Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1951wheaties premium - Jack Kramer!

@1951WheatiesPremium, not sure if you saw but there’s a 1951 Wheaties Jack Kramer up for auction right now on eBay, in case you haven’t seen (but I’m sure you have 😊). That’s the one you’re looking for right?

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck 1951WheatiesPremium! I hope you get it. Do whatever it takes.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why god invented PMs.

Arthur

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

Well, seeing how almost everyone here knows he’s been looking for this card for a LONG time, I thought we could all root for him to win. Your dissatisfaction with this post has been noted.

• Options

Hopefully no one runs him up or tries to win it and hold him hostage. We can celebrate with him after he wins it.

Arthur

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:

Arthur

That was God? :)

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

I like how the auction features multiple pictures of the shop and owner for some reason

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell, I've already bid on it 10 times!! Hopefully I can buy it and sell it to him for twice what I pay!! ;)

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options

1951WheatiesPremium, do what you have to do in order to win that Jack Kramer. If you have to sell the house, the car, the whole kit and caboodle to pay for it, so be it, but win that Jack Kramer! Send the other bidders straight to hell!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Yes, I have seen it and I am grateful for the heads up yet I am concerned that exactly what @PROMETHIUS88 stated may happen. I’d be a fool not to be. Sadly, I will more than likely have to wait for the next one if that is the case. I do not have an unlimited card budget by any means. Most of what I pick up is done cheaply and this set has been no exception.

So, perhaps creating the thread with all the information about them will end up having been a mistake. It’s also possible that it was a mistake to ask others to keep an eye out for it. Maybe the profile is higher now or more people are interested in the set and I will have more competition for it.

I will say that this much is certain - I am really grateful to EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU IN THIS THREAD.

You see, you guys are what makes this hobby great. I don’t know a single one of you in real life other than maybe having been lucky enough to exchange a nice PM or a sports opinion or drool over all your nice cards. It’s just something I really enjoy these days so that’s the trade off?

I’m ok with it. In fact, I’d do it all again. So, I’ll bid what I am comfortable with and hope for the best. That’s it - the journey will end or continue with the Wheaties Premiums and that’s ok - either way. I’d really like to say I’m going to win at all costs but that’s not the case. I’ll get it for what I think it’s worth or someone who thinks it’s worth more will get it.

Thank you ALL.

This is a great place.

As a sort of post script...

I did reach out to the gentleman in the pictures you see after the Jack Kramer (the owner of The Ballpark card shop in Minnesota) but he was not really interested in an offer, preferring to let them go to auction. These are his items and his business so I completely understand. We did have a very nice back and forth and he - Calvin - was great to talk to, pretty easy to find off eBay and has perfect feedback and a great brick and mortar business that’s been around for over 30 years. He had some nice information that I’ll be adding to my thread soon, too. Perhaps I can get more information after the auctions end.

Calvin is one COOL DUDE! I have been in his shop and talked to him on many occasions.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure if the cat's out of the bag or not Tim.

This is not something that many of us are searching for - so let's hope you don't have to compete with someone with unlimited funds.

Best of luck buddy!

Mike
  • Options

I think we are all pulling for ya!!!

• Options

Private bidder IDs? I don't like this at all, Tim.

Arthur

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Private bidder IDs? I don't like this at all, Tim.

Arthur

Can you elaborate? Right here, rather than PM?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Private Bidder IDs are usually a sign of shenanigans, it allows shills greater anonymity.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Private Bidder IDs are usually a sign of shenanigans, it allows shills greater anonymity.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

You'll now have to bid: $100,000,000,000

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Private bidding, hidden feedback and bid retractions.

Am I missing anything?

Is there a good alternative to ebay?

Good luck on the Kramer!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Private bidding, hidden feedback and bid retractions.

Am I missing anything?

Is there a good alternative to ebay?

Good luck on the Kramer!

Appreciate the thoughts, comments, warnings and well wishes, everyone.

Expectations and interest have been lowered. Significantly. Frankly, I’m fairly certain the winning bid will no longer belong to me. And as mentioned prior, that’s ok with me. Maybe I’m even better off, as I know I’ll be very sad that I haven’t a reason to look for them anymore. It’s happened before when I have landed rare items. I like the hunt as much as the kill. Probably more.

Bottom line - There’s always another copy; I believed this one would surface (below, cause what’s a thread without pictures) and I believe the next one will, too.

@JoeBanzai

Yes, the good alternative to eBay would be if someone could convince him to sell it at a price. Sadly, I have no such connections and that ship has likely sailed.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Literally, every single item he has for sale that has a bid is by a private bidder. Is that something that can be set up by the seller, or is it a pretty clear sign that while it may say No Reserve, they are working to get a specific price?

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options

@vintagefun said:
    Literally, every single item he has for sale that has a bid is by a private bidder. Is that something that can be set up by the seller, or is it a pretty clear sign that while it may say No Reserve, they are working to get a specific price?

In so far as I know, there are legitimate purposes to allow for private bidding. However, as other posters have mentioned, it can be used for the purposes of concealment as well to be able to bid up an item. That becomes even more likely when there are retractions - the person is trying to inch up toward a max bid without going over. Assures a ‘floor’ of the highest possible price.

I did not notice the private bidder aspect. I appreciate that heads up very much.

caveat emptor

• Options
    edited August 21, 2019 1:44PM

Most of the sales in the past 6 months were to 1xxxc or rxxxk. All of the past sales with feedback are also exclusively private bidders. Some even have feedback where there were no bids.

• Options

To be completely fair, I’m not saying that the latter nefarious aspect presented above is what is happening in this case.

However, I’m not going to be extorted or held hostage over a card. Ever. I don’t collect that way. I’m a bargain hunter. I like fair prices and it’s my job to know what’s fair. I make an offer and I leave it at that. I do not tell people the flaws in a card I want. I do not tell them their prices suck. I don’t begrudge anyone how they price their stuff. Especially a guy running a brick and mortar for 30+ years. I like the hobby. I like the stuff. I like the people.

I tell you what, though. You want to (and you can) help me get some good karma?

Go give $5 bucks to your favorite charity.

Red Cross. House of Worship bucket. Food bank. Keep it local. Keep it cheap.

Wish me luck

• Options

Wheaties I totally agree. While I generally know enough about the items I collect, I’m constantly learning about eBay. This private bidder thing is new to me and curiosity caused me to dig in a bit. I’m not sure what it means but I am curious to understand more.

• Options

There's definitely going to be another copy. And the good thing about that copy is that you won't feel like you just got diddled by Father Murphy after you buy it.

Arthur

• Options

@vintagefun said:

In so far as I know, there are legitimate purposes to allow for private bidding. However, as other posters have mentioned, it can be used for the purposes of concealment as well to be able to bid up an item. That becomes even more likely when there are retractions - the person is trying to inch up toward a max bid without going over. Assures a ‘floor’ of the highest possible price.

I did not notice the private bidder aspect. I appreciate that heads up very much.

caveat emptor

Is there a way to see retractions with private bidders?

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

I bid just to see if my user name would appear or PRivate etc...... you can see the results. What are the odds that 11 bidders that all wanted to be private want this card. I think it is being bid up to a certain $$$$.

• Options

I'll tell you what, when the time comes for the auction to end, I'll put $30.00 into your Paypal account. It isn't much, but it could help a little. I know you have all of the master set of this series except the Jack Kramer, so I figure I can help give a little extra push. You don't have to pay it back. It will be for the love of the hobby.

• Options

1959...if you bid on the Kramer it shows you as private too.

• Options

I'm serious 1951 WheatiesPremium, if you need a little extra push, I will put $30.00 into your Paypal account when the time comes for the auction to end. I would like to see you win this auction. You don't have to pay it back. I'd like to help if I can. I know it isn't much, but every little bit helps.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm serious 1951 WheatiesPremium, if you need a little extra push, I will put $30.00 into your Paypal account when the time comes for the auction to end. I would like to see you win this auction. You don't have to pay it back. I'd like to help if I can. I know it isn't much, but every little bit helps.

So kind to make the offer; Id rather see it go to the next Joe Louis. There’s a cheap Propagandas Montiel ($128) on eBay as we speak!!!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

So kind to make the offer; Id rather see it go to the next Joe Louis. There’s a cheap Propagandas Montiel ($128) on eBay as we speak!!!

Yes, I have seen that Propagandas Montiel. I'm currently working on getting a rare Joe Louis card I have been after for a while, but if the propagandas is there next month, I will probably grab it. If you need my help on this, just let me know.

• Options

@1959 said:
    I bid just to see if my user name would appear or PRivate etc...... you can see the results. What are the odds that 11 bidders that all wanted to be private want this card. I think it is being bid up to a certain $$$$.

@vintagefun said:
    Wheaties I totally agree. While I generally know enough about the items I collect, I’m constantly learning about eBay. This private bidder thing is new to me and curiosity caused me to dig in a bit. I’m not sure what it means but I am curious to understand more.

That’s why this place (and net54 and blowout) are great places: the shared information and friends looking out for each other. These posts, a couple dozen PMs - it’s all so nice of everyone and very much appreciated.

Thanks again, fellas.

• Options

OF MAJOR IMPORTANCE

I’d also like to reiterate that simply because it’s private does not mean shenanigans are in play. He’s got lots of deals on eBay and a 30 year store; that says quite a bit in and of itself.

Please consider this before assuming the worst and for your own enjoyment, it’s worth it to check out his other inventory. He’s got some other really nice items - the Worch Cigar items (Gehrig is gorgeous and drool inducing and miles away from me forever by price) alone are totally worth viewing - as well as other nice stuff.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2019 8:03PM

I have completed a few transactions on ebay with similar private bidder settings. While I was skeptical at first, I just stuck to my snipe price. Win or not, I would not overpay. Won a couple, sale went fine.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hope you are able to win it. Another collector pulling for you!!! Good luck.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    I really hope you are able to win it. Another collector pulling for you!!! Good luck.

Thanks but at this point there’s a 99% chance this card ends up with someone else. I don’t like the vibe I’m getting...

Now, I’ve followed the sales for this set for a long time (graded and raw). I have never seen this: Mantle is always the highest in terms of price and number of bids from start to finish. For obvious reasons and with no exceptions.

Lastly, I have had my thread up on the set with almost 2,000 views where I beg others who collect the set to come forward - to say hi or for information and...

I could go on but I won’t bore you guys. I’ve figured out I’m like the guy who collects the Three Stooges card.

I’m the One Stooge.

:(;)B)

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

It must be set up by the seller. When I bring up bids it shows "private bidder" except my bid (60.00) is in my name. ( my web page only ) hummmm.....

• Options

Kind of a sad thread now. Let’s pick it up...

• Options
    edited August 22, 2019 6:33PM

Or maybe...

• Options

I also like...

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 2:20AM

It's times like this that I wish I had a bigger card budget, because if I did, I would buy the Jack Kramer for you, and not even think twice about it. You've shown a lot of class throughout this.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    It's times like this that I wish I had a bigger card budget, because if I did, I would buy the Jack Kramer for you, and not even think twice about it. You've shown a lot of class throughout this.

Thank you - he was able to provide me with some good information so it’s not like it’s a total loss.

And now I get to keep hunting for it; after all, while a true white whale surfaces, it also gets away a few times. I’ll catch him one day.

• Options

Yeah, there's something rotten in Denmark with this listing. I'm not saying it's necessarily the seller but I wouldn't touch this just on principle. That card is sitting at $17.50 right now under normal circumstances.

Arthur

• Options

Rizzuto at nearly double the Mantle too.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2019 4:08PM

I have had my fair share of disappointments in the Joe Louis white whale world. I have lost his 1937 Globo gum card not once, but twice. I still wish I had a bigger budget, because I would buy the Kramer for you if I did. I truly hope you get this White Whale someday.

• Options

Final results of auctions ending about 5 minutes ago...

• Options

So did you win it??

• Options
    edited August 26, 2019 8:35AM

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    So did you win it??

I won one of them ;) No, it wasn't the Kramer.