CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
  1. Star Wars
  2. Blazing Saddles
  3. GWTW (could only take 15 minutes)
  4. Jaws
  5. Field of Dreams

Comments

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is the finest movie ever produced. Sadly most everything else is a disappointment, though i did like Silence of the Lambs, Bronx Tale and the Batman with DeVito as the Penguin.

...and Dog Day Afternoon. I watch it at least once each summer.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Monty Python stuff was a couple of funny moments and a lot of yawn.
    Blazing Saddles was the same.
    Field of dreams was OK. Liked Burt Lancaster.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really hate some of the "franchise" movies. I have never seen any of the Batman, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Hobbit, DC Comics, Lord of the Rings or any of the like. on the other hand, I like the Bourne movies.

I actually read "Jaws" while I was doing three days in a local Jail before the movie was even thought of, but never followed the franchise. i much prefer it when the movie producers actually do an original idea and then just let it go. one that I enjoyed but the aggravated me with the follow-ups was "Jurrassic Park" because all they really did was take the original, mix up the scenes with a different location and different actors. how do people not see that and turn away??

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

ET
    Lord of Rings
    and basically any movie like these ...... I can't stand and don't understand people that do like them.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    I really hate some of the "franchise" movies. I have never seen any of the Batman, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Hobbit, DC Comics, Lord of the Rings or any of the like. on the other hand, I like the Bourne movies.

I actually read "Jaws" while I was doing three days in a local Jail before the movie was even thought of, but never followed the franchise. i much prefer it when the movie producers actually do an original idea and then just let it go. one that I enjoyed but the aggravated me with the follow-ups was "Jurrassic Park" because all they really did was take the original, mix up the scenes with a different location and different actors. how do people not see that and turn away??

WARNING VERY OFF TOPIC COMMENT

For whatever reason, as I read your comment, I immediately thought of the great poem by Bukowski entitled 'Let It Enfold You', a brief sample of which I will share:

**I hated holidays,
    babies, history,
    newspapers, museums,
    grandmothers,
    marriage, movies,
    spiders, garbagemen,
    english accents,spain,
    france,italy,walnuts and
    the color
    orange.
    algebra angred me,
    opera sickened me,
    charlie chaplin was a
    fake
    and flowers were for
    pansies. **

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t much care for any of the modern day Super Hero movies at all.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2019 1:32PM

The critics raved about “Chinatown” which started Jack Nicholson. I watched it twice and still didn’t care for it.

The first “Star Wars” was okay, but didn’t deserve the hype it got. In the series, I liked “Return of the Jedi” the best. Overall I’ll take “Star Trek” over “Star Wars” any day. The early “Star Trek” movies were like 45 minute TV show plots that they stretched to 90 minutes. The later ones were better. The recent "Star Treks," with the new young actors, have been really good.

Most anything that wins the Oscar these days is boring and overrated. The trouble is PC is more important to the people who do the voting than good film making. It’s one of the reasons why the Academy Awards show has become the most boring five hours on television. (At least it seems like five hours.)

The 1956 film, “High Society,” which was a remake of the 1940 “The Philadelphia Story” was so bad I needed a sign around my neck that read “Do not disturb” while I snoozed through it. The only good parts were when Louis Armstrong came on to sing.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a Wonderful Life
    The last LOTR movie (the first two were better, but still not great)
    Annie Hall
    Dr. Strangelove

I recognize that which movies one likes or doesn't like is extremely subjective so I won't call any out by name, but a few of the movies listed in this thread just pain me to see are not universally loved.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,397 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like any superhero film.
    I just find the monty python films unfunny

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any comedy

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would agree with Field of Dreams, who in their right mind would actually want ghosts to
    come out at night and play baseball. Better than rattling chains, sure, but they need to just leave.

Don't like any Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings because I'm not five to eight years old.
    Don't like pretty much any Quentin Tarantino movie like the Kill Bill or Travolta, Sam Jackson movie.
    Tarantino likes violence just for the sake of violence, or to see if it will shock anyone, who knows.
    Just a terrible film maker.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@dallasactuary said:
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Annie Hall
    Dr. Strangelove

I recognize that which movies one likes or doesn't like is extremely subjective so I won't call any out by name, but a few of the movies listed in this thread just pain me to see are not universally loved.

It's a Wonderful Life is pretty universally loved.

Agree with the other 4 of your choices.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Office Space(I get torched for this one often!)
    Gravity
    Raiders of the lost ark
    Mad Max

Didn't like Raiders?

Any particular reason?

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Didn't like Raiders?

Any particular reason?

Raiders is the only movie that I have ever paid to see twice.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.

@Coinstartled said:
    Didn't like Raiders?

Any particular reason?

just not into the storyline I guess. I have tried to watch it again at different times as I got older thinking I would grow into it more. Not happening yet! Lol. Something about certain "adventure" movies don't do much for me.

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Batman
    Jaws
    The Wizard of Oz
    Jurassic Park

Surprised by a lot of movies on some of your lists. The Lord of the Rings series are some of my favorite movies of all time. I love me some Star Wars to. Blazing Saddles and Monty Python are some of my favorite comedies. Field of Dreams is a classic baseball movie. But i guess everyone has their opinions.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

The fast and furious movies or whatever they're called. Hate tough guy movies.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

@MLBdays said:
    I could never ever understand the liking of Tom Hanks in Forest Gump.....WENT OVER MY HEAD......as in way over. I know I'm in the severe minority too. But I just didn't get the memo. I did get the memo however on OFFICE SPACE....yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh

I didn't relate to The Field of Dreams dreaminess but I liked The Natural much much better.

Watched about ten minutes of Gump many years after ift was released and that was more than enough. Dusting Hoffman was the way better challenged guy in Rainman.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hallco said:

hello Hallco. whaaaaat's happening? i'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow, so if you could be here around 9, that would be greeeeeat, mkay? oh, oh, and i almost forgot, uhhhh, i'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too, k? we, uhm, lost some people this week and, uh, we need to sorta play catch-up. thanks!!!

Until Orioles posted it I forgot about Wizard of Oz, which being from Kansas should be No. 1 on my list.
    The worst bit of movie making in the annals of cinema, maybe babies would enjoy it but
    once you gain cognitive reasoning skills you realize what a huge piece of trash this movie is.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@galaxy27 said:

@Hallco said:

hello Hallco. whaaaaat's happening? i'm gonna need you to go ahead and come in tomorrow, so if you could be here around 9, that would be greeeeeat, mkay? oh, oh, and i almost forgot, uhhhh, i'm also gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too, k? we, uhm, lost some people this week and, uh, we need to sorta play catch-up. thanks!!!

The weirdest part of this is the fact that I have worked in an office setting with multiple companies for almost 30 years of my life! Lol. I could definitely relate to the printer beatdown scene. Beyond that it just didn't hold my interest. Friends tell me I might have appreciated it more 20 years ago.

I did not like Pulp Fiction and have zero interest in seeing the Matrix. Those two movies always get brought up when talking movies with people

I liked the new Jason Bourne with Jeremy Renner.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'll never forget the first time i "watched" Pulp Fiction. i fell asleep at a buddy's place before it even started (not sure what that was all about......probs hungover), and all i remember was waking up right smack dab in the middle of the pawn shop basement scene. talk about timing. needless to say, that was somewhat disturbing and not at all what i expected, so i stopped watching altogether and wrote off the movie for the longest time.

then one day i decided to watch it in its entirety and it instantly became one of my top-5 movies of all time. no doubt quentin tarantino is a warped, sick f*ck, but that flick was a perfect amalgamation of comedy, drugs and violence.

sheer genius.

First Bourne was great, second was good, the rest are all ok. Well made movies with good casting, Damon was particularly convincing early on.

He's no Sean Connery though. ;-)

edited August 16, 2019 9:43AM

@galaxy27 said:
    i'll never forget the first time i "watched" Pulp Fiction. i fell asleep at a buddy's place before it even started (not sure what that was all about......probs hungover), and all i remember was waking up right smack dab in the middle of the pawn shop basement scene. talk about timing. needless to say, that was somewhat disturbing and not at all what i expected, so i stopped watching altogether and wrote off the movie for the longest time.

then one day i decided to watch it in its entirety and it instantly became one of my top-5 movies of all time. no doubt quentin tarantino is a warped, sick f*ck, but that flick was a perfect amalgamation of comedy, drugs and violence.

sheer genius.

I thought Pulp was terrible. Maybe I;ll try it again someday.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything with helicopters.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Coinstartled said:

@galaxy27 said:

sheer genius.

With “Pulp Fiction, you had set aside your moral scruples and scruples and look at the interlocking stories that lead back to the beginning. It was a masterful bit of screenwriting which used to be one of my favorite award categories before the Oscars went PC. Quentin Terrantono is a film maker you either love, respect or hate. All of his movies are thought provoking and perversely entertaining if you don’t have your kids, minister or wack-job brother-in-law with you at the movies.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@Coinstartled said:
    1. Star Wars
    2. Blazing Saddles
    3. GWTW (could only take 15 minutes)
    4. Jaws
    5. Field of Dreams

“Gone with the Wind”? Most people thought the FIRST HALF was the good part. The soap opera took over after that.

I thought that GWTW was one of great American films, but when the younger generation wants to tear down Confederate monuments, GWTW can’t be far behind. What do you expect? Do you think that Rhett and Scarlet should be saying, “You know that abolitionist, William Lloyd Garrison is right. We need to free Mammie and Big Jim right away!” Really?

It was written by a pro-southern author, and was an instant phenomenon in the U.S. in the late 1930s. And yes, I have read the book which has even more characters and plot elements.

I would skip Tarantino's new film 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' and instead watch
    'Once upon a time in the West' by a true legendary film maker Sergio Leone.
    After all, when you have blue eyed All American Henry Fonda as the despicable bad guy who would
    gun down a little boy while sporting a wicked smirk on his face, you have shocked the audience far
    more than anything Tarantino could lay down on film, which is his only goal when making movies.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

@galaxy27 said:

sheer genius.

With “Pulp Fiction, you had set aside your moral scruples and scruples and look at the interlocking stories that lead back to the beginning. It was a masterful bit of screenwriting which used to be one of my favorite award categories before the Oscars went PC. Quentin Terrantono is a film maker you either love, respect or hate. All of his movies are thought provoking and perversely entertaining if you don’t have your kids, minister or wack-job brother-in-law with you at the movies.

I don't like to think too much at the movies.

edited August 16, 2019 7:09PM

@Coinstartled said:

@BillJones said:

@Coinstartled said:

@galaxy27 said:

sheer genius.

I don't like to think too much at the movies.

I am the opposite. Ditto for plays and even musicals. I don’t like works that preach to me, however.

When I was in undergraduate school, I took a play and drama course. It was the easiest “A” I ever got. One time the professor said the “The Music Man” was light weight. He didn’t grow up in a small town when the old ladies leaned over their back fences and destroyed other woman’s reputations with idol gossip.

“Pick a little, talk a little. PIck! Pick! Pick! Pick a lot pick a little more!” ...

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anything made by Bollywood design to distort history manipulating stereotypes and disparity to our public servants. So too many to list here.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dr. Srangelove and The Great Dictator are my choices for the top two satires ever filmed

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Annie Hall
    Dr. Strangelove

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I would skip Tarantino's new film 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' and instead watch
    'Once upon a time in the West' by a true legendary film maker Sergio Leone.
    After all, when you have blue eyed All American Henry Fonda as the despicable bad guy who would
    gun down a little boy while sporting a wicked smirk on his face, you have shocked the audience far
    more than anything Tarantino could lay down on film, which is his only goal when making movies.

I agree that Tarantino has become quite bloated at this stage. However, True Romance is a truly great movie and Reservoir Dogs was also excellent. Great dialog and tight storytelling in both where the actors were given a lot to work with and could shine like stars no matter the scene. I always tell people who never saw True Romance that the cast could not have assembled even two years later and I defy anyone to name a lesser known film with a longer list of spectacular actors who were all mostly unknown at the time. Incredible confluence of talent on the film which was written but QT but directed by Tony Scott.

QT is proof that giving a person more money does not mean they’ll spend it well or produce better films.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this Clarence signature is autopen or not?

Be careful with this, because there are a lot of fake Clarence autographs out there.

edited August 19, 2019 2:51AM

I’m sorry but “It’s a Wonderful Life” is in my top 10 favorite movies. Not sure how anyone can dislike it, it’s also very confusing to me why it was a box office bomb when it came out. Very strange

@perkdog said:
    I’m sorry but “It’s a Wonderful Life” is in my top 10 favorite movies. Not sure how anyone can dislike it, it’s also very confusing to me why it was a box office bomb when it came out. Very strange

I read a Jimmy Stewart biography "The Truth Behind the Legend" by Michael Munn (great book btw) and the movie wasn't really a "bomb", finishing just out of the top 10 in 1946.

Some truly great movies that year as well, but it is surprising it didn't finish higher. Perhaps with WWll just ending people weren't in the mood for that movie. Pretty depressing until the ending.

@JoeBanzai Ok, I was under the impression that it had awful reviews that year. To this day when I watch it it puts me in a better mood lol. I know it’s a cliche but it’s a mandatory watch on Christmas Eve. Tradition 👍

^^ABSOLUTELY^^

In the book, most of the cast thought they made a special movie. Some critics complained it was too "sentimental".

In comparison to today's popularity is was kind of a "bomb" when released.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you recall the scenes affectionately known as "Zuzu's Petals" whereby some petals fell off of Zuzu's flower and she wanted Daddy to fix it by putting the petals back on the flower. George fibbed a bit and told his daughter he fixed it while putting the loose petals in his pocket. Later when he met Clarence, George wasn't sure if he was really back into his "real life" until he quickly searched his pocket and found the petals in there. Some terrific story writing there as is for the entire movie.

I only brought up Zuzu's Petals because when Zuzu loved looking at her flower so much, that scene always reminds me of the joy we here receive from looking at our cherished and interesting collectibles such as coins and cards.

I think the story writer was likely a collector of some sort, perhaps stamps which was big at that time, and his collection interest influenced that scene. Also illustrating how our parents, in that scene Zuzu's father, can be helpful and supportive in showing children the enjoyment involved in collecting.

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

Citizen Cane - watched it only because it ranks as one of the greatest of all time. Could not understand all the fuss.
    Casablanca was ok but certainly not iconic like it is made out to be.
    Gone With The Wind - I would never sit through all 17 hours of that again.

I do like Wizard of OZ, Pride of the Yankees and It's a Wonderful Life, so it isnt just an old movie bias against the first 3.

@stevek said:
    If you recall the scenes affectionately known as "Zuzu's Petals" whereby some petals fell off of Zuzu's flower and she wanted Daddy to fix it by putting the petals back on the flower. George fibbed a bit and told his daughter he fixed it while putting the loose petals in his pocket. Later when he met Clarence, George wasn't sure if he was really back into his "real life" until he quickly searched his pocket and found the petals in there. Some terrific story writing there as is for the entire movie.

I only brought up Zuzu's Petals because when Zuzu loved looking at her flower so much, that scene always reminds me of the joy we here receive from looking at our cherished and interesting collectibles such as coins and cards.

I think the story writer was likely a collector of some sort, perhaps stamps which was big at that time, and his collection interest influenced that scene. Also illustrating how our parents, in that scene Zuzu's father, can be helpful and supportive in showing children the enjoyment involved in collecting.

Nice dissertation 😂👍