Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Hall Mint Visit

As part of our family trip to Austria, we passed by the historic Hall Mint, home of the first GuldenGroschen (Guldiner, or commonly used denomination, Taler. This novel concept of issuing crown size silver coins, led to smoother, global, commerce as a basis for trade.

The place has much potential, yet disappointing in terms of the curatorial effort in explaining the process and impact to the visitor and navigating the site. If this was in the US, they would make much more of it.

Some more info on my site - https://taleruniverse.com/the-taler/minting-techniques/

I did enjoy seeing the presses - Screw and roller. My daughter was able to strike a coin using a screw press which was cool.

A few images:

Screw press

A few Talers minted there

Roller press (Still functional)!

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Great post! I love to see those things!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could have helped yourself to those trial Thalers!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter was able to strike a coin using a screw press which was cool.

Did she get to keep it?

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

Well where’s the image? Mine is already SO bored by coins (and notes). Payback gentlemen for taking her on my shoulders to the coin club on Sundays when she was 3 !

Fantastic wooden construction, sounds like a great trip!

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar,

Thanks for a great post. It was visually both informative and interesting. As opportunity allows, I hope you continue to do these kinds of posts. Speaking for myself and hopefully some others, I find these to be both fun to read and write.

To the rest of us: I know folks are busy, but if you ever get the opportunity to do this kind of post, please do so. I would very much appreciate it.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks a lot @EVillageProwler - by the way here is the coin my daughter struck..

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

That screw press is awesome. I would like to slide a silver planchet in there and give it a spin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

That still seems like a very cool museum visit. I'd like to go myself. Those machines all look very well cared for.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Z -
    This thread has been running through my head for 2 weeks now. You have planted a seed for possible stops on a future visit to Germany. I know you had a similar post for a visit to Regensburg back in 2012 https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/849849/a-day-in-regensburg-bavaria

Maybe I need to plan a numismatic tour through NW Germany to see Osnabruck, Munster, Paderborn, and Cologne, and then swing south to visit Augsburg, Munich, Regensburg, and maybe Passau? I'm not sure how to sell that to my better half.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I wonder if that mint was any relation of mine way-back? (Hall)

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@worldcoinguy said:
    Z -
    This thread has been running through my head for 2 weeks now. You have planted a seed for possible stops on a future visit to Germany. I know you had a similar post for a visit to Regensburg back in 2012 https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/849849/a-day-in-regensburg-bavaria

Maybe I need to plan a numismatic tour through NW Germany to see Osnabruck, Munster, Paderborn, and Cologne, and then swing south to visit Augsburg, Munich, Regensburg, and maybe Passau? I'm not sure how to sell that to my better half.

You might also consider Kutna Hora in the Czech Republic. And the Hartz mountain region (cluasthal-Zellerfeld and Goslar) where much of the silver was mined for the Wildemann Thalers

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post.

I'd love to visit that mint building.
    I remember passing through Hall on a day we were on search for a prugeltorte maker in Wattens.