Home Sports Talk
Options

Who were the "born" super athletes that didn't have to work at it?

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Babe Ruth comes to mind.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usain Bolt. I don't think you really have to work hard to run fast. You're either born fast or you ain't.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rapid Robert and his heater from Van Meter. Came so easy to him that he was an MLB pitcher at 17, then later took 4 years off to serve in WWII, and came back and picked up right where he left off. I think all athletes have to work hard at their craft to some extent, but certainly Bob Feller was blessed with a natural gift of throwing a baseball exceptionally well.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gene Tenace

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Thorpe.

• Options

Kareem, at least when he got to 7 feet.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:
    Rapid Robert and his heater from Van Meter. Came so easy to him that he was an MLB pitcher at 17, then later took 4 years off to serve in WWII, and came back and picked up right where he left off. I think all athletes have to work hard at their craft to some extent, but certainly Bob Feller was blessed with a natural gift of throwing a baseball exceptionally well.

Al Kaline went from high school to the major leagues. And became a star very quickly.
    I don't believe Bo Jackson liked to work out or lift weights, he was a natural super athlete.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

John McEnroe's naturally gifted hand eye coordination.

Andre Agassi

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options

Earl Anthony was born to bowl.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Patrick Mahomes
    Eli and Peyton Manning

Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Boone family

Isaiah Thomas, Jr.
    Kobe Bryant

All great players with great players as their dad. They’re all great in their own right - for sure - but what we’re the chances they were putting Peyton on the line in ‘Pee Wee’ football, you know?

Born with good genes AND a silver spoon to boot!

Tough to beat...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Patrick Mahomes
    Eli and Peyton Manning

Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Boone family

Isaiah Thomas, Jr.
    Kobe Bryant

All great players with great players as their dad. They’re all great in their own right - for sure - but what we’re the chances they were putting Peyton on the line in ‘Pee Wee’ football, you know?

Tough to beat...

Isaiah Thomas Jr.

Nope ;)

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Patrick Mahomes
    Eli and Peyton Manning

Barry Bonds
    Ken Griffey, Jr.
    Boone family

Isaiah Thomas, Jr.
    Kobe Bryant

Tough to beat...

Isaiah Thomas Jr.

Nope ;)

Got no dog in the fight; he had become a pretty good player before he hurt his hip, though. And whether you agree with him as a great player or not, I have no doubt you’ll agree that his name played a role in his getting an NBA opportunity in the first place.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

Well yeah. except....

• Options
    TennisCoachTennisCoach Posts: 302 ✭✭✭

This is not to say these athletes didn't work hard, but some of these guys could roll out of bed and do great things based on being super athletes. Vince Carter, Giannis, Shaq (very few people his size had his strength and could still move and do the things he did), Wilt Chamberlain, Derrick Coleman (naturally basketball gifted and didn't have to grind like other players did)
    Michael Vick, Gael Monfils (extremely athletic in his younger years), Karch Kiraly (natural athlete made everything he did look easy), Calvin Johnson (Megatron), Billy Sims (His scouting report was off the chart), JJ Watt (He's the type of athlete that could retire for 3 years, come back and still earn a starting job)

Maybe even add Andre the Giant, I don't think he had to work to hard. Also I heard he actually put a couple guys out unintentionally while using that massive head butt. Plus what other athlete could down 30 beers the night before and then choke slam a 250 lb man while only using one hand. At least he was a good dude even while being a heel.

Family, Neighborhood, Community,
    make the World a better place.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:

True dat. He made bowling look as easy as taking a stroll. Mark Roth would be sweating like a pig after four frames, but I think Earl could have bowled from sunup to sundown without forming a single bead.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@Coinstartled said:

True dat. He made bowling look as easy as taking a stroll. Mark Roth would be sweating like a pig after four frames, but I think Earl could have bowled from sunup to sundown without forming a single bead.

His nickname was 'The Machine'

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bo Jackson was the greatest athlete of the modern era. He was gifted with abilities far beyond any athletes of his time. He never touched a weight, never practiced, well not hard and went from baseball to football mid season and still dominated. For those here a bit young to remember him just look at the film and see his bios.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2019 3:32PM

I think it is an interesting list. Some perhaps the best ever (Kareem). Some almost (Shaq-if only he could have practiced his free throws he might be #1). Some, like Vick, so far from the best ever but might have been if he practiced-he admitted he didn't.

Edit to add: I have said before I think a determined Vick would be top 5 ever for sure

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Babe Ruth comes to mind.

Yes. He drank, ate and partied all to excess and kept playing well, except for 1925 when he had his “big belly ache” which was probably something else. His skills left him at an age when most athletes come to the end of the road. Even then he managed to hit three homers in one game.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?