Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When you sell an 1889 S as an 1889 CC

Seriously can't make this stuff up. Its like these ripoffs are just getting lazier by the day...
Either way the coin listed and in the photos is an 1889 S not an 1889 CC
Could we apply some pressure to get this corrected?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-CC-US-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-1-not-certified/123890751878?hash=item1cd876d986:g:eocAAOSwX6VdZ7C9

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 1:18PM

Obviously he has no clue and I messaged him yesterday and ...............................we'll see.
    I did tell him he needs to disclose the cleaning as that is one of ebay rules....to disclose any issues or problems.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody that can't see that this is a cleaned "S" not a "CC" should take up a different hobby!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Anybody that can't see that this is a cleaned "S" not a "CC" should take up a different hobby!

Everyone was a newbie.

Everyone had a first purchase.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

Have you never seen a major TPG grading label with the wrong date, variety, mintmark or denomination? Should they take up a different hobby (profession)?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Have you never seen a major TPG grading label with the wrong date, variety, mintmark or denomination? Should they take up a different hobby (profession)?

Maybe ATS. It never happens on this side of the street. :)

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

Yes, I own an 1851O 3CS labeled as 1851.

So?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

reported

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@MFeld said:

So?

I was pointing out to DIMEMAN that people can make mistakes/miss dates, mintmarks, etc. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that (as he put it) “they should take up a different hobby!”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Not even the same thing. I catch that every once in a while on the bay and other places. If you are seriously looking at a coin to purchase and miss the date and mint mark.....it's nobody's fault, but your own.....PERIOD!

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Not even the same thing. I catch that every once in a while on the bay and other places. If you are seriously looking at a coin to purchase and miss the date and mint mark.....it's nobody's fault, but your own.....PERIOD!

If you feel that way, it sounds like you’re devaluing the responsibility of grading companies in grading and attributing coins, while putting their name on the holders. It’s a different type of responsibility from buying a coin, but one that they take seriously. And yet, understandably, they still make mistakes.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

If you feel that way, it sounds like you’re devaluing the responsibility of grading companies in grading and attributing coins, while putting their name on the holders. It’s a different type of responsibility from buying a coin, but one that they take seriously. And yet, understandably, they still make mistakes.

Not at all. I am not devaluing the responsibility of the grading companies. When you label millions of coins you are bound to print the wrong info on the label. It's called a mechanical error and they will fix these at their expense. As a buyer I feel you are responsible for checking the date and MM. JMHO

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Listing is gone now... pulled for error.... Most likely the seller was a bit embarrassed by such a glaring mistake. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@BStrauss3 said:

@MFeld said:

So?

I was pointing out to DIMEMAN that people can make mistakes/miss dates, mintmarks, etc. But that doesn’t necessarily mean that (as he put it) “they should take up a different hobby!”

Mark, should tiis guy stay in the hobby?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-D-EF-Morgan-Silver-Dollar/283595522768
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-cc-Morgan-Silver-Dollar/283595536371
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-CC-AU-Morgan-Silver-Dollar/283595533676
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1888-F-Morgan-US-Silver-Dollar/283595528136
    etc

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

It is your own fault, but that doesn't mean you deserve it.

True story, just yesterday. I was scrapping gold and silver with a local guy. I had a lot of different forms. They were counting, weighing listing. I knew the total was off what I had estimated but I couldn't find the mistake. Last night, I found it: my $40 in 90% quarters was listed as $4.

I called and we sorted it out. But, using your logic, there are several possibilities:
    1. I should quit the coin business.
    2. They should quit the coin business.
    3. They should go to jail
    4. We both should quit the coin business

To my thinking, it was an honest mistake that I didn't catch and we worked it all out with no one quitting their job or going to jail.

The 1st coin I ever bought at an auction was a medieval bronze coin that is virtually nothing but a small porous piece of copper that is allegedly a 12th century Spanish coin. I paid $15 for it. Lucky if it was worth a buck. I learned more and I confidently spend a couple hundred thousand per year on coins without losing my shirt.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

True story, just yesterday. I was scrapping gold and silver with a local guy. I had a lot of different forms. They were counting, weighing listing. I knew the total was off what I had estimated but I couldn't find the mistake. Last night, I found it: my $40 in 90% quarters was listed as $4.

I called and we sorted it out. But, using your logic, there are several possibilities:

To my thinking, it was an honest mistake that I didn't catch and we worked it all out with no one quitting their job or going to jail.

The 1st coin I ever bought at an auction was a medieval bronze coin that is virtually nothing but a small porous piece of copper that is allegedly a 12th century Spanish coin. I paid $15 for it. Lucky if it was worth a buck. I learned more and I confidently spend a couple hundred thousand per year on coins without losing my shirt.

This is yet a different thing entirely. All I am saying is that if you are looking at a coin to purchase you should know what the Date and MM are....that's all. The mistakes you mentioned here can happen to anyone.

• Options

@AUandAG said:

@MFeld said:

@BStrauss3 said:

@MFeld said:

So?

Mark, should tiis guy stay in the hobby?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1889-D-EF-Morgan-Silver-Dollar/283595522768
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-cc-Morgan-Silver-Dollar/283595536371
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1884-CC-AU-Morgan-Silver-Dollar/283595533676
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1888-F-Morgan-US-Silver-Dollar/283595528136
    etc

I think not!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

uldn't find the mistake. Last night, I found it: my $40 in 90% quarters was listed as $4.

\

This is yet a different thing entirely. All I am saying is that if you are looking at a coin to purchase you should know what the Date and MM are....that's all. The mistakes you mentioned here can happen to anyone.

But if you are new to the hobby, like DAY ONE, you don't know what a Red Book is, you may not know what a "CC" looks like, etc. Maybe he thinks the "S" is a C on top of another C? Who knows?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Yes, of course you should know what the date and MM are when you're looking at a coin for purchase. No one has said otherwise. But that's not all you said. Initially. You also said "Anybody that can't see that this is a cleaned "S" not a "CC" should take up a different hobby!". That sounds like a big leap. That's "all I am saying". ;)

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

ronze coin that is virtually nothing but a small porous piece of copper that is allegedly a 12th century Spanish coin. I paid $15 for it. Lucky if it was worth a buck. I learned more and I confidently spend a couple hundred thousand per year on coins without losing my shirt.

Yes, of course you should know what the date and MM are when you're looking at a coin for purchase. No one has said otherwise. But that's not all you said. Initially. You also said "Anybody that can't see that this is a cleaned "S" not a "CC" should take up a different hobby!". That sounds like a big leap. That's "all I am saying". ;)

I'm with Dimeman...we don't need any unsophisticated newbies clogging up our hobby with their money and their ignorance!

• Options

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

How about if I take off the word cleaned. Shouldn't everyone dealing with coins be able to tell the difference between a "S" and a "CC"?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@MFeld said:

@DIMEMAN said:

How about if I take off the word cleaned. Shouldn't everyone dealing with coins be able to tell the difference between a "S" and a "CC"?

I think they should. But if they couldn't, before saying that they should take up a different hobby, I'd try to help them. And admittedly, I'd also suggest they stop buying coins until they could tell the difference.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

poof

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file