Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this genuine clip on this half cent?

Looks pretty interesting with such a dramatic clip, however I can't tell fi it is a clip or PMD.
Is this a genuine clip or PMD?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Liberty-Half-Cent-1804/254344622724?hash=item3b381ef284:g:oTkAAOSwxZVdVZx6

Comments

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Images are out of focus... or maybe I need a new prescription to look at coins on ebay...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would ask for better pics. Are the pics better in his other auctions? Sometimes blurry pics are intentional to hide something.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

"part of moms estate"

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

Highly doubtful

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me no like.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭

No way.

TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options

@1630Boston said:
    "part of moms estate"

Did she keep it in a 200 year old safe? ;)

• Options

Mick Jagger is selling it, so that has to count for something.

ANA 1106971 MSNS NBS
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it.

If the pics are bad and there is a nagging doubt, listen to the little voice that says "move along".

• Options
    MattTheRileyMattTheRiley Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭

Guy has razor sharp images for all of his other listings... Run away!

• Options

@MattTheRiley said:
    Guy has razor sharp images for all of his other listings... Run away!

That tells you a lot. He's obviously trying to hide something on that coin. Time to move on although it would be fun to ask him for better pics just to see how he responds. :D .

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure it's been clipped.....with tin snips!

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not believe that is a mint error, even on a coin that old you will see metal flow on the rim adjacent to the clip. Even in those blurry pictures I can tell the rim is sharp.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lousy pictures are a sure clue that all is not well....I would not even consider such an offering. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll stay away from that one

• Options
    Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@seanq said:
    I do not believe that is a mint error, even on a coin that old you will see metal flow on the rim adjacent to the clip. Even in those blurry pictures I can tell the rim is sharp.

Sean Reynolds

Thanks for the insight. Ill be sure to look out for that from now on.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why bother? The photos are bad, and how counterfeit sellers market their crap.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not just a question of whether or not the clip is genuine, but also of whether or not the coin is genuine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file