Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1951wheaties premium - Jack Kramer!

2»

Comments

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly, I was not the winning bidder on any of the cards listed. I had set low bids on a few of them but won none of them.

Maybe the set is more popular than I’ve given it credit for and the hammer price on all of them was stronger than I would have thought in just about every case (though there’s not much love for Bob Lemon). While those aren’t scans, Mantle looked like a 1.5-2.5 and the rest were probably strong 4s/weak 5s. I think the Rizzuto and Hogan were probably upgrades for my set but prices were too high for me...

... so the hunt continues for a little longer.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news. I really wanted to see you get that Kramer. I will keep my eyes open.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm betting Kyle picked up the Hogan.

That was a ridiculously high price for the Mantle considering how it would grade based on there being paper loss on the front side. Compared with other prior sales, that one doesn't make much sense.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    I'm betting Kyle picked up the Hogan.

That was a ridiculously high price for the Mantle considering how it would grade based on there being paper loss on the front side. Compared with other prior sales, that one doesn't make much sense.

Those results are fairly consistent with others that I have seen on almost every card. Sure, the Mantle price was strong but given its eye appeal, it’s sort of undeniable authenticity (offering 11/12 from the set works for me) and the fact that there are more Mickey Mantle Master Set builders than there are copies of the card, it’s not altogether surprising that it went for slightly over 1K. I agree that the grade on that is up for debate but it’s got pretty nice corners and looks very clean. I could see that card drawing a 2 or 2.5 based on that bit of non text paper loss being the only blemish. Cards with comparable grades have gone for that much (and lower) but some of the 1, 2 and Auth cards did not present nearly as well. Just my two cents; I feel the hammer prices were reflective of the most recent prices paid around last summer/fall.

Obviously, the Kramer is rare and therefore hard to tell but the last one sold at auction around 6-7 years ago for around 170.

Looks like these cards will all have new homes and while I don’t know because of the private bidding, I am pretty confident saying that these auctions were legitimate.

That is pretty tremendous news as that means the set does have a few more collectors than I originally thought. I still think it’s mostly for Master Sets but it’s pretty cool either way to see these guys getting some love.

Good stuff

Now, I want to ask - anybody win any?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited September 2, 2019 2:51PM

@LarkinCollector said:

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    So did you win it??

I won one of them ;) No, it wasn't the Kramer.

That’s fantastic. I bet I know which. ;)

And, I hear they grade them now...

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the value of the Kramer in that condition?

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    What's the value of the Kramer in that condition?

Mike,

A fellow board member got me the hammer price from the last one to go at auction on eBay (around 6-7 years ago for call it $175) and it was in similar shape to the one that went this morning.

Old one

One from today

Tim

• Options

By the way, I put the information I got from Calvin at The Ball Park in my other thread (directly), for those following along. It’s a rather significant development for me in my quest for information.

Click the link in my sig line...

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

A fellow board member got me the hammer price from the last one to go at auction on eBay (around 6-7 years ago for call it $175) and it was in similar shape to the one that went this morning.

Good for you for having the restraint to pass on this one.

Another will be down the road buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

Good for you for having the restraint to pass on this one.

Another will be down the road buddy.

I totally see passing on it if you were concerned about shenanigans...but money wise it doesn’t seem like it went that crazy.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't something you want to do with everybody watching. You want to be out in the bush, alone, just you vs. the Kramer in its own natural habitat. Facing it down in a battle of wills with nothing but your Paul O'Neil velcro wallet and nearly-maxed out MasterCard by your side. When the dust settles, you emerge victorious and announce your kill on your own terms for all to see. Then you hang the Kramer above your over-sized fireplace where you can look at it while you read Phil Rizzuto's biography to your grandchildren.

Arthur

• Options

Boy, do I like the sound of a Paul O’Neill velcro wallet!

• Options

There is a 1951 Wheaties Premium Mickey Mantle PSA 9 on Ebay right now, BIN $18,500.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    There is a 1951 Wheaties Premium Mickey Mantle PSA 9 on Ebay right now, BIN $18,500.

Depending on which auction they won, that is anywhere from a 6-9K markup.

Oddly enough, it would be a mover on the Mantle Master Set so if a well heeled collector wanted to move into first, it’s an option.

For me, never in a million years.

• Options

6-9k markup. That's insane.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    6-9k markup. That's insane.

Is it? 50% markup isn’t that much, especially if you can get it.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:

Guess you're not holding your breath waiting for @doubledragon to offer to buy this one for you, eh?

• Options

@countdouglas said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@doubledragon said:

Guess you're not holding your breath waiting for @doubledragon to offer to buy this one for you, eh?

$18,500? If doubledragon even thinks about it, his wife will use him as her own personal ironing board.