Home Precious Metals
Options

With the recent spike in metals...

I was hoping to see more participation and activity and interest regarding precious metals, but it seems to be lacking this time around compared to the early 2010's spike.

Have you noticed any increased interest?

Comments

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of sellers few buyers. At least on the dealer side it seems that way. We didnt bring any 90% to the ANA and left with quite a few bags.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's a little story about Jack and Diane...

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2019 7:40PM

All the people lured into metals in the 2010-2011 runup now want out. Every dollar gold rises, a thousand more people will want to sell, not buy.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:
    All the people lured into metals in the 2010-2011 runup now want out. Every dollar gold rises, a thousand more people will want to sell, not buy.

Yet rising prices tell us there are more buyers than sellers

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

No.rising prices mean more ounces bought than sold.

You do understand the distinction.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go again... buy high, sell low.... :D Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Baley said:
    No.rising prices mean more ounces bought than sold.

You do understand the distinction.

Actually, no. The paper futures markets move prices. You and me buying gold at the local coin store mean nothing.

• Options

@derryb said:

@ARCO said:

It is the paper markets, not plumber joe types rushing to the coin stores because they read that gold prices were rising.

• Options

Yes, the paper market is the major mover.... but Joe plumber sees it and buys some... Not a market mover, but a lot of bullion is sold this way. Cheers, RickO

• Options

I didn't say physical ounces.

• Options

@ARCO said:

@derryb said:

@ARCO said:

It is the paper markets, not plumber joe types rushing to the coin stores because they read that gold prices were rising.

And you were the one talking about people lured in that now want out. Were you referring to the big brokerages and their wealthy, sophisticated clients?

• Options

@Baley said:

And you were the one talking about people lured in that now want out. Were you referring to the big brokerages and their wealthy, sophisticated clients?

Yes, people who bought in the mania of 2010-2011 want out. I was referring to everyday people, who went and bought gold and silver when it was peaking. Where did you get the "brokerages, wealthy or sophisticated clients" from? Not my words.

If I recall Baley, you yourself have lamented about buying high and being stuck in metals. That has changed?

• Options

Nope, did most of my buying 1999-2004, with stock market profits.

• Options
    edited August 19, 2019 3:20PM

I've lamented not selling every damned ounce in 2011, and not putting a pool in the backyard with some of the money

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Skrill90 said:
    I was hoping to see more participation and activity and interest regarding precious metals, but it seems to be lacking this time around compared to the early 2010's spike.

Most of us who went through the 2010-2012 run up and even the most recent one with all the hype, have learned to ignore all the hoopla along with the current round of "forum cheerleaders"..

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@Skrill90 said:

Most of us who went through the 2010-2012 run up and even the most recent one with all the hype, have learned to ignore all the hoopla along with the current round of "forum cheerleaders"..

Yea pretty soon this hallowed ground will be the place they want to do brain research on all the ol cheerleaders, much like the nfl...,

keceph `anah
  • Options
    zski123zski123 Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

The run up isn't US driven which is why we don't feel it in the US physical market demand. Capital flight out of China and most of Europe is the cause. Negative rates may be our future as well. In that case, we'll see a very different attitude. No reason to unload now anyway.

• Options

If an individual needed funds for some special reason, it would certainly be a good time to sell....holding for the top of the market has lost money for many people. Should be an interesting time in PM's for a while....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ARCO said:

@derryb said:

@ARCO said:

Plumber Joe is ignorant of economic issues and worldwide debt. Let him stick with his pipes.

• Options
    Skrill90Skrill90 Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

@Baley said:
    I've lamented not selling every damned ounce in 2011, and not putting a pool in the backyard with some of the money

I liquidated all my silver during the 2010-11 sunup. Averaged about $43 an ounce sold with an average purchase price of $18 an ounce. Only regret wasn't buying and selling more. That money changed my life at the time.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2019 8:52PM

@topstuf said:

Plumber Joe is ignorant of economic issues and worldwide debt. Let him stick with his pipes.

I went in to Monarch Coin in SLC right when gold was first crashing the gates at $1500. I was selling, most others were buying. I overheard the reps explaining about gold bullion to a few ignorant, but earnest prospects. "These are called Eagles, those are called Buffalos, they have one ounce of gold."

Any person that doesn't know every damned thing about gold (or silver) bullion, purity, weights, spreads, taxation, bullion types and issuers when they go to buy is a "plumber joe".