Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1885-CC Morgan Dollar - Decrease CDN Bid

Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 22, 2019 11:43AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Bid for this issue decreased (Aug 2019 CDN) to $600 in 64 and $1400 in 66. It’s cac 66 bid remained at $1600 / and CAC CPG$2000.

Is this decrease in collectors or some other market factor. I have regarded this issue as a solid investment coin. Slow market erosion?

Future Outlook for it? Should one be buyer or seller?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Bid for this issue decreased (Aug 2019 CDN) to $600 in 64 and $1400 in 66. It’s cac 66 bid remained at $1600.

Is this decrease in collectors or some other market factor. I have regarded this issue as a solid investment coin. Slow market erosion?

Future Outlook for it? Should one be buyer or seller?

These are the kind of little "canaries" that make me wonder about the entire "coal mine". [See my thread on declining Mint customer base.]

Because I'm obsessive about it, consider the stamp market and Zeppelins. The went from $5000 to $1000 in 20 years. A nice set of Zepps was a cornerstone midlevel purchase of a relatively scarce issue that every "good collection" needed to have. They were a bargain at $4000, and at $3000 and at $2000...now, I only buy them at $800 to flip for $1000 and I wouldn't dare hold a set hoping for a rebound.

Keep in mind that the TOTAL NUMBER of all 3 stamp types was only 227,000 making for less than 100,000 possible Zeppelin sets against 228,000 1885-CC Morgans, 65% of which were GSA (according to NGC).

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the canaries weakening I wonder about the coal mine.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lower prices would invite a wave of new collectors. Many have been priced out of the market.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a collector, I find the hobby active and interesting....Just look at most show reports. If I were a dealer, or a seller, my outlook might me different....But I am not...Just a happy collector. ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 12:16PM

The 1885-CC dollar is really pretty common in MS-64 to 66. It's actually scarce in the circualted grades. It's easy to see why the price has dropped.

A great many Morgan Dollar date and mint mark combinations are common. It's just that a lot of collectors have chased them. If they stop chasing, the prices can go down pretty fast.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file