Home Sports Talk

What comparisons can be made between the NFL and the game of Chess?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aside from the Raiders getting rooked on the Antonio Brown debacle.

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

And castling is good when tailgating.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never understood why the King can only move one box at a time when the Queen can pretty
    much go wherever she wants. And the knights running a down and out or down and in pattern?
    I guess that compares to football.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those cheeseburgers look absolutely horrendous.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:

The last ones I had were terrible!

@Darin said:

Perfect for Lions fans.

Looks like Cleveland got checkmated today.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Never understood why the King can only move one box at a time when the Queen can pretty
    much go wherever she wants. And the knights running a down and out or down and in pattern?
    I guess that compares to football.

In medieval chess the queen was the weakest piece on the board. She could only move or capture moving one space at a time in the diagonal direction. The modern queen got her power in the 1400s. The game with the weak queen must have deadly slow.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both are played on a "Field" with 4 sides.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must protect your most important piece in order to win.

The offensive line/pawns don’t really get as much credit as they deserve and they are often overlooked for the flashier guys with all the moves.

Sound decision making and seeing the field are common traits amongst good players in both games.

Not everyone can play it.

If the guy calling the plays sucks you are in for a beating!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• arteeartee Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Both are played on flat surfaces.