Flyers
    5. Div 1 football No, but have seen Division II and III games
    6. Div 1 Basketball Yes, very many
    7. Marathon Race No
    8. Thoroughbread Race Yes
    9. Standardbread race Yes Even ventured out to Western PA to watch the Hambletonian many years ago
      10,11,12 All Racing, No
    10. Boxing Match professional Yes, once at the Spectrum
    11. Tennis match No
    12. Golf Tournament yes
    13. Pro Wrestling Yes, even an early Wrestlemania
    14. Alice Cooper NO
    15. Statue of Liberty, Been there but never climbed it
    16. Hoover Dam No
    17. Disneyland Yes

Excellent list, but I feel that it's not complete without a visit to Pearl Harbor

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2019 7:56PM
    1. Connie Mack Stadium as a kid, the Vet, Shea Stadium, Fenway Park
    2. Eagles only at the Vet many years ago.
    3. Old Boston Garden, Larry Bird played and Johnnie Most came in on a stretcher
    4. Philadelphia Spectrum many years ago. Bernie Parrot was the goalie. The puck rebound off the boards and went in from in back of him, winning the game for the Rangers,
    5. No. University of Delaware - no Div 1
    6. Ditto, not Div 1
    7. No
    8. No
    9. No
    10. No
    11. No
    12. No
    13. No
    14. No
    15. No
    16. Yes at the old Boston Garden, in the sticks in New Jersey and Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. The featured match was Bruno Sanmartino vs. Garilla Monsoon. It was a DQ after the Garilla hit the ref. Such a surprise!
    17. No
    18. Yes, when I was less than 10 and again when I was in my 20s
    19. I walked over it and took a tour inside. Does that count?
    20. Yes, in the mid 1980s. I have been Disney World many times.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Yep, Bill. You get the Hoover Dam points.