Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A Day in Regensburg, Bavaria

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
So as promised, I will try and document my brief visit. I arrived in Munich early in the morning last Sunday and from there passed by the hotel to drop off my suitcase and my business colleague from Munich was very kind in picking me up and driving to Regensburg, a bit over an hour drive. Weather was not great, cloudy and a bit cold which was unfortunate. Nevertheless, in spite of the advanced fatigue I felt, I was able to get a good feel for this small town situated on the Danube, which captures a broad part of European history. Images taken are mine, yet I added elements I believed are important for the reader, along with, of course, Talers !

I apologize in advance if this rolls more into the city tour and history vs. straight coin talk. Perhaps also the number of images included, yet my hope is that this helps grasp my day trip while seeing the numismatics which remarkably capture the city views. So here goes.

Regensburg (historically also Ratisbon, from Celtic Ratisbona, is a city in Bavaria, Germany. It is situated on the northernmost part of the Danube river at the geological crossroads of four distinct landscapes:
To the north and northeast lies the Bavarian Forest (Bayerischer Wald) with granite and gneiss mountains and wide forests. To the east and south-east is the fertile Danube plain (Gäuboden) which are highly cultivated loess plains. The south is dominated by the tertiary hill country (Tertiär-Hügelland), a continuation of alpine foothills. To the West is Franconian Jura (Fränkische Jura)

imageimage

When strolling through the city, one cannot avoid appreciating the state of preservation of the old city as well as its long history over many centuries. The first settlements in Regensburg date to the Stone Age. The Celtic name Radasbona was the oldest name given to a settlement near the present city. Around AD 90 the Romans built a fort there. In 179, the Roman fort Castra Regina ("fortress by the river Regen") was built for Legio III Italica during the reign of Emperor Marcus Aurelius It was an important camp on the most northern point of the Danube: it corresponds to what is today the core of Regensburg's Altstadt ("Old City") east of the Obere and Untere Bachgasse and West of the Schwanenplatz. It is believed that even in late Roman times it was the seat of a bishop, and St Boniface re-established the Bishopric of Regensburg in 739.

imageimage

It is also worth noting that the history of the Jews in Regensburg, Germany, reaches back over 1,000 years. The Jews of Regensburg are part of Bavarian Jewry; Regensburg was the capital of the Upper Palatinate and formerly a free city of the German empire. The great age of the Jewish community in this city is indicated by the tradition that a Jewish colony existed there before the common era; it is undoubtedly the oldest Jewish settlement in Bavaria of which any records exist. In 1096, on the way to the First Crusade, Peter the Hermit led a mob of Crusaders who attempted to force the mass conversion of the Jews of Regensburg and killed all those who resisted. The site of the Jewish synagogue is marked.

imageimage

In 1135–1146 a bridge across the Danube, the Stone Bridge, was built at Regensburg. The Stone Bridge, built 1135–1146, is a highlight of medieval bridge building.

Talers from the 18th century capture the bridge and church towers as they show today.

imageimage

The knights of the 2nd and 3rd crusade used it to cross the Danube on their way to the Holy Land. This bridge opened major international trade routes between Northern Europe and Venice, and this started Regensburg's golden age as a city of wealthy trading families. Regensburg became the cultural centre of southern Germany and was celebrated for its gold work and fabrics.

imageimage

And another Taler capturing the city view:

These fabulous Talers were minted in the local Mint (site location mentioned)

imageimage

The remains of the East Tower of Porta Praetoria from Ancient Roman times

In 1245 Regensburg became a Free Imperial City and was a trade centre before the shifting of trade routes in the late Middle Ages. At the end of the 15th century Regensburg became part of the Duchy of Bavaria in 1486, but its independence was restored by the Holy Roman Emperor in 1496.

The city civic coat of arms (keys) as depicted in the architecture around the city and a Taler.

From 1663 to 1806, the city was the permanent seat of the Imperial Diet of the Holy Roman Empire which became known as the Perpetual Diet of Regensburg. Thus Regensburg was one of the central towns of the Empire, attracting visitors in large numbers. In 1803 the city lost its status as a free city. It was handed over to the Archbishop of Mainz and Archchancellor of the Holy Roman Empire Carl von Dalberg in compensation for Mainz, which had become French under the terms of the Treaty of Lunéville in 1801.

The Dom (Cathedral) is a very interesting example of pure German Gothic and counts as the main work of Gothic architecture in Bavaria. It was founded in 1275 and completed in 1634, with the exception of the towers, which were finished in 1869. The interior contains numerous interesting monuments, including one of Peter Vischer's masterpieces. Adjoining the cloisters are two chapels of earlier date than the cathedral itself, one of which, known as the old cathedral, goes back perhaps to the 8th century.

imageimage
imageimage]

Another building worth mentioning is the Goliath House. This early Gothic Goliath House (in German: Goliathhaus) was built in the first half of the 13th century and documented in 1290 as belonging to the Tundorfer family. It takes its name from the huge painting on the facade of David and Goliath, painted by Melchior Bochsberger around 1570.

Between April 19 and April 23, 1809, Regensburg was the scene of the Battle of Ratisbon between forces commanded by the French Baron de Coutaud (the 65th Ligne) and retreating Austrian forces. It was eventually overrun after supplies and ammunition ran out. The city suffered severe damage during the fight with about 150 houses being burnt and others being looted.

Napoleon commanded the troops from this building in Regensburg.

During WWII, Regensburg had both a Messerschmitt Bf 109 aircraft factory and an oil refinery, and was bombed on August 17, 1943, by the Schweinfurt-Regensburg mission and on February 5, 1945, during the Oil Campaign of World War II. Unlike most other major German cities, Regensburg received little damage from the Allied strategic bombing campaign and the nearly intact medieval city centre is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The most important cultural loss was the Romanesque church of Obermünster, which was destroyed in a March 1945 air raid and never rebuilt (the belfry survived). Also Regensburg's slow economic recovery after the war ensured that historic buildings were not torn down to be replaced by newer ones. When the upswing reached Regensburg in the late 1960s, the mindset had turned in favour of preserving the heritage.

The Adler-Apotheke, located nearby the Regensburg Cathedral, was founded in 1610 and is one of the oldest Pharmacies in Regensburg. Even today you can take a look at the ancient interior and historical vessels.
Wealthy patrician families competed against each other to see who would be able to build the highest tower of the city. In 1260, the Goldener Turm (golden tower) was built on Wahlenstraße.
The Town Hall, dating in part from the 14th century, contains the rooms occupied by the Imperial diet from 1663 to 1806.

Pope Benedict XVI (professor of theology at the University of Regensburg from 1969 to 1977, and still classed as honorary professor; he was never a resident of the city of Regensburg, however his house in Pentling lies less than 1 kilometer from the city in the district of Regensburg, and he has been an honorary citizen since 2006)

Of course forgot the famous historical sausage joint - The Wurstkuchl on the Danube- Wurzhf

Originally the historical Wurstkuchl was a small building attached to the city wall which during the construction of the Old Stone Bridge between 1135 and 1146 was used as a building office. Once the bridge was finished – in those days celebrated as the eighth wonder of the world – the office was closed and the small building became the "Garküche auf dem Kranchen", a kitchen providing slow-simmered meals for crane workers. The kitchen´s customers were dockers and builders hence the name "Kranchen" a former word for crane. There were plenty of dockers in those days as the wealthy tra-ding patricians of the free city of Regensburg used the port intensively for centuries as place of trans-shipment for goods from all over the world. The hungry workers however mainly came from the building site of the Regensburg cathedral.

Comments

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Great write up. Thanks for sharing. Good to learn that most of the historic district survived the war and very interesting to see the roman remains. I'm always surprised that they reached so far north.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    oops, sorry for the double post!
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Z- nice post! I love the history and, of course, the talers. Thanks for sharing!

Folks - I nominate this for POTD.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    Great Post Zohar, and I second the POTD
  • Options
    Very nice! I especially like the pics of the cathederal. The details are amazing!

The stone bridge is impressive too, I could look at stuff like that all day!image
  • Options
    Link to short video from inside church

LINK
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Very good writeup Zohar.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice write up=

I'll accept a Bavarian thread without Beer Steins image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    CCC2010CCC2010 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your trip to this beautiful and historical place. Made me feel as if i have been there already... image
    References:Coinsarefun,DerryB,Bloodman,Zubie,Gerard,Skyman,Bestclser1,Lakesammman,Yellowkid,PerryHall,Piecesofme,HTubbs,grote15
    Coinfame,Kaelasdad,Type2,UNLVino,MICHAELDIXON
    Justacommeman,tydye,78saen,123cents,blue62vette,Segoja,Nibanny
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Thanks!!
    Becky
  • Options
    HussuloHussulo Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭
    Great pictures and write up Z, thanks!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite enjoyed this. Thanks, Z!
  • Options
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    totally cool write-up and pictures to go - aaand those darn talers lol - You outdo yourself over and over -

Zohar - that stone picture says East side in Hebrew? i.e. towards the Holy Temple (Wailing/Western Wall in Jerusalem, Israel) (Pronounced Mizrach in English)... is that on the outdoor space you posted or on a house of worship ?

Edited to correct directionimage
  • Options
    The Hebrew stated "East" in Hebrew facing the Temple in Jerusalem - posted on the outdoor space where the temple used to stand.

From Wiki - Mizrah (Hebrew: îæøç "east") is the direction that most Jews in the diaspora face during prayer, as Jewish law prescribes that Jews face the site of the Temple in Jerusalem during prayer, and most Jews in the diaspora live west of Jerusalem, so they face eastward during prayer. The word "mizrach" also refers to the wall of the synagogue that faces east, where seats are reserved for the rabbi and other dignitaries. In addition, "mizrach" refers to an ornamental wall plaque used to indicate the direction of prayer in Jewish homes.

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
    Very nice pictures and write up; thanks for posting!
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Very nice posts. It is post like this that open the world to the rest of us who will never have the chance to go to places like this. I live in upstate new york in the good old USA and will never get the chance to go abroad. We live vicariously through your travels. This is one of the reasons that many of us wanted to send Lord M to England. Great job. Keep up the great pictures.
    Olmanjon
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice post!

Oddly enough, I was in Frankfurt and Cologne (Köln) from March 1 to 7,
    both of which have some minor Roman ruins.

Cologne has a large Roman museum which was interesting to visit.

Cologne Cathedral Museum - Coins found during renovation

Cologne Roman Museum - Bust of Emperor Antoninus Pius

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great history with great photos. Thanks for sharing Zohar!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I love it! Great pictures of trip and coins as usual. I didn't realize you had so many regensburg pieces in your collection....is the 1773 taler new? I have some pictures of regensburg pieces that I will post shortly.....all posted in the past on this forum but on relevant to the current thread.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the history of these European cathedrals. I have not had the opportunity to visit this one in particular so wikipedia filled me in on the basic history. I do not see any mention of WWI or WWII damage to the structure.
    History of Regensburg cathedral

Here is a medal in my collection featuring this cathedral:

1763 Medal
    Sede vacante medal to commemorate the death of Johann Theodor of Bavaria, who was the Bishop of the diocese of Regensburg. The obverse features St Peter with a key and a fish. St Peter is surrounded by the 15 crests. The reverse features the Cathedral of St Peter in Regensburg, completed around 1520, which is considered to be the most significant gothic style structure in southern Germany. The medal is 55.5mm in size, identified as Zepernick 248.
    imageimage

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WCG that is a wild medal - I'd say you made a mistake of posting it as I believe Zohar is scheduling a midnite scoop of it.... tonite image
  • Options
    You guys should all look at Brent's Sede Vacante collection. It includes unique carefully picked pieces. Worth a look!