• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

I vote (not often) and when they are, it is often a classic design reissued

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Sac dollar is an attractive and well done design with the original reverse.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some are but it is a small percentage.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I pretty much only deal in modern coins. Some of the best designs by far :o

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes... Including those minted beyond our borders.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

define Modern.

• Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin was designed by Tiffany and Company. You can see "T&Co" below the date. This coin would look really great if it were struck in ultra high relief. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1999 GW $5 is a very attractive coin and one of my favorites.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:
    define Modern.

Anything not hammered? ;)

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, they can be.... However, most are too commercialized, lacking real art. Those that do incorporate art (some platinum, ASE's, early Sacagawea's, AGE's (especially the high relief), are real treasures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mods are a Booming market.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my picture, but I really like this design:

• Options

Many of the APE (American Platinum Eagle) designs are quite beautiful.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. :#

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Minted the last few years, no one can state this isn't an attractive modern coin.

I can, it is not an attractive modern coin. It is in fact not a coin at all, but a counterfeit.

• Options

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@abcde12345 said:
    Minted the last few years, no one can state this isn't an attractive modern coin.

I can, it is not an attractive modern coin. It is in fact not a coin at all, but a counterfeit.

It's not a counterfeit. Technically it's a fantasy coin overstruck on a genuine Peace dollar.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@abcde12345 said:

It's not a counterfeit. Technically it's a fantasy coin overstruck on a genuine Peace dollar.

AKA a counterfeit. It is certainly not a modern coin.

• Options
    earlycoinsearlycoins Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@PerryHall said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@abcde12345 said:

A “counterfeit” is something created in an attempt to fool the unwary, that it is real.

Mr. Carr’s pieces are representations of coins that never existed, and therefore are neither copies, nor counterfeits.

They are fantasy pieces.

• Options

@earlycoins said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@PerryHall said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@abcde12345 said:

A “counterfeit” is something created in an attempt to fool the unwary, that it is real.

Mr. Carr’s pieces are representations of coins that never existed, and therefore are neither copies, nor counterfeits.

They are fantasy pieces.

Not necessary, the intent of the maker to deceive the person they are selling to is not a requirement to label something a counterfeit. Think of the Chinese counterfeiters who sell to people that know they are not getting original goods. Here is what Wikipedia says about counterfeits products.

"Counterfeit products are fakes or unauthorized replicas of the real product. Counterfeit products are often produced with the intent to take advantage of the superior value of the imitated product. The word counterfeit frequently describes both the forgeries of currency and documents, as well as the imitations of items such as clothing, handbags, shoes, pharmaceuticals, aviation and automobile parts, watches, electronics (both parts and finished products), software, works of art, toys, and movies."

I understand there is a lot of "group think" among members of this board. They like Mr. Carr, so they come up with crazy rational to justify what they are supporting.

I understand this is not the thread to discuss, Mr. Carr's work, but can we at least agree that they are not coins, and should not be posted in this thread as examples of "Modern coins." Post it in the Mr. Carr thread so I don't have to look at it.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like mod bullion coins - sell many slabbed ones at shows.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

I think of moderns as post 1964.

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2019 6:45PM

Absolutely!

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going to say no ... but some of these examples are quite attractive.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Photo inserted for @Cougar1978

Very nice

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@earlycoins said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@PerryHall said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@abcde12345 said:

They are fantasy pieces.

I understand this is not the thread to discuss, Mr. Carr's work, but can we at least agree that they are not coins, and should not be posted in this thread as examples of "Modern coins."

You are correct, technically these aren't coins, but are considered tokens. As far as this not being the thread to post these examples, this is his thread. He is allowed to post anything coin related he chooses, whether it be bullion, hobo nickels, hard time tokens or Daniel Carr material

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    I pretty much only deal in modern coins. Some of the best designs by far :o

Except you only like modern coins when someone has messed up the design... ;)

• Options

@Paradisefound said:

yes

Technically not a coin. [just saying]

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@Tomthecoinguy said:

@abcde12345 said:

It's definitely not a coin. A coin would have to be issued by a government, would it not? Whether you want to consider it a counterfeit, a fantasy, or a medallic issue, is up to you.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2019 9:59AM

yes ...... I missed your discussions and different takes on rainbow of views :)

@jmlanzaf said:

@Paradisefound said:

yes

Technically not a coin. [just saying]

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2019 10:18AM

@BryceM said:

I'm a bit late to this thread, but I have to say the obverse on this coin, so clean and all the focus on Liberty, is in my opinion beautiful. The reverse, not so much....

Also I'm not a "cent" guy but the OP's cent is an exceptional example to me. There is potential but for some reason the mint just doesn't seem to grasp the artistic level we once had.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

It's all good whichever you may call it .......

Hang loose

@Tomthecoinguy said:
    This is a coin forum. The title of the thread is also "modern Coins".

I don't think D Carr stuff should even be allowed on this forum at all, at least in the context of someone proporting them to be a "coin" (except for the couple real state quarters he designed). It really gets me when someone makes a post calling it a "coin." If that isn't deceptive, I don't know what is.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file