Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Exonumia From the $1 Bucket

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the B&M's here that I frequent has a big tub of 'miscellaneous numismatic items' for $1.00 each. It's mostly modern stuff but I have gotten a few nice pieces from it. I spent more time than I usually do looking through it, and found these two pieces at the bottom of the bucket. The first is an E. Lyon Magnetic Powder token from the Hard Times era. It is about the size of a nickel and is gilt (?) brass with a reeded edge. The other is a George Washington token, with a bust of Washington on the obverse and 'PATER PATRIE' (Father of the Country) above. The reverse has a wreath and 'A MEMORIAL OF THE WASHINGTON CABINET MAY 1859'. It is slightly smaller than the Lyon token but is much thicker.

Can anyone provide any additional information on these? I didn't find a lot of info on the internet about them. I'd also like to know if they're real. Thanks in advance!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pieces of history! Can't go wrong at those prices!

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second one is a modern restrike of a US Mint medal, Julian MT-22. Nice examples (of the restrike) show up fairly often on eBay in the $10 range. Originals might sell in the $100 range.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds.... especially in the dollar bin....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow zero no the Lyon token!

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tokenpro said:
    Both are real but the GW medalette is a 20th Century strike as noted above.

The E. Lyon token is one of six or seven different varieties issued by this New York City merchant in the 1850's. It is a merchant token (more commonly referred to as a Miller store card named after Donald Miller whose catalog of the 1845 - 1860 era tokens is the standard reference) rather than a Hard Times era token (1832-1844).

All of the Lyons varieties are among the most common Miller store cards both in circulated and uncirculated condition. All the varieties catalog $10 in xf in Rulau's compilation catalog and should bring 50% to 100% more in that condition on eBay so your venture to the bottom of the box was well worthwhile. The correct catalog number is Miller NY-510, brass, 22mm and it was struck by Scovill of Waterbury, Ct.

From the Rulau catalog: "Emanuel Lyon is listed as a chemist and inventor and maker of rat poisons in the 1849 directory, located at 420 Broadway. His advertisement in that directory claims other distinctions, including Magnetic Powders for destroying bedbugs, cockroaches, fleas, flies, etc."

Great info- thank you!!

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file