Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The bourse in Placa Reial

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
Just back from a Euro visit that included Amsterdam, Barcelona, and the back of behind in Espana. It was recommended to me to visit the 'bourse' that takes place every Sunday morning in Placa Reial in the Gothic quarter of Barcelona. Below are some pics. No slabs, but friendly dealers, everyone was having a great time. They shut down around noon, then the cafes start to extend their table settings farther out from the buildings surrounding the placa. Which of course, fill up quickly as everyone wants a break from the heat and humidity with a nice drink and/or tapas. We also had a nice dinner with friends one evening in Placa Reial. Great place to visit and possibly pick up a coin or two for a really good price. Maybe not ANA but I think it was worth the 'sacrifice' to be in Barcelona.......

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks pretty nice.
    Did you score anything, or find anything useful at all ?

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun place to visit!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is great... a coin show outdoors in Spain.... Thanks for the pictures....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2019 6:29AM

Was there for xmas, not many coins in the bourse there when we were there, lots of religious stuff and 'antiques' type stuff as it wasn't a 'coin' day. Did pick up a couple things though.

Have had both of those as pocket pieces since I got them. The reale looked like this when I got it over there.

• Options
    edited August 29, 2019 5:10AM

@thebeav said:
    That looks pretty nice.
    Did you score anything, or find anything useful at all ?

There were nice entry level coins there, and if one looked hard, nice old ones like Dr. Buster posted above. I was looking for a 18-19th century British penny in F or above, but only had around 45" and did not get to go through all the offerings at all of the tables, so no luck. Everything was in notebooks as shown in the images, so one really had to search.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

What else did you do in Barca?? Tour the 2 cathedrals? Picasso museum??

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a fun bourse out in the sun B) Thank you for sharing your experience

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you made it!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@DrBuster said:
    What else did you do in Barca?? Tour the 2 cathedrals? Picasso museum??

Did not see the Picasso museum, had a 'Gaudi' full day tour with friends for various Gaudi structures. Tour guide was very knowledgeable. The Sagrada Familia looks great outside, but inside perhaps one of the most amazing spaces every created by man. Wow everyone should see it, and pay up for a guide to avoid the lines and get the story.

We also went to the Castellers of Gracia in the Plaça de la Vila de Gràcia one evening. The castellers are different groups that build human towers. It is quite a show and the intensity from the crowd equals any major sporting event you have even seen if not greater. It can be quite tense as the stories build up. And of course we were at a table drinking and having tapas while the whole spectacle emerged. Good news is the kids they put a 'few stories' up at the top now wear helmets. The group we saw wore indigo blue shirts, came into the square in musical promenade, then began to build.

Best, SH

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barcelona is one of the top cities in all of the world to visit if you love history, people, wine, architecture, the beach and seafood. I worked out of this area for 7 years off and on. I miss it.

Plus they have a Dunkin Donuts!

Sounds like you had a blast! I’m jealous

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for your report, sounds like a great visit.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darn cool stuff.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file