Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What do you think of this Morgan?

levigarrett101levigarrett101 Posts: 62
edited August 23, 2019 9:27AM in U.S. Coin Forum

This thing is amazing.... I have not seen one like it. I have been on the treasure hunt for the 1883 o branch mint proof. Before I hear about how they don’t exist or it’s impossible, I just want to say please keep negative comments to yourself. It’s a hobby. Just let people do what they enjoy. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cheek damage will hold that one back. First place you look.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try not to be negative. I o:) don't think someone tried to remove the beautiful black area on the reverse of your coin.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you seen enough other high end examples of this date to completely evaluate how your amazing this example compares to others that exist?

I see it as being very attractive but the 1883-O has several breath taking known examples. And while this one is very attractive, there are others that would grade higher. It is not a branch mint proof. Clearly PL and may DMPL.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very common coin, hundreds of thousands exist nicer.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64 PL is my guess.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is an attractive Morgan.... nice mirrors.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2019 1:12PM

@Smudge said:
    The cheek damage will hold that one back. First place you look.

As Bower's used to say you have to take the coin "on balance" the over all eye appeal. Rims give it away as not being a branch mint proof and the spot on the reverse is not to my liking, the obverse "prime focal area" is quantified by "Smudge"

What do I think? I think it's a $45. coin, with really nice mirrors. That's what I think, others may think different.

P.S. you want "Frost" you got to put up with that look at the coin on "balance"

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice but common too. It is an O/O variety it appears. Probably no added value but neat anyway. I think a 63PL is proper. When looking for a proof, any proof, I look at the rims. If they are squared and even all around, front and back then I get excited. Otherwise it is just a nice business strike. Just my take.
    bob :)
    Look at the rims on this proof:

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

I will defer to Fred to streamline the process.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    I will defer to Fred to streamline the process.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

What do you figure it’s worth?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options

Icoopie

Did you look at my prior comments and Fred Weinberg's comments?

It seems to be self explanatory...

Readers Digest Condensed Version:

I think the coin is attractive but the 1883-O is common and there are many surviving examples that exceed the quality of the coin that is the subject of this thread. It is not a branch mint proof. Weinberg and I agree it is not a proof. My comment about deferring to Fred in part is in humor and in part that Fred is a well known and respected numismatist. Folks here will listen to Fred before they listen to me.

That should clarify things for you

• Options

Depends on whether it is a PL or a DMPL

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Icoopie

I think the coin is attractive but the 1883-O is common and there are many surviving examples that exceed the quality of the coin that is the subject of this thread. It is not a branch mint proof. Weinberg and I agree it is not a proof. My comment about deferring to Fred in part is in humor and in part that Fred is a well known and respected numismatist. Folks here will listen to Fred before they listen to me.

That should clarify things for you

@coinkat said:
    Icoopie

Yes I read it and was interested in the ops opinion.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

coinkat, thanks for the defense. (seriously)

I was quite scared and intimidated to
    be called an unhappy troll. Ha Ha. I feel better now.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options

Fred...

You are one numismatist that does not need a defense. I appreciate your commentary here and what you have done for numismatics in general... Many thanks for your efforts.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I submitted it would come back in a body bag as I don't have details coins slabbed.
    Wiped on one side and cleaned on the other.

• Options

LindeDad... One is just unable to rule out that possibility. Because this has PL to possibly DMPL surfaces, one would expect to see the presence of greater hairlines had it been wiped. So this may turn out to be about camera angles... We don't know what we don't know.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now THAT's negative !

How dare you ?

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

F.W. the U.T. :D

• Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks PL

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say 64PL likely, assuming no hidden problem not visible. Nice and frosty.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2019 2:13PM

@lkenefic said:
    I'm perplexed... the thread title is "what do you think" and then I'm supposed to "keep negative comments to [my]self"...

Yes, it's like a song from the Broadway production of the "The Whiz" where the Wicked Witch of the West sings, "I Don't Wana Hear no Bad News." Okay. You won't hear no bad news from me. In fact you won't hear any news from me concerning this coin. >:)

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,969 ✭✭✭✭✭

Branch mint proof?
    Paging @RogerB

• Options

Instead of seeking opinions, consider submitting to the TPG company of your choice and post the submission results.

Without having the opportunity to see it in hand, it appears that from the posted images that a grade of 64 PL or DMPL is reasonable

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a PL business strike Morgan. Some nice frost. No offense intended!

• Options

@BillJones said:

@lkenefic said:
    I'm perplexed... the thread title is "what do you think" and then I'm supposed to "keep negative comments to [my]self"...

Yes, it's like a song from the Broadway production of the "The Whiz" where the Wicked Witch of the West sings, "I Don't Wana Hear no Bad News." Okay. You won't hear no bad news from me. In fact you won't hear any news from me concerning this coin. >:)

Hmmm... I thought she was singing "I don't wanna wear no bad shoes"...

Lol

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 10:50PM

@levigarrett101 said:
    . It’s a hobby. Just let people do what they enjoy. Thank

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

A kinda cool 1883-O of mine.....

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options

@levigarrett101 said:
    No comments on the pics of the rim that I posted? Lol. Just looking for educational responses. Not ignorant statements. Forums resemble the situation of when someone posts a first of their first fish ever and those few out there feel the need to bash or leave negative remarks. Who cares how smart you think you are. This site is for education. Not a mine is bigger contest. Stick to the OP’s questions. Facts are king. Not biased opinions from someone who can’t step away from their computer........

It is a PL Morgan. It is NOT a branch mint proof, even if you believe in such things. It may not even DMPL, hard to tell from photos.

It is one of thousands of PL Morgan's not a 1 in a million coin

You want educational? Go to heritage and look at all the PL and DMPL coins in their archive. Yours does not look different than those.

• Options

@levigarrett101 said:
    No comments on the pics of the rim that I posted? Lol. Just looking for educational responses. Not ignorant statements. Forums resemble the situation of when someone posts a first of their first fish ever and those few out there feel the need to bash or leave negative remarks. Who cares how smart you think you are. This site is for education. Not a mine is bigger contest. Stick to the OP’s questions. Facts are king. Not biased opinions from someone who can’t step away from their computer........

I see nothing special about the rim. If you look at the heritage photo you posted which, i'm guessing is a proof, it has much square room features. Look at the denticle separation.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on your find, and also to you Luxor

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2019 11:33AM

@levigarrett101 said:
    No comments on the pics of the rim that I posted? Lol. Just looking for educational responses. Not ignorant statements. Forums resemble the situation of when someone posts a first of their first fish ever and those few out there feel the need to bash or leave negative remarks. Who cares how smart you think you are. This site is for education. Not a mine is bigger contest. Stick to the OP’s questions.FACTS are king. Not biased opinions from someone who can’t step away from their computer........

It appears that you <3 can't handle the "FACTS!"

However, at least you know your limitations: "Those rims look square and raised to me...but hell what does a guy like me know/" That is a very excellent quality to possess that is lacking in many folks.

I'll suggest that you keep asking questions and don't comment on the knowledge of the folks trying VERY HARD to answer them. ALL OF US have much better places to post or be.

PS IMO, it is lucky for you that most of us do not step away from our computer or his discussion.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice, hammered PL with some issues. I would say 63PL. Nice coin.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file