1937 Adam Pietz medal
Namvet69
Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked this nice medal up today at a flea market for $3. It was in a filthy small bag on a table of junk jewelry. Google on the fly let me know that Pietz was a medalist, engraver and U.S.mint employee in Philadelphia. Anyone know why he made this self portrait and is the rev his family crest? Slight horizontal misalignment gives it character. Oh yeah, any idea of current value. I'd say it's EF+ IMO. Peace Roy
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW
Comments
No idea of value...but for $3 it is a good pickup....I would think it has a very limited market, JMO.....nice condition and I like the reverse....Cheers, RickO
@ricko I couldn't believe the rev was so pristine. That cloth bag provided protection and kept the dirt of ages out of the details. BTW I just dug an 1897 IHC with strong Longacres doubling on the rev. It's soaking in distilled water. I'll post it in the detecting forum shortly. Have a good day.
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW
@Namvet69 .... I look forward to seeing the IHC...Cheers, RickO
I've never seen that medal before. It would make a great item for a specialized Adam Pietz medal exhibit.
At $3 you certainly didn't "overpay"! Nice find.
wait for Zoins to wake up and he'll tell you about it.
Extracted:
@Zoins and @RogerB both had threads on Pietz fairly recently, if I read correctly.
Thanks @Hemispherical for opening them up. So "immer vorwartz" means always forward.
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW
That particular Pietz medal comes in several different metals and also each side is found struck uniface with a blank reverse. That is the family arms on the reverse -- he also designed and struck uniface medals of his two daughters (individually) and a young boy often identified as his son. Teddy Roosevelt, Greta Garbo, Ben Franklin, Charles Lindbergh and other major and minor figures are also subjects of his smaller (under 38mm) medallic work.
@tokenpro thanks for the info. Do you know if he minted this medal in his studio on Chestnut St in Philadelphia? I did see his name below the crest. There's no markings on the edge. You have any idea of value or recent sales? Have a good day. Peace Roy
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW
Interesting, and well worth $3. How big is it?
The reverse (German) literally translates as "Always Forward", but I also found a meaning of "Onward and Upward".
The obverse is in English which is odd given the German on the back. It appears to be his personal medal which he gave to people ("Greetings from...").
@jbk 38.4 mm and 28g. The crest is very detailed, he must have been proud of his lineage.
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW
I believe that I read that much of Pietz' output was struck at Jos. K. Davison's Sons, a well know Philadelphia die sinker that worked closely with the U.S. Mint. In one auction Heritage hazily alluded to one medal being struck AT the Philadelphia Mint but I have not seen any supporting documentation of that attribution.. A number of PIetz medals can be found in the auction archives of Stacks-Bowers, Heritage, PCAC, eBay, etc.
Awesome pickup at that price. Definitely not easy to locate. However, they sell occassionally and I dont think $100 is unreasonable.
Strange that all the text is concentric with the rim except the word "from," which is mostly crooked. ?
Here is the link by Zion and there is a picture of your coin but different material bronze vs Lead That Zion posted. So he would be the person to ask for sure.
https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1017150/advanced-adam-pietz-so-called-dollar-collection-sold
Here is the picture and happy reading nice find

Or $300!
Gluggo's version seems to have a curved - but still crooked - "from."
Yes the word "From" is curved and slightly tilted to the left. Thanks all.
BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken oih82w8, DCW