Home U.S. Coin Forum

What do you think of this 1861 Confederate half?

Having trouble determining whether this half is genuine or not, and if it is what it would grade at

What do y'all think of this half? Is it genuine? and if so what grade?
If not genuine what is the giveaway?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Confederate-Half-Dollar-1861/233251433683?hash=item364ede6cd3:g:zWgAAOSwaHtc~A7A

Comments

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obvious fake.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you’ve pointed forum members to enough such EBay listings to indicate you know the coin is an obvious counterfeit.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2019 3:03PM

I think that it is way over priced. It might worth a dollar as a conversation piece. It's one of many cheap knock-offs that have been made over the years.

There are four original pieces which have all been located and are sitting in collections. The last one was "returned from the wild" in the late 1950s at a New York City coin show. That led to a court trial. Word was that was the piece Jefferson Davis was carrying when he was captured by Union forces.

Here is one of the "Scott Restrikes." These were made from 500, 1861-O half dollars that had their reverses planed off and overstruck with the Confederate die. These are pretty pricey these days depending upon the condition.

That is "the Readers' Digest" version. Others might fill in more of the blanks. As for me it's headed toward dinner time. :p

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not one of the 4 real ones, nor one of the 500 restrikes. Poorly made counterfeit.

thefinn
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bogus

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fakey McFakerface

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a crudely cast pot metal replica sold as a souvenir at a Civil War gift shop to tourists and not intended to fool collectors.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90

What do you collect? If you have access to a camera, I'd like to see some of your collection rather than links to crudely made Ebay fakes.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller has 0 feedback and he's selling something like this on eBay? That tells you all you need to know.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just based on the pictures alone, it is a non-starter....would not even consider a comment to the seller. Cheers, RickO

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll pass !!! :'(

Timbuk3

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file