Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Multi-sport Cards - Can they be RC's?

All my research says no. Anyone care to educate me?

Cheers

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you tell me what Tiger Woods RC is, I can answer this.

• spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

1933 goudey sport kings?

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really good question and I doubt that there is a definite answer. My guess would be in a situation where there are no other options, then yes. Also, for the non-baseball, football, basketball and hockey athletes, I think that the answer is a definite yes. But say a football player has a card from 1990 in a multi-sport set and from 1991 in a football set, then I would think that most people are going to lean towards the 1991 card.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited September 1, 2019 3:11AM

Or if you want to rule that out due to the size (some do), then still, yes:

Boxers, wrestlers and tennis players also reside in the Propagandas Montiel Set.

I say make your own rules and have fun. They’re your cards and it’s your collection - build it the way you like.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim, you've got a tremendous collection and these are 2 of my favorites of yours!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2019 6:59AM

Joe Louis has a few rookie cards, but most people consider his true rookie card to be the 1935 j.a. pattreiouex, which is a multi sport set, so I am forced by Joe Louis himself, to say yes, they can come from multi sport sets. ;)

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to not consider something a baseball card if it has a blank back - to me that makes it a photo. However, I know I differ than the hobby norm on this. Every rule has grey areas - for instance the 1988 Topps folders have the card back and I don’t consider them cards (even though I love them) since they are functional office supplies.

I would definitely consider multi sport sets as the true rookie card. As someone said Goudey sport kings is a great example.

I think we all have our own opinions and the market proves based on the most popular opinion. The ‘52 Mantle is called a rookie by most and priced as such which I have never understood given the ‘51 Bowman which is a rookie card by almost everyone’s definition.

@brad31 said:
    I tend to not consider something a baseball card if it has a blank back - to me that makes it a photo. However, I know I differ than the hobby norm on this. Every rule has grey areas - for instance the 1988 Topps folders have the card back and I don’t consider them cards (even though I love them) since they are functional office supplies.

I would definitely consider multi sport sets as the true rookie card. As someone said Goudey sport kings is a great example.

I think we all have our own opinions and the market proves based on the most popular opinion. The ‘52 Mantle is called a rookie by most and priced as such which I have never understood given the ‘51 Bowman which is a rookie card by almost everyone’s definition.

I have no problems with anything you said...

...the only issue that comes up is prior to 1951, there’s a lot of great material that came out that has blank backs, a lot of great baseball players chronicled on cardboard of various shapes and sizes and in some cases a true card misses the player by a significant amount of time. The best example is Babe Ruth; many consider 1933 Goudey his rookie card. Yet with so many items before it (and just 3 years left in his career), that just doesn’t work for my brain.

Again, to each their own. Have fun and extoll the virtues of your items! Be proud of your awesome stuff because it’s all awesome stuff.

@DBesse27

Thanks for the kind words.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, to each their own. Have fun and extoll the virtues of your items! Be proud of your awesome stuff because it’s all awesome stuff.

Agree and if we don’t think our own stuff is awesome we are doing it wrong!! Incidentally seeing the stuff I don’t collect is more fun than the stuff I do - the mystery of the unfamiliar is fun. I enjoy seeing all of the items you post.

• Thanks for the input everyone.

Regarding football, all of the recent modern multi-sport sets I have come across are not listed on Beckett as RC's.

A bunch are collegiate cards, but still licensed by the NFLPA which should qualify them.

My understanding would then be, vintage card sets like Goudey get a pass on this and modern card sets do not.

@brad31 said:

Agree and if we don’t think our own stuff is awesome we are doing it wrong!! Incidentally seeing the stuff I don’t collect is more fun than the stuff I do - the mystery of the unfamiliar is fun. I enjoy seeing all of the items you post.

Back at ya!

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

A card is what it is. Call it what you want.