Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PL Submission Results - With Images

keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2019 2:29PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Gang, This is a report on a recent submission of Trade Dollars to receive a PL designation.

The Submission: Three Trade Dollars, a 77-S (in PCGS-61), a 77-S (in PCGS-64), and a 78-S (in PCGS-63). These are all, very good coins with strong to excellent PL characteristics ON BOTH SIDES of the coin. This is important in how PCGS looks at in awarding a PL designation. I knew that going in. All there were solid PL to DMPL coins when compared with Morgans.

TIP: There was some confusion from everyone on how to submit these. It was finally resolved. If you do this, use the Reconsideration Service level to submit.

The Outcome: Just saw the grades. Only one of the three received a PL designation. It was the coin is 61 (the finest PL Trade I have ever seen).

The Opinion: IMO, in this small sample, the designation is very tight. The 61 is a DMPL level coin (as compared with DMPL Morgans or DC Proofs). I was expecting all three to get awarded a PL. I'm obviously a little disappointed and surprised (no whining). If and when I sell these other two coins, I will be listing them as PL (because the mirrors are strong and clear). So for those assuming that PL means the same as Morgan PL, please be careful regarding expectations.

If anyone has any alternative experiences, I would love to hear about them. I'll probably resubmit at some future point to understand if the designation criteria is simply immature amongst non-Morgan series.

I'll share imaged when I get the coins back but Proofs are hard to represent.

keoj

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for your misfortune. Did you not get trueviews with them?

Prooflike Trade Dollars are beautiful.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options

No real misfortune, no sympathy necessary !!!!😀😀😀 Just reporting in and offering comments. Would love to hear about other series!!! I had two NGC coins marked PL and all three of these were superior. With my limited example, quite different attribution criteria. Keoj

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on the one PL anyway... Look forward to the picture.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keoj Congratulations on the PL T$1!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2019 9:37AM

Nice! Images would be nice to see.

Was/is this the first Trade Dollar in PL by PCGS? Did you receive any upgrades?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry you only got one out of three,Joe. Will be interesting to see the images. Did you get them TrueViewed?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2019 12:01PM

There is always another day with plastic. I would not overstate value on submissions unless you want faster turn arounds.

• Options
    Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been curious about how the PL designations have been going. curious to see the image of the one that PL'ed!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thx for posting the results. Too often we never get the end of the story.

• Options

I didn't get them True Viewed. I will post images when i get the coins back. Thanks for all the comments;!! Keoj

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the poor results, but the coin is beautiful!

• Options

First Two images are of the 64, Second two are of the 61 (the only one I got a PL on). I didn't post the 78-S. Those are my fingers about 6 inches away on the right side of the coin.

IMO - The 61 is DMPL both sides, the 64 was DMPL on the obverse, PL on the reverse, the 78-S (not shown) was PL both sides. Like I mentioned, tight on the attribution.

Sorry about the quality, trying show Proof depth is not easily done.

keoj

• Options

No worries....a learning process...i might try to argue the 64 up at some point. Its stunning but he 61 is better on both sides.....

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice PL MS61. Not DMPL but nice PL.

The other’s reverse seems to hold it back from PL.

Cool pieces.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report Joe. I was going to try a ‘77-P chopmark in 61 with glassy surfaces for the PL designation, but after your results I don’t think it’s even worth trying. They are holding the line pretty tight on these.

Also have a 76-S that is DMPL but it’s a 55 so not eligible.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you have a trust expert check them out before you sent them in? I've found with PLs the portrait etc. may be fully PL but the fields may hold them back.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s impossible to tell with cellphone pictures if they are PL. All I can say is they are both very nice looking coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file