Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Show us a coin you’ll probably never sell...

Comments

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Took me over 10 years to track this beaver down

Nice, er, go ducks(?)... :D

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow nice stuff everyone!!!!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never say never but here's mine.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    PurpleEchoPurpleEcho Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Excellent thread idea and special coins

AKA Pakasmom

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 26, 2019 1:14PM

@MrEureka said:
    This will probably be the last coin I sell. It's the first Costa Rican coin actually made in Costa Rica, and it's unique. The only earlier pieces were made elsewhere and countermarked by Costa Rica.

That's great it's the first coin made in Costa Rica, but I'm curious why it is unique? Is this a pattern? Or were there more struck but only one known survivor?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    This will probably be the last coin I sell. It's the first Costa Rican coin actually made in Costa Rica, and it's unique. The only earlier pieces were made elsewhere and countermarked by Costa Rica.

@MrEureka said:

Holy cow!

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I would have to post my entire collection - since I do not sell coins... I like what I have and will keep them...as well as any new acquisitions. Mine, mine, all mine.... :D Cheers, RickO

ricko, feel the same way. family can dispose of them after I'm gone.

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    Not a coin or a medal but a restrike from cancelled 1884CC and 1878CC dies. Struck in the mid 90's at the CC mint on .999 2 oz. silver planchets. I weighed it 62.7 grams. Hope you guys don't mind, would have a hard time parting with it, not many have surfaced over the years. Anyone know how many were struck?

I recall seeing a few of these several years ago but none recently.

I also seem to recall some mintage information in an eBay listing but those tend to disappear over time. It would be great to collect this type of information someplace.

• Options
    edited December 26, 2019 7:49PM

Many items, but this one is notable.

This is one of my earliest eBay finds and is issued by the US Treasury for helping with the WWI war effort back when the government needed individuals to get help fund wars. While the general medal is very common, this is the only one I've ever seen that is unholed through my many years of collecting. It was valued as it came in a custom Capital Plastics holder which it is still in.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Moved to N Carolina a decade ago and started hunting for one of these. Found it last year.

That's awesome!

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    Here’s one I just picked up. I’ll probably never sell it. Not because I like it, but because it might have been struck in CC.

Count the edge reeds! >:)

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one. My first certified coin and one that fascinated me as a young collector. Have spent cumulative hours admiring it. Probably one of the reasons why I am partial to toned coins, although I know that this one in particular may be polarizing. Recently crossed to PCGS from an old small ANACS holder.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@clarke442 said:

Just because it is my birth year

Thats gotta be at least 50%, how are they measuring these

• Options

IMO, it is not a CC. The date position appears incorrect and I should think some of the doubling on the stars would be visible.> @Insider2 said:

@MrEureka said:
    Here’s one I just picked up. I’ll probably never sell it. Not because I like it, but because it might have been struck in CC.

I was hoping someone would inform me these have no edge reeds! As a new authenticator at a show in MD, Stan Furman showed me a 20c coin and told me it was a mint error struck by mistake w/no reeding. LOL

BTW I don't think your coin is a CC as the shield date position does not match.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I also seem to recall some mintage information in an eBay listing but those tend to disappear over time. It would be great to collect this type of information someplace.

i'd be pretty shocked NOT to find some census information in the archives here. i've seen these posted here on/off for at least, several years.

great coins/medals etc in this thread! nice to see what moves other people.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    IMO, it is not a CC. The date position appears incorrect and I should think some of the doubling on the stars would be visible.> @Insider2 said:

@MrEureka said:

I was hoping someone would inform me these have no edge reeds! As a new authenticator at a show in MD, Stan Furman showed me a 20c coin and told me it was a mint error struck by mistake w/no reeding. LOL

You almost got me on the reeding but I caught it before responding! Which is why I gave you the LOL. (:>)

As for the date position not matching, that alone is not conclusive. After all, we know that there were at least two obverse dies produced for 1876-CC Twenty Cent pieces. As you may recall, one of them, not the one used to strike all of the known coins, was discarded and discovered maybe a decade ago in the vicinity of the CC Mint. To prove that my piece was struck in Philly or SF, it should exhibit some distinctive characteristic. I don't see it, but I would defer to @astrorat on that matter.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

@MrEureka said:

@Insider2 said:

@MrEureka said:

You almost got me on the reeding but I caught it before responding! Which is why I gave you the LOL. (:>)

As for the date position not matching, that alone is not conclusive. After all, we know that there were at least two obverse dies produced for 1876-CC Twenty Cent pieces. As you may recall, one of them, not the one used to strike all of the known coins, was discarded and discovered maybe a decade ago in the vicinity of the CC Mint. To prove that my piece was struck in Philly or SF, it should exhibit some distinctive characteristic. I don't see it, but I would defer to @astrorat on that matter.

I only saw information that one obverse die was used on all the known examples.

• Options

I'll need to look at that double Dime book again. I took my info fro a Heritage sale and image.

• Options

PCGS MS65 Carson city

• Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

The personal coin of the gentleman whose initials make up 2/3 of the acronym "VAM".

When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    BestGermanBestGerman Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Andy, what's the criteria: I'll never sell it because I like it so much, or because I paid so much for it that I'll never be able to sell it!?

Ron Guth, Chief Investigator
    The Numismatic Detective Agency

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BestGerman said:
    Andy, what's the criteria: I'll never sell it because I like it so much, or because I paid so much for it that I'll never be able to sell it!?

“I never lost money on a coin!” - Denny Crane

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

I was shocked to find my own coin on PCGS Coin Facts! Please share stories! I call this toning "Wild Magic"!

• Options

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file