Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

SB HK auction August 2019

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

This auction breaks record again on price. It is fun to bid and watch the price go high. I bid on 87 items but only get few. The price is just way to high on many coins. As I said before China coin price just goes higher year after year. It is fun to collect and invest on china pre 1949 coins. Some of the items I thought I would get them for sure but I was wrong, I got out bid. I bid on a xf40 fatman for 13k plus 20% fee and got outbid. I also bid on the same fatman au details for 10k and got out bid. Wow! Two years ago I bought a 1903 au details chihli for 900 from a member here. I bid 1900 plus fee for the same au details on Sb but got outbid. Unbelievable!

Comments

• Options

A 1918 ms64 fatman pcgs ms64 sold for 45,600.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yet lot 52122 didn’t sell.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

British trade dollars are going nuts, there, too.

• Options

As usual most of the NGC coin got no respect.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is your take on that? From the pictures, the second looks at least the equal of the first. Says I who knows nothing of Chinese coins....

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

If the Chinese don't want the NGC coin, I'll take it haha.

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2019 8:14PM

@7Jaguars said:
    What is your take on that? From the pictures, the second looks at least the equal of the first. Says I who knows nothing of Chinese coins....

Buyer don’t like NGC coin so they discounted NGC coin and chase pcgs coin.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jt88 said:

@7Jaguars said:

Sounds like a business opportunity.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like some basic arbitrage

• Options

What is interested to know is RMB to USD is very low (7.04 to one dollar at the time), so it made the coin cost more for the China buyers since SB use USD for the price.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2019 12:42PM

@Stork said:

@jt88 said:

@7Jaguars said:

Sounds like a business opportunity.

Sure, asked NGC coin seller how painful to see their coin can't sell on ebay or sell at discount while same PCGS coin sold very fast. I sold all my 1933 PCGS coin while still have some NGC waiting for buyer to take the opportunity to buy. LOL. Buying coin is some kind of like buying stock, you always want to buy the leader not the secondary stock.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

But of course there is convertibility. In some series, it is just the opposite.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better yet buy the NGC and cross them. If you have the eye to know what PCGS likes vs NGC. There are nuances and many are adept at playing that 'crackout' game.

• Options

Pcgs is very tough on china coin. Many people play this game already. Some of the coin I have to cross two or three times in order to cross. I have a au detail coin that I bought from ha at the high of the market in 2011 for over 6k. I crossed it two times, once I got it cross I sold it for one k profit. Maybe we should have a thread to discuss how to cross from NGC to pcgs.