Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Newp proof gold.

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finally got another one. Maybe I'll have the brains to KEEP this one.

:)

Comments

• Options
    fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome contrast. Is the reverse the same?

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

pre-33 gold is where it's at. anything with a Survival Estimate of 70 gets my attention. congrats

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

I love it! Many gold pieces are so rare, but there's just little demand. I'm glad that proof gold is not so overlooked now. Your piece is gorgeous! Hang on to her, I'm sure she will treat you well 👍

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:

@MFeld said:

@fivecents said:
    Awesome contrast. Is the reverse the same?

No, if I'm not mistaken, the reverse has an eagle and some different letters and words.

He's talking about CONTRAST, you troublemaker! >:)

B)

Believe it or not, I knew that.😉 That’s a very nice looking coin!

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

I'm.... tending....towards belief. Can anyone vouch for your experience with coins? :|

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    pre-33 gold is where it's at. anything with a Survival Estimate of 70 gets my attention. congrats

PCGS pop report shows only 13 in DCAM :)

• Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats, that coin has a lot of pop!

Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a Big Boy coin. Sweet !

• Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely. Great coin!

Proof coinage produced in the 1890s represents the height of the mint's craft IMO. They are not super rare (and stupid expensive) like earlier dates, but boy are they freaking pretty.

Nice buy!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo, Toppy. That is a super nice coin.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good lookin one @topstuf .... many brains would decide to keep it :) Congrats

• Options
    santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s a wonderful coin. Congratulations!

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it just me or has there recently been more proof gold available after a long dry spell?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a sweet proof gold coin.... Just something about proof gold that mesmerizes me....I like looking at it, and holding it (with nitrile gloves of course). Cheers, RickO

• Options
    IndulgerIndulger Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Very nice!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

many, many years ago a now-banned forum member claimed that all the Proof Gold was being bought by Asians, perhaps this piece was recently re-patriated or missed back then.

I bet it really looks nice in-hand.

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Is it just me or has there recently been more proof gold available after a long dry spell?

I've been looking for a while. I first thought (based on a Redbook image) that I wanted a Type 1 gold dollar.
    Welp, that didn't last long. :o:D

After I started shopping a while ago, I did notice quite a few gold dollars and they "sore tempted" me. Same with the quarter eagles. Came VERY close on some of those. Actually very VERY close.

I discussed it with a few people and we all had the same predilection for ... size. Yeah, size ...costs... in proof gold, but it also "matters." ;)

I didn't want to tie up the loot for a ten and a twenty ....may.... be in the future. Maybe. ;)B)

But, taking all into consideration and looking at the fives, I concentrated on those as they are a tad larger than the quarter eagles and I guess just have more "presence" in the box.

When I started the search for a half eagle, the field narrowed quickly. Based on image and a seller description that the "technical" grade was eclipsed by this coin (and it had the ......b e a n.... :D ) so I ordered it. I am amazed by it! It has that classic "orange peel" proof field surfaces and really does "pop."

I did have one before.

Also a 63 DCAM but so long ago that the prices hadn't really done anything. As an example, when I got it, it was comparable to a Chain Cent in lower grade. ANYHOW..... I did sell that one. It had VERY minor haze but not that bad. The haze was what tempered my appreciation.

This one has way more eye appeal and it will be a keeper.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s awesome!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file